First 4 hour lesson class 1

Hi all

Just had my first c+e 4 hr lesson. ive been driving class2’s for nearly 12 months and it appears some bad habits have set in lol.

1.The gearknob is not a hand rest for your left hand
2.Examiners prefer 2 hands on the wheel rather than just the one
3.Being in the correct gear on approach to a roundabout is preferable to fishing around with your left hand and flicking the ratio switch up an down like some deranged nutter.

Reversed back in a straight line no problem…realised after doing the slalom that perhaps im not all that after all. Big smile on instructors face as he exclaimed “Yep…we will work on that a bit more”.

Overall ive had a great day and really enjoyed it-cant wait for my next 4hr stint(fortnight today).

Brings home to you just HOW GOOD experienced and patient instructors are…HUGE respect to you all!!!

What LGV school is it that has fixed you up with fortnightly 4 hour lessons?

Hi ROG

Im using Red Rose training at Kearsley(near Bolton). I asked for next Monday for my next lesson but although one of the artics is available he doesn’t have an instructor spare so I said I would have the following Monday.

I drive Tuesday-Saturday and Sunday is sacred golf day lol. The other thing is I have 2 weeks hols booked for March (10 working days) -got to use them or lose them before 31 March,so any time off in the week would be unpaid. Which would make my girlfiend cross her arms and stare at me in an intimidating manner.

ROG:
What LGV school is it that has fixed you up with fortnightly 4 hour lessons?

It’s not a bad way of doing your training. I have done this a few times so the trainee can pay as they go. It’s also a lot less stressful for the candidate as well.

This is the norm in car lessons and works well in the trucks.

Paul :smiley:

When I took my school over 30 years ago, the norm was 2 hour sessions once or twice a week. And it worked ok. But the trend has gone to intensive courses (as it has, to an extent, with cars) and that works better IMO. But we still fit folks in wherever we can if it’s going to help them and provide a sensible learning pattern.

One of the current favourites is to hammer it on Saturday and Sunday, then pass the test Monday.

Works for many; wouldn’t suit everyone.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The plan is to try and drive over the next fortnight using the methods instructed to me today. Its very easy with a nice new 18 tonne Merc Antos auto to drive like a bone idle ■■■■■■. Hopefully I will end up in a couple of our older manual axor’s or Daf’s and keep the slowing down,correct gear procedure going. Problem is,all our manuals are straight six boxes which is very easy but I can still work on my speed etc I suppose.

It works equally well if not better for the trainee (these are my findings) most school don’t like to spread lessons over a few weeks or months as it doesn’t suit their schedule.

Paul :smiley:

It’s not a bad idea to spread them if the trainee is already doind class 2 work. Every day he can be taught/reminded of new things and spend the next week at work refining those things so at the next lesson it’s there naturally.

eagerbeaver:
The plan is to try and drive over the next fortnight using the methods instructed to me today. Its very easy with a nice new 18 tonne Merc Antos auto to drive like a bone idle ■■■■■■. Hopefully I will end up in a couple of our older manual axor’s or Daf’s and keep the slowing down,correct gear procedure going. Problem is,all our manuals are straight six boxes which is very easy but I can still work on my speed etc I suppose.

Good way to get rid of bad habits :smiley:

Tip - your 6 gear truck has 3 gears for low and 3 for high so tap the top of the gearstick before going between those two ‘ranges’

…and that’s why you are an instructor!!!

Great tip ROG-THANKS.

Quick question though…do I tap the gearknob after ive checked my PDA,lit up a cig,checked my notes,calculated an alternative route on the sat-nav and peeled a crème egg wrapper…or before?? lol.

eagerbeaver:
…and that’s why you are an instructor!!!

Great tip ROG-THANKS.

Quick question though…do I tap the gearknob after ive checked my PDA,lit up a cig,checked my notes,calculated an alternative route on the sat-nav and peeled a crème egg wrapper…or before?? lol.

You have to do it WHILST you are drinking coffee and eating a sarny … yeah right !! :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
checked my PDA,lit up a cig,checked my notes,calculated an alternative route on the sat-nav and peeled a crème egg wrapper

If you’ve not learnt those skills yet then you’ll need lots more than 16 hours tuition. You could take the intensive learning option and become a skip driver.

Haha LMAO I love this site!!!

Thought about skip work but I don’t own a coffee stained string vest and although ive got tattoo’s,i don’t think I have enough. Is it a separate test to smash down branches??