Fines for carrying illegal stowaways

Question!
If a non british driver,say a jerry or pole gets stoped in the ferry port at Calais with illegals in the trailer.are they also fined £2000 per stowaway same as UK drivers and if they are then do the authorities make sure they pay up before being allowed to go on there way?
thanks for any replies

Yes they are.

Another question!
If any British driver is stopped in the ferry port at Calais with illegals in the trailer is he fined them? Surely at that point he’s still on French soil and has not yet commited an offence? Sorry if I’m being a dunce and thanks for the replies!

Les Shoes:
Another question!
If any British driver is stopped in the ferry port at Calais with illegals in the trailer is he fined them? Surely at that point he’s still on French soil and has not yet commited an offence? Sorry if I’m being a dunce and thanks for the replies!

The way I understand it (happy to be corrected if wrong), is basically we move our “border” to port of Calais, so immigration checks are conducted prior to boarding instead of arrival.

And visa versa with the French “border” being in Dover.

Pretty sure it’s been legislated so that it’s the equivalent of physically crossing into the UK.

Perhaps all this Calais stuff can be combined as a sticky for now■■?

Les Shoes:
Another question!

Yep because you pass through the border control in Calais, same as you pass through the French control in Dover, or Folkstone if using the train.

If on entering Calais the French authorities find the illegals you will not be fined your details will be taken and after a couple of hours you will be free to go, unless you have a large quantity of cash on you that you cannot explain. Once you have shown your passport at the UK border agency hut then any illegals found after that will incur the £2000 per head fine however this can be reduced in court if you can prove you did your best to prevent them from entering the vehicle.

mazzer:
If on entering Calais the French authorities find the illegals you will not be fined your details will be taken and after a couple of hours you will be free to go, unless you have a large quantity of cash on you that you cannot explain. Once you have shown your passport at the UK border agency hut then any illegals found after that will incur the £2000 per head fine however this can be reduced in court if you can prove you did your best to prevent them from entering the vehicle.

Of course I have to wonder how hard the French authorities search compared to the UK border agency

Les Shoes:

mazzer:

Of course I have to wonder how hard the French authorities search compared to the UK border agency

To be fair to them a dam site harder than the Brits do this morning into the French shed heartbeat monitors on, seals and fridge locks checked. At the UKBA post asked if it was still chaos out there and straight through to the lanes so all this BS on the news that the Brits are checking every lorry is crap, dogs are still doing the walkround in the lanes but that is a bout it