Fireworks

The last couple of weeks I’ve been delivering empty fireworks storage boxes to stores. We’ve been told that we can’t deliver the fireworks so they are delivered direct to stores by suppliers.
We’ve been told that once everybody has finished celebrating Guy Fawkes epic failure we have to collect boxes together with any unsold fireworks and it seems to me that if we can’t deliver them are we able to collect them.
Can anyone give me some advice about whether they come under ADR

fireworks-forum.org.uk/threa … ion.15015/

wing-nut:
The last couple of weeks I’ve been delivering empty fireworks storage boxes to stores. We’ve been told that we can’t deliver the fireworks so they are delivered direct to stores by suppliers.
We’ve been told that once everybody has finished celebrating Guy Fawkes epic failure we have to collect boxes together with any unsold fireworks and it seems to me that if we can’t deliver them are we able to collect them.
Can anyone give me some advice about whether they come under ADR

Hi wing-nut,

I’m afraid it’s not as straightforward as your question would like…

You’ll need to check the labels on the boxes (or ask the sender) to see the Class and division number AND the Compatibility Group.

The average ‘normal’ fireworks have 1.4S on the labels like this:

1.4S.jpg

If the fireworks to be carried have this label and are called UN 0337, then no ADR licence is needed, regardless of the amount carried.

You would need an ADR compliant 2kg fire extinguisher and some documented ADR ‘awareness’ training though.

However, if the UN number isn’t the one I’ve given or the label says 1.1G or 1.2G or 1.3G or 1.4G then vehicle load limits apply to those drivers without an ADR licence.

If you can post up the UN number or whether they’re 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 for the fireworks they want you to carry, then I’ll be able to tell you the relevant limit and how it’s worked out.

:bulb: I’ve no idea why you can collect them, but not deliver them… :confused:

SWEDISH BLUE:
http://www.fireworks-forum.org.uk/threads/adr-question.15015/

Hi SB,

I’ve had a quick look at the info in your link, and let’s just say it’s somewhat dated and some of it is spot-on, but some was not quite right even when it was written.

Thanks for that info dieseldave, at least it’s given me something to go on. Don’t know what labels and UN numbers they have as I haven’t seen them yet, they’re just the basic mixed fireworks packs that go ■■■■ bang and everybody goes wow!! :unamused: :unamused:
I think we’re expected to collect leftovers because the suppliers can’t be arsed to collect small quantities.
Personally I’d prefer to put them in middle of car park and put a match to them :laughing: :laughing:

@ diesel dave.

I’m in the same situation as wingnut.

Would it make a difference if the returned fireworks were in the said, metal, storage cabinets rather than the boxed, stacked on pallets then shrink wrapped method used by the supplier when transporting to store? I followed a supplier into a store one day and the store staff would not let the driver take more than 2 pallets off before breaking down and storing in the cabinets.

Wiretwister:
@ diesel dave.

I’m in the same situation as wingnut.

Would it make a difference if the returned fireworks were in the said, metal, storage cabinets rather than the boxed, stacked on pallets then shrink wrapped method used by the supplier when transporting to store?

Hi Wiretwister,

Anything with 1.4S on the boxes can be carried as I mentioned above.

There are some circumstances in which blast mitigation cabinets can be used for the carriage of explosives (including fireworks,) but there’d be lots of paperwork and permission needed from the HSE, so I doubt whether there’s any mileage in that idea.

Wiretwister:
I followed a supplier into a store one day and the store staff would not let the driver take more than 2 pallets off before breaking down and storing in the cabinets.

That’s not anything that’s in ADR, so my guess is that it’s something to do with storage rules, or company policy.

Poor old Guy Fawkes. A misunderstood comedian in my opinion.

Could do with some body like him now ! But not to fail in the job …