Firm Pays Parking - Etiquette?

Hi Everybody,

After a few weeks with my new firm on days, I’ve now moved-onto tramping, which is what I wanted to do.

I specifically asked at interview whether they paid parking, and they confirmed that they did, and I asked again at the main office when I dropped-in, and again, they confirmed that they did, so no worries about that. They said to pay it myself, retain the receipt, fill-out a weekly expenses sheet, and hand it in with my paperwork at the end of the week, after which I will be compensated. Fairly standard stuff. They didn’t specify that the parking MUST be secure, but they still said they’d pay it.

My question is whether there is some ettiquette to using paid parking, such as only using it when you absolutely need to, and going into lay-bys, etc, as much as possible? Or do you think; If they pay it, use it, and have a decent meal and a shower every night?

I’m a bit dubious as to whether my gaffer will tell me to tone down my parking expenses, after I put in my first weekly claim. There could be some unwritten rules I’m not aware of! :grimacing:

When I used to tramp before, my trailer was robbed once in a lay-by, so I’m not a fan. I carry fresh produce and meat, some of it very expensive and top-end, particularly the meat. I’m pretty sure that even if the seal gets broken, the load may be considered to be contaminated, so it would be within their interest that their truck and trailer be safe.

It’s a big firm, not as big as the red and green one, but still a massive fleet, 1000s of vehicles, so you could say it’s a faceless corporate job. You’re not exactly taking food from your boss’ kid’s mouths when you ask for £22 to park their truck and trailer in a safe place, so that’s my way of thinking.

Any tips?

The firm I work at is quite similar to yours in that they pay parking and then you claim in back with your expense sheet. I see some guys putting receipts in for 5 nights in services per week which can’t be cheap, but are paid with no quibble. Personally I only rarely pay for parking as I know a fair few places with easy access to pubs and grub that don’t require payment.

If I was carrying valuable cargo as opposed to the frozen tat I normally carry I’d pay for secure parking in a heartbeat.

All I can suggest is don’t take the ■■■■, find your feet on the job and speak to the other lads at your place who regularly tramp.

I never stay in lay bys unless I 100% have no option. My TM has told me to find safe places to park of a night so I mainly use Truck stops rather than MSA’s as they tend to be a bit cheaper and a bit cleaner.

Every week I hand in 4 nights worth of receipts , they get paid the week after.

Rottweiler , sorry to be pedantic but you hauled meat and produce with no rear door trailer lock , such as those Bulldog locks on your fridge trailer ?
Did the insurance pay out ?

if you can get a decent nights kip in any msa or truck stop and get reimbursed then go ahead and leave the decent spots to park to the decent drivers :sunglasses:
I’ve not paid for or slept in a lay by in years and I never have a bad nights kip, to es h their own mind. You pay out 60-100 a week on parking and it’ll save space in the good spots for those of us that don’t get diesel nicked, curtains slashed or a bad nights kip thanks to those ■■■■ heads running the engine at all hours :grimacing: