Finding That Good Job

Well been looking for 2 months been offerd 3 in the last 2 weeks and turned them all down ,imm begining to think the job i want isnt out there as imm getting older im getting more fussy about jobs but its looking like i may need to compromise currentley earning good money on days home every night but i miss tramping cant stand having to drive to work and back everyday and miss being up the road so the search continues

So what is the job you want?

What boxes do you need ticking that these ones offered don’t?

A.

It’s always been common knowledge that “C2 Multidrop” is supposed to be the pits when it comes to “The good job”.

I would argue though that it is the Day Shift aspect of that which makes the job both a pain and stressful.
The problem is though, that you don’t really get much in the way of C2 multidrop on the night shift - let alone Artic anything at all!

I wasn’t bothered so much about the multidrop aspect of driving - just the early doors bit of it.
My first job after getting my C1 licence was actually a C2 run on Late Lates into London doing multi-drop around the London main line Railway stations.
I loved that job!
Doing the same job here and there on the early shift though - I hated it… The half-asleep drive up in the morning traffic into the big smoke… Nowhere to get breakfast because I couldn’t park up… Queues of countless other wagons dropping at the same venues… Having to avoid taxis constantly pulling across the front just as I’m trying to maneuver about to back into some tight spot like Paddington Drop Zone…

Compare the same job at night though, when the roads are so much quieter - and the job goes from “bad” to “Brill” in one easy step.

I’m sure that Bread Delivery Guys driving the C2 wagons about at night to corner shops, finishing around 7am - could argue along similar lines. “Dead man’s shoes” work!

There’s only one single daytime artic multidrop duty where I work now. He’s a miserable git at best, and I can’t believe the job has done anything but make him that way. (I do night trunking, and avoid early doors work like the plague!)

Supermarket work of course, could be counted as “multi” as well in that it’s always a fully loaded wagon with cages you take part in tipping, and you might even get some trailer with a tail lift 3 or 4 hitter around the express stores. That was a crappy job to be sure, but even that was made easier when doing the night shift, where you end up delivering to petrol stations instead of shops in residential streets during a busy daytime period!

My suggestion then to someone “Looking for Mr Jobright” is to look at the geezer (or lass!) doing the job NOW who presumably isn’t an agency bod…

If it’s good enough for that old ■■■■ who’s clung onto it for the past umpteen years - then surely it’s good enough for the “average age of a driver 53” bod now beholding such a scenario. :wink: