First accident... on Xmas EVE!

Ugh guys I feel like rubbish to be honest.

Long story short, I was delivering to a store that I used to work at today and it was absolutely packed inside and out. People, cars, dogs, you name it and they were there. The loading bay is quite tight anyway, but cars in the parking spaces next to the bay had their noses sticking out into the loading bay and I was paying a lot of attention to them when reversing and figuring out if my overhang would hit them; I ended up scraping my ex-store managers car on the rear bumper on my N/S as I was paying slightly too much attention to the parked cars on my O/S! I feel so stupid - I literally tapped his car and pulled off a tiny tiny amount of paint with no dent at all.

I’ve gone through the official process with my company but I am afraid that it seems I have lost my £3000 per year bonus because of such a small accident :confused:

I feel really rubbish and a bit like a failure to be honest as, given the circumstances, I didn’t divide my attention properly. Can’t believe it happened on Xmas eve on my last drop of the day too!

Am I being overly harsh on myself? I realise that no one is perfect and you are bound to have accidents especially if you are a new driver.

Merry Christmas guys, really hope 2018 brings good fortune to all of you :smiley:

Noses sticking out in to loading bay ! though luck if they get scraped staff should know better

They weren’t the staff’s cars and the car park, although it is out the back of Tesco, actually belongs to M&S next door! Meaning we couldn’t get them moved

Car I scraped was on the other side where more cars were parked grr

This bonus BS is why i will not work for that kind of firm.£3k for a small knock.I’d be looking for a real job that pays per hour without pathetic bonuses.
Good luck.

It’s good pay for class 2 and I’m at home 9 hours after starting so I can’t complain really. forgot about it at the time but it would have been cheaper just to repair the car personally and call it at that… Wouldn’t have costed me 3k…

Jordon, you’ve made a mistake, but nobody was hurt, bit of a ■■■■■■ to lose you bonus, but again nobody was hurt.
Learn from your mistake, but don’t let it eat away at you.

jordon1703:
forgot about it at the time but it would have been cheaper just to repair the car personally and call it at that… Wouldn’t have costed me 3k…

This may be fine if you bump someone in your own vehicle but do not do it in a company one. Soon as your employer finds out you’ll be out of a job as well as out of pocket.

harrawaffa:

jordon1703:
forgot about it at the time but it would have been cheaper just to repair the car personally and call it at that… Wouldn’t have costed me 3k…

This may be fine if you bump someone in your own vehicle but do not do it in a company one. Soon as your employer finds out you’ll be out of a job as well as out of pocket.

Good point didn’t think of that

As they say, ■■■■ happens!

I have been driving since August and like you have had a couple of minor bumps. Main thing is noone was hurt. Regards the bonus as others have said, get a different job as that’s been set up to look good but nearly never pay out.

As for the cars belonging to someone else’s shop there comes a time to say no sorry I can’t do it. Move or it goes back.

I work for an ok place but was given a 442 mile run on Friday. I tried but realised I wouldn’t get it done. Was my 6th day so couldn’t night out. Rang and said need a trailer change or I will bring it back. 10 minutes later got the call to say the other driver was on the way. Noone was funny over it.

I work for a supermarket and the delivery bays are often obstructed by pallets,cages,bales of cardboard etc,If in the slightest doubt ,get out and look,get them to move any obstruction,they will grudgingly ,with the old favourite “Well ,the last driver got it in all right!”.You`re the one who will have to fill in the accident report.not them.

Don’t worry mate, I made of slip ups once I got my class one.
I did a U turn in a restaurant car park in Portugal .
As I turned the back of my trailer took the front off a tourism coach.
Another one, tore off a trailer door from a loading bay .
Even experienced drivers have slip ups.

if your workng for 1 of those large store delivery mobs then if the access isnt 100% clear,just refuse to go in and tell the store manager the reason why.
when i had the misfortune to work for tesco for a cpl years you were told that if you wernt happy about any aspect of the delivery,then just stop,refuse to enter,tell the manager why,and let hm either resolve the issue,or contact the traffic office to explain why you consider it unsafe for you to enter,and let them sort it ut with the manager.
for that kind of work,then there is nobody on your side,and it makes no difference to you if they get the load or not.
you dont try to wriggle in,you dont go to ask who owns what car.just sit tight,explain its unsuitable compared to the risk assessment that you will have ben given,and pass the buck to the manager.
that way,the buck stops at him as to why the delivery isnt happening.

