Firms of the past

anyone remember norwest holst murphys kennedys etc any pics or stories would be good

Hi, Tipperton , I saw a 4 wheel drive pick up with Land and Marine ,yesterday thought the went years ago , Nice to see an old firm again after many years ,Cheers Barry

Used to deliver tarmac to most of those firms over the years. Murphys had yards at Wellington Dock, Liverpool, Bordesley Green, Hollywood and Kings Norton B’ham amongst others in ‘our area’ of the Midlands/North West. P.N Daly at Milnrow was another regular drop. Kennedy’s we ran to as well on various road jobs.

Pete.

i worked for murphys - initially at isham in northants,then out of head office at kentish town-some yard that was ffs-even had its own cafe!!
sorry no pics though tom.
my dad worked for McNicholas for many years,after he gave up being an owner driver.great firm .
we both worked for P Lowery and sons at heston ,another great firm,one of the best jobs i’ve ever had.heres a pic of my son trying out a MAN eight legger grab…

i know someone that used to work for norwestholst-him and his mate got buried when an excavation collapsed on them in about 1993 ish in london.his mate got killed and he survived.supervisor asked them to jump into a hole to do something with no sheetpiles or timber in it and the inevitable happened.think this incident and the courtcase helped finishthe firm off.

I had a mate that was on for Norwest Holst, he was with them for a few years on differant cross country pipe laying projects and mentioned that saftey wasn’t much of a consideration. The money was pretty good but the conditions were rough.

Jeff…