Fire in frejus tunnel to-day saturday 4th june

it has just been posted by ““AFP”” of an accident between two lorrys in the
FRENCH part of the TUNNEL.one of the vehicles was loaded with TYRES
the french firebrigade is on site and reacting to the situation,unfortunatly the heat was so high that is was not possible for the ITALIAN firebrigade to get to thesite, this is all that was posted at this time 2001hrs CET and if any more information becomes available .then it will be posted,

That’s not good news. You can check out the webcams here

firstly latest information is that one of the french firemen has died whilist working on this incident,

coffeholic the site you have posted is one that perhaps we could have put as a sticky for those who travel via these routes. just a thought, and thanks it is a very good site,

and the pictures show all ready a traffic build up,which is going to increase as on MONDAY the are haveing a closure at night i do belive, let us hope that no one else has suffered in this dreadfull accident, I would like to know
though if either of the firebrigade has a unit which is capable of withstanding extrem heat. as in my eyes it would make the job of those who must fight these fires a lot easyier and also save lives we the capability of building such machines did these people have such equipment, yes i know they had a two -headed fire-engine but if this could not get there because of the heat then the lives of the firemen is even more at risk,just a point .

I agree this is not good news hopefully it won’t be as bad as the Blanc fire.

I think they have stopped the feed to the webcams as they are not refreshing and as of now webcam 2 is an hour and half out and webcam 1 is half an hour out.

Linux-user:

I think they have stopped the feed to the webcams as they are not refreshing and as of now webcam 2 is an hour and half out and webcam 1 is half an hour out.

Yes and so they should,just incase any one else get’s killed.They won’t want it broadcasted live via webcam.

kitkat:

Linux-user:

Yes and so they should,just incase any one else get’s killed.They won’t want it broadcasted live via webcam.

Good point, didn’t think of that :blush: :blush:

The webcams aren’t showing the fire, just the queue of trucks and the entrance to the tunnel, less than you would see on a tv news station of an incident.

condolences to the brave fireman who died trying to save others.
thank god there are no more.

Sadly it is reported that two people have died in this incident.

One victim was 23-year-old Slovene, Doliban Vukanovic, who is believed to have been driving one of the lorries.

The second was fellow driver Pavol Blanarovik, 24.

Our thoughts should be with the families and friends of these two young drivers.

The eight-mile tunnel has been closed indefinitely and engineers are worried some sections could collapse.

okay people a few suggestions on a different route over the mountains toITALY::
1:TAKE the Mount–Blanc TUNNEL;
2: DRIVE THROUGH the swiss with T2 papers when your loaded weight is not over 40, & the trailer height is 4.00meters or less,
3. sorry my information about the weight limit here was wrong and out of date as of 1st jan 2005 40tn lorrys are allowed, therefore ´corrected.

4:TAKE the train from FREIBURG (D)----NOVERA(I) WEIGHT LIMIT42TNS
HEIGHT 4:00METERS; trains run very regulary and are good and clean, you willneed your sleeping bag and some thing to eat whilist enroute to your destination, do not forget to take your ““PASSPORT”” with you on the train as the swiss do check and you will have to produce it,
5.TAKE the train fron BASEL (CH)—LUGANO(CH) WEIGHT LIMIT 40TN
HEIGHT3:60METER: BUT IT MAY BE HIGHER ?
6:TRAIN from SINGEN (D)— MILAN(I) 42TN WEIGHT LIMIT TRALER HEIGHT 3:60 PLEASE CHECK THE HEIGHT MAY HAVE BEEN INCREASED;
7:TRAIN FROM WÖRGL(A)-------TRENTO(I) WEIGHT LIMIT 40TN HEIGHT
3:80- ;LONG WAITING TIME HERE FOR TRAIN:
8: TRANSIT ““AUSTRIA”” via KEIFERSFELDEN—BRENNER (I)
THE ROAD TAX;BRENNERCARD AND THE NIGHT DRIVEING BAN
MAKE THIS CHOICE NOT THE BEST ONE
9:: YOU CAN ALSO DRIVE FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD TOWARDS THE
COAST AND THEN WHEN AT THE END OF THE MOUNTAIN RANGE I
YOU CAN CROSS OVER EASYER INTO ITALY;
10: THE LAST TIP IS SEND THE TRAILERS PIGGYBACK WITH THE TRAIN
AND LEAVE SOME ONE IN ITALY UNLOADING THEM FOR A SET PERIOD:

Coffeeholic:
Sadly it is reported that two people have died in this incident.

One victim was 23-year-old Slovene, Doliban Vukanovic, who is believed to have been driving one of the lorries.

The second was fellow driver Pavol Blanarovik, 24.

Our thoughts should be with the families and friends of these two young drivers.

The eight-mile tunnel has been closed indefinitely and engineers are worried some sections could collapse.

Very sad for these 2 young (& relatively inexperienced?) drivers & their friends & family.

I think highly unlikely the tunnel itself could collapse even after the immense heat of a multi tyre fire. Isn’t it cut through solid rock? However, highly likely that the lining (concrete?) could fail.

Why don’t they have fire fighting appliances for use in tunnels similar to those deployed on airports, where foam can be jetted from a considerable distance withouth leaving the vehicle?