First accident ever

The excess is not payable if it is only third party damage. This is why he was asked to pay the £100 for damage to the vehicle instead of the excess.

I would have told him to get funked and also say that liability is disputed, but as most would say… Anything for a quiet life.

You almost described identically what happened to me a week last Monday ago. I indicated to move into the left hand lane and colided with a car that was in my ‘blind spot’. I’ve never believed in there being a blind spot, and have always made extra effort when swapping lanes to lean forward and check check check. However it was dark, raining, and I was tired.
All this contributed to my first HGV accident in 14 years. £140’s worth of damage to the car, none to the truck. I did offer to pay half of the cost but my employer was very reasonable and paid the chap cash for the repair. It did knock my confidence for a few days. All back on track now.

K5Project:
That’s fine but he still got to pay the excess as you’ve damage the other car (only really beneficial to pay when you’ve hit a wall in the yard or something and its not classed as a accident)and they will be claiming so he might as well let the insurance fix the truck too

Also check your contract to make sure you don’t have to pay excess and a damages and don’t pay otherwise the next question he will ask is well you paid the £100 to fix the truck but cars claimed against us can you pay the £500 excess

The insurance “excess” is only payable on your own damage - any 3rd party claim is covered in full by your insurer (assuming it’s your fault, of course…).

Car drivers fault.
Has anyone on here that drives a truck, been taken out by a truck in their car similar to this… No… Car drivers fault.
Poor spacial awareness
Poor forward planning
Poor lane discipline
It’s a fact that if the car driver could actually drive then he wouldn’t have been in this accident.
Car drivers fault.
:slight_smile:

Everything usersteve said,especially the learning curve and the fact you’ll never forget it. You sound like a driver that gives a toss and that has to be applauded.

Tipper Tom:
Didn’t kick my ■■■ about the accident when I got back to the yard but has said I need to pay for the damage, which I think’s fair enough tbh.

Like hell it is. He has insurance - this is what it is for.

Unless it is written into the terms and conditions of your contract then he can go whistle. If it is and it is an unreasonable amount you can contest it as an unfair term. Unless at fault accidents are written into your contract as gross misconduct he can’t sack you.

I suppose I should pay towards the 5 punctures I’ve had in 6 weeks then.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Car drivers fault.
Has anyone on here that drives a truck, been taken out by a truck in their car similar to this… No… Car drivers fault.
Poor spacial awareness
Poor forward planning
Poor lane discipline
It’s a fact that if the car driver could actually drive then he wouldn’t have been in this accident.
Car drivers fault.
:slight_smile:

Yeah, what he said^^^^:)

Tipper Tom:
In 14 years driving and 5 years HGV I’ve never had a accident and it’s annoying me that I can never say that again. I almost feel like I ought not to be driving HGVs.

No real shame in it fella, I doubt there are many drivers out there who have never, ever hit anything. However better to feel ‘guilty’ about it than be like one of those ‘drivers’ that seem to regarding damaging stuff as an occupational hazard of the job.

Not too sure about having to pay for the damage, however.

ROG:
If you had the signal on with plenty of time for others to see what you intended to do along with time for them to react and did all the mirror checks you could then you did all that was reasonably possible

Agree with that, sort of.

An indicator is just that- and indication, it’s not an automatic right of way.
I see to many trucks who whack on the indicator and go.

Muckaway:
I suppose I should pay towards the 5 punctures I’ve had in 6 weeks then.

Ha Ha ! That’ll teach you to go off road ! Lol !

Would be a bit different if you’d offered to pay. IMO

Are you sort of probationary there though?

Conor:
Unless at fault accidents are written into your contract as gross misconduct he can’t sack you.

Pay attention Conor, he’s self employed !! :laughing: :laughing: And he’s also said he has no contract.

I am afraid drivers who pay for their own damage, live on the same planet as those who work for nought to gain experience amid those who pay for their own fuel and digi rolls :open_mouth:

Fit a fresnel lens to the passenger window.

What i can never work out is, why, before a car driver gets clobbered by a truck (and we know its a frequent occurrence) do they never sound the horn to alert their presence as soon as they see the truck start to move over?
Numpties!

Yes, its true, a lot of trucks (and cars) indicate and move at the same time. Indicator should always be on a few seconds to give clear warning before a lane change etc. is begun.

Own Account Driver:
Would be a bit different if you’d offered to pay. IMO

Are you sort of probationary there though?

No I’m not probationary as far as I know, I’m there full time or until I find something better :slight_smile:

Driveroneuk:
Yes, its true, a lot of trucks (and cars) indicate and move at the same time. Indicator should always be on a few seconds to give clear warning before a lane change etc. is begun.

I had the indicator on for a good 50 yards, but I understand where you’re coming from. It’s funny though you never hear of a lorry driver getting side swiped in their car.

Wheel Nut:
I am afraid drivers who pay for their own damage, live on the same planet as those who work for nought to gain experience amid those who pay for their own fuel and digi rolls :open_mouth:

This ^^^^

And the same planet that thinks that having a new ToplineGlobetrotterXFBellsandWhistles make it ok to work for a bag of beans…

If you pay up now, you set a precedent. What will you do if you’re unlucky enough to cause two grands worth of damage at some stage? Your boss will say ‘well, you paid up last time it was your fault’ and he’ll be right - you did!

I’d apologise certainly, but explain that the insurance company pays for damage, not the driver.

Driveroneuk:
Fit a fresnel lens to the passenger window.

What i can never work out is, why, before a car driver gets clobbered by a truck (and we know its a frequent occurrence) do they never sound the horn to alert their presence as soon as they see the truck start to move over?
Numpties!

We as westerners don’t use the horn in the correct way unlike Asia and less ‘developed’ countries (I use the word developed loosely as most seem to have more common sense than us).

If a few more drivers had to pay it might make them stop and think about what there doing rather than the big company mentality of “it aint my truck so it aint my problem”
I do agree that for genuine accidents as this seems to be getting the driver to pay is a tad harsh. .
I was in an artic wedged down a lane in Norfolk today and the only escape involved a large tree that put a hole in the mirror casing, :imp::evil: as I feel it was my fault as I should’ve done what I always tell the newbies and stopped before I got wedged I replaced the mirror backing :smiley::grin: