Firm loses O license

eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new … v-licence/

Lost it due to running trucks in Scotland only allowed in England??, isn’t an O license for use in the UK?.

Daytrunker:
Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire & Highlands news | The Press & Journal

Lost it due to running trucks in Scotland only allowed in England??, isn’t an O license for use in the UK?.

I think it’s bad reporting. I think that what they mean is the vehicles were specified on an operating centre in England, so they wouldn’t be working in Aberdeen and returning to base; Aberdeen would be the base.

albion:

Daytrunker:

I think it’s bad reporting. I think that what they mean is the vehicles were specified on an operating centre in England, so they wouldn’t be working in Aberdeen and returning to base; Aberdeen would be the base.

Thank you

Daytrunker:

Badly worded article I would say. Maybe a company from England is parking all their vehicles in a rented yard without an operating centre or maintenance contracts

Shame the authorities can’t clamp down on the EE companies that seem to swamp the industry with their wagons !!!
Probably easier to target a UK address, less paperwork and man hours

albion:

Daytrunker:

This ^^^^^

They have a yard on the outskirts of Aberdeen but have been using trucks not specced on the Scottish O licence, including ones on Southern Irish plates.

Edited to add “Alegedly”

scottie0011:

albion:

Daytrunker:

This ^^^^^

They have a yard on the outskirts of Aberdeen but have been using trucks not specced on the Scottish O licence, including ones on Southern Irish plates.

Edited to add “Alegedly”

From a friend in that area, the local tipper boyo’s didn’t like how they kept losing out on work,so reported the situation to Ms Atkin, the looked into the allegations,which were correct, and took the appropriate actions,if Allens had done the Operation centre correctly,they would have been fine, and allegedly it wasn’t an oversight.

pierrot 14:
Shame the authorities can’t clamp down on the EE companies that seem to swamp the industry with their wagons !!!
Probably easier to target a UK address, less paperwork and man hours

I believe the French has tried within what they can get away under EU regulations, and many other countries now are enforcing local minimum wage for foreign drivers doing cabotage work, Portugal seems to be the latest to enforce that, meanwhile the British authorities don’t seem worried, its almost as if they won’t a low wage, minimum workers rights economy.

Germany is now asking them to carry a letter stating they are on a minimum wage ( the EE ) but what is a letter ■■..just means a bit of work for the typist as the germans aint gonna phone up a company everytime one of em is stopped.

muckles:
its almost as if they won’t a low wage, minimum workers rights economy.

What utter crap. If that was the case then we’d have the EU minimum paid holidays of 20 days a year, not 28 as we do now. They’d also not have increased the minimum wage as fast as they have nor the personal tax allowance.

truckyboy:
Germany is now asking them to carry a letter stating they are on a minimum wage ( the EE ) but what is a letter ■■..just means a bit of work for the typist as the germans aint gonna phone up a company everytime one of em is stopped.

When I was doing Germany I had a document staying I was earning more than German minimum wage. It was valid for 6 months and had names of all drivers in the company who also did the German stuff and we had to carry wageslips as proof.

It never once got checked however as our UK mininum wage was (at the time pre-collapse of the pound) higher than the equivalent German minimum wage I suspect they thought it wouldn’t be worthwhile checking UK registered trucks…

Conor:

muckles:
its almost as if they won’t a low wage, minimum workers rights economy.

What utter crap. If that was the case then we’d have the EU minimum paid holidays of 20 days a year, not 28 as we do now. They’d also not have increased the minimum wage as fast as they have nor the personal tax allowance.

And you think that make those in positions of power and influence champions of workers rights?
Except for the odd HMRC case, the authorities hardly seem to be really clamping down on companies that use self employed workers to get round their obligations of paying minimum wage or holidays, instead it left to the workers or unions to take them to court, claiming they should be employed workers.
Do you know of any cases where the authorities are checking up on foreign haulage companies, to make sure their drivers are on at least the UK minimum wage whilst on cabotage work?

toonsy:

truckyboy:

When I was doing Germany I had a document staying I was earning more than German minimum wage. It was valid for 6 months and had names of all drivers in the company who also did the German stuff and we had to carry wageslips as proof.

It never once got checked however as our UK mininum wage was (at the time pre-collapse of the pound) higher than the equivalent German minimum wage I suspect they thought it wouldn’t be worthwhile checking UK registered trucks…

Yep the German system, involved a bit more than just carrying a letter, I seem to remember when it first started having to fax a document to their tax authorities naming the drivers and giving details of the company, I think the process is slightly better now and can be done online.

toonsy:

truckyboy:

We also get this legal document every 6 months. It’s NOT on company notepaper, but a verified document!

We carried an employment contract in French which listed hourly rate and night out rate , you also had to have an address in France for contact . These were renewed regularly but we were never asked for them when stopped by the authorities.
The French have a minimum hourly rate and a minimum monthly rate which is substantially higher than the minimum in the UK .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk