Fireworks

Help please. What is the maximum amount of explosive that I am permitted to carry without class 1 on my ADR card many thanks

Brian J:
Help please. What is the maximum amount of explosive that I am permitted to carry without class 1 on my ADR card many thanks

Hi Brian,

Sorry mate, but the question isn’t as straightforward as the way you’ve asked it.

In order to answer your question, could you please give the UN number or say what labels are on the boxes?

It’s likely to be either 1.1G, 1.2G, 1.3G, 1.4G or 1.4S but there are different limits for these.

The UN number is likely to be UN 0333 - 0337

This info will also be available from the consignor (sender.)

Another factor is whether we’re speaking of a UK journey or an international journey, so could you also tell us that please?

Normally fireworks are Class 1.4S. As long as this is the case they come under Transport Category 4, which means thay are unlimited in quantity.

Héraultais:
Normally fireworks are Class 1.4S. As long as this is the case they come under Transport Category 4, which means thay are unlimited in quantity.

Hi Héraultais,

That’s a fair point and quite correct.

However, I’ve asked the question about whether the journey is national or international because the UK does not use the same limits as ADR (20, 333, 1,000) when it comes to national carriage of UN Class 1 goods other than 1.4S.

dieseldave:
However, I’ve asked the question about whether the journey is national or international because the UK does not use the same limits as ADR (20, 333, 1,000) when it comes to national carriage of UN Class 1 goods other than 1.4S.

Thanks, that is quite interesting. I have only just done my ADR here in France (non tanks) and find it interesting that despite the ADR regs, there are often differences for certain things between different EU countries.

Héraultais:

dieseldave:

Thanks, that is quite interesting. I have only just done my ADR here in France (non tanks) and find it interesting that despite the ADR regs, there are often differences for certain things between different EU countries.

Hi Héraultais,

The whole idea of ADR is that it standardises the international transport of dangerous goods.
The key word is “international.”

When I get time, I’ve been making something of an idle study of the differences…

There are significant differences when it comes to the national carriage of dangerous goods in the various ADR member countries.

For example, the limits for the carriage of some explosives in UK national transport are more generous than the limits in ADR, whilst some other countries set the limits for explosives quite tightly to 1Kg or 5Kg.

You probably learned that there are 5 ADR Transport Categories, which is quite correct, but for national transport in the UK we have 7. The extra two are for some explosives. :open_mouth:

dieseldave:
You probably learned that there are 5 ADR Transport Categories, which is quite correct, but for national transport in the UK we have 7. The extra two are for some explosives. :open_mouth:

Yep, that’s what I learnt. The mind boggles!

For more info for national regs in France, look up L’arret TMD.

Héraultais:
For more info for national regs in France, look up L’arret TMD.

I’ve had a look at that, thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, I don’t understand French cos my second language is German.
German does allow me to look up national stuff in Germany, Austria and Switzerland though. :smiley:

I am carrying 1.4g and 1.3g I’ve been told I can carry 500kg nec is this correct

Brian J:
I am carrying 1.4g and 1.3g I’ve been told I can carry 500kg nec is this correct

Hi Brian,

Again, I have to say that the question is not as simple as you’re trying to ask it… but 500Kg NEM is incorrect.

You are carrying dangerous goods that are in two different ADR Transport Categories, so you cannot simply add them together and compare them to a limit.

The answer will depend on you saying the NEM of the 1.3G and the 1.4G separately because a calculation needs to be done to see whether you’re subject to ADR or not.

Whatever answer you give, the one thing I can be sure about is that the answer is NOT 500Kgs NEM because any amount of 1.3G carried on board the same vehicle at the same time as 1.4G has put paid to that idea.

If the load was only 1.4G, then the answer would be 500Kg NEM.

Many thanks for your answers all sorted

dieseldave:

Brian J:

Hi Brian,

Again, I have to say that the question is not as simple as you’re trying to ask it… but 500Kg NEM is incorrect.

You are carrying dangerous goods that are in two different ADR Transport Categories, so you cannot simply add them together and compare them to a limit.

The answer will depend on you saying the NEM of the 1.3G and the 1.4G separately because a calculation needs to be done to see whether you’re subject to ADR or not.

Whatever answer you give, the one thing I can be sure about is that the answer is NOT 500Kgs NEM because any amount of 1.3G carried on board the same vehicle at the same time as 1.4G has put paid to that idea.

Dave ,heres an odd one for you .what about the movement of counterfit fireworks ,and what regs do they come under,regards Steve.

shakysteve:
Dave ,heres an odd one for you .what about the movement of counterfit fireworks ,and what regs do they come under,regards Steve.

Hi Steve,

It’s not really an odd one, because counterfeit fireworks have been moved in the UK before. (IIRC, it was in 2007.)

If counterfeit fireworks are to be moved, then the HSE will be involved and the fireworks will (usually) be moved by use of an “authorisation” issued by HM Chief Inspector of Explosives because counterfeit fireworks have not been correctly classified to a division within UN Class 1.

Such fireworks will probably be carried (for destruction) as 1.1G and subject to some quite stringent extra conditions, such as being placed in special packagings and possibly a maximum load limit per vehicle journey. Other requirements of ADR/CDG apply as normally applicable, but a copy of the Authorisation would normally need to be carried on board the vehicle in addition to the normal documentation.

Everything depends on whatever is written in the Authorisation from the HSE.

Héraultais:

dieseldave:

Yep, that’s what I learnt. The mind boggles!

It certainly boggles now mate, cos Brian hasn’t told us what he ended up carrying so we’ve no idea whether ADR applied in full or not. :frowning:

dieseldave:
It certainly boggles now mate, cos Brian hasn’t told us what he ended up carrying so we’ve no idea whether ADR applied in full or not. :frowning:

Yes, would love to know what the final load was. Hopefully Brian will come back again.

To Diesel Dave, just a thought but maybe Brian is carrying the 1.3G and 1.4G for his customer but at different times, therefore he’s got all info. he needs (presuming he’s not carrying together on same vehicle). Of course it would be nice if he could put us straight■■?

Daz1970:

To Diesel Dave, just a thought but maybe Brian is carrying the 1.3G and 1.4G for his customer but at different times, therefore he’s got all info. he needs (presuming he’s not carrying together on same vehicle). Of course it would be nice if he could put us straight■■?

Hi Daz1970,

That’s possibly a very fair point mate.

I took the meaning to be that Brian was to carry 1.3G and 1.4G at the same time on the same vehicle.

I’ll stand corrected and apologise straight away if Brian puts me straight about his meaning. :blush:

However, to address your point…

If 1.3G (only) is carried on a UK national journey, the ‘small load’ limit is 50Kg NEM. (Not the 20Kg stated in ADR.)
If 1.4G (only) is carried on a UK national journey, the ‘small load’ limit is 500Kg NEM. (Not the 333Kg stated in ADR.)

If 1.3G and 1.4G are carried on the same vehicle at the same time, there is a ‘small load’ exemption available for it, but it then depends on the amounts (in Kgs NEM) being known and a calculation being done (by the carrier, not the driver) to see whether the exemption applies.

:bulb: These days, we don’t just add them together and be guided by the strictest of the limits, because that system hasn’t been used since 09/05/2004.