jordon1703:

Long story short, I was delivering to a store that I used to work at today and it was absolutely packed inside and out. People, cars, dogs, you name it and they were there. The loading bay is quite tight anyway, but cars in the parking spaces next to the bay had their noses sticking out into the loading bay and I was paying a lot of attention to them when reversing and figuring out if my overhang would hit them; I ended up scraping my ex-store managers car on the rear bumper on my N/S as I was paying slightly too much attention to the parked cars on my O/S! I feel so stupid - I literally tapped his car and pulled off a tiny tiny amount of paint with no dent at all.

I’ve gone through the official process with my company but I am afraid that it seems I have lost my £3000 per year bonus because of such a small accident :confused:

I feel really rubbish and a bit like a failure to be honest as, given the circumstances, I didn’t divide my attention properly. Can’t believe it happened on Xmas eve on my last drop of the day too!

Am I being overly harsh on myself? I realise that no one is perfect and you are bound to have accidents especially if you are a new driver.

Merry Christmas guys, really hope 2018 brings good fortune to all of you :smiley:

Pcl pay bonus x2 £1500 6 months, so maybe you only lost £1500 ?

wolves:

jordon1703:

Pcl pay bonus x2 £1500 6 months, so maybe you only lost £1500 ?

As far as I’m aware it’s all or nothing

Should’ve waited for the owner to return and come to a settlement. Seems like a £60 job at a body shop has just cost you 3k

■■■■ that. You shouldn’t be fined for having a knock; no matter how good you are it comes with the job.
I’d look for another job. If my firm ever tried taking money off me for having a accident I would walk out on the spot. Chances are though they wont as they need drivers. :grimacing:

You shouldn’t be losing all your bonus, it might cost £100 to £500 to get the car fixed, assume the upper figure because people can’t help themselves taking the ■■■■ when the opportunity arises, so worse case you still have £2500 in the accident bonus fund, though i reckon you’ll have £2750 left once the job has been fixed.

If you’ve lost the full £3k for this then as said its time for another job mate, but looking on the bright side you don’t need to be so careful in future, might as well be £10,000 worth of damage as £100 worth of they’re going to screw you and till the next bonus period starts you’ve got nothing at all to lose :wink:

Speak to the top man you work for first thing in the new year, not one of his oil rags, find out exactly what the bonus situation is, my gut feeling is some arse is winding you up telling you its all lost.
If that turns out to be the case, you know in your heart what to do.

i took the bumper clean off an old micra a few years ago with the tail lift tryng to navigate down a street full of parked cars whilst trying to avoid the orange walk in belfast.
the car was worth £300 on a good day.
i lifted the bumper,kicked it back on and there wasnt a scratch. all that needed done was to re,attatch a cpl of 10 mil speednuts inside the grll as the wee plastic loops had torn off and needed a washer put on the 2 speednuts…
i offered to do it for him myself and come back the next day and offered him a few quid from myself for the sake of easyness and peace.
he got the cops,i had to tell them to look insde the grill as you could not see any damage whatoever t the bumper who then basically advised him to do the same as he was being a complete fanny,but nothing would do him apart from making the biggest fuss so he could get a claim against tesco as he didnt like their trucks going past his door to reach the store.
as you can imagine it turned into a murder inquiry with me having to go straight back to the rdc,■■■■ test,then they bring in a doctor for a drugs test,then the paperwork for an accident report and all the usual crap after that.
the car was empty at the time so he couldnt claim personal injury,but he just was looking to screw cash from tesco.
for the o/p,id be taking pictures f the cars parked overhanging the loading bay and see what could be wangled there.

Wow thanks for comments guys. I’ll talk to the big boss in the new year and see what he says personally about the bonus situation. It does seem a little dodge to just take it all away with one minor accident

I’m interested in one thing. Will having an accident in a hgv (when doing your work under employer’s insurance) affect the insurence premium for a private car? Is it necessary to inform about it when you buying a new insurance?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk