Firms that pay for training

Hi All,

I have been viewing the forums for quite some time now and I enjoy reading all of your posts and learning a lot from all of the more experienced drivers on here.

I am keen to pursue a career in the road transport industry. I have had a keen interest in transportation from a young age, as my father was a HGV driver for over 26 years and I would like to follow in his footsteps.

Does anyone know if there are any firms in Somerset that would fund me acquiring my HGV licence?

I have already acquired my HGV Cat C provisional entitlement if that helps in some way.

Many thanks

Adam

In all honesty mate you’d be better off paying yourself so you are not tied down to one company and lower wages.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:
In all honesty mate you’d be better off paying yourself so you are not tied down to one company and lower wages.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This would be the best option in my opinion also [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0% for 2 years credit card :bulb:

As already said pay for it yourself,simple reason you go with a company who will pay,it’s not the company doing it for their own good and being helpful,it’s a cynical way of trapping you and giving them the right to screw you over for 2 years or more.
Rog’s idea of a credit card sounds like an idea

Jeff.

Interesting most people think that your tied down. Not always the case. Either way mate best of luck for the future!!

You will find it hard to find a company that will pay your training from van to artic.
Mainly due to there being so many van drivers even if you did find a company that offered the training the chances of them picking you prob wouldn’t be high (people being there longer would prob get priority) .
Best bet is to get your class 2, quite a few firms that train class 2 to class 1.

Thanks for all of the information.

I will go away and investigate.

Thank you and have a good weekend!

I don’t know where people are getting the information that you’re tied down and on ■■■■ wages if you take this way forward, its just not true from my experience…

when I did both class 1&2 though my company it cost me about £2500 total. a lot cheaper than going it alone.

I was then NOT tied to the company at all in fact I was told I could leave right away if i wished all i had to do was pay back the full amount when i left. but if (and I did) stayed they would take £50 a week until the total was paid.

I was also not on ■■■■ money, from day 1 i was on the full pay as all the other drivers, and as my first 2 weeks were spent with another driver this was at cost to the company.

and lastly and in my eyes this overrides everything and that is they will give you a job at the end of it all… How may people on here do you see saying they cant get a start or are stuck on agency doing crap jobs?

the only “down” side is it did take me about 4 mouths to get both licences but I think that’s a small price to pay relative to all the bonus’s

In my eyes this is the best way to get your licence and get a start. (not all company’s will be the same but this is my experience)