Finding neutral in a Merc Axor

We are hiring a couple of 13-plate Axor tractor units with gear selectors similar to the Volvo iShift (Powershift?). Had a another driver mention that he couldn’t find neutral, no matter what he did with it.

Just in case I get lumbered with one of these, how do you get them into neutral?

Sorry for the stupid question. :blush:

There is a button on the left side that you press, the other button is for selecting reverse

Another “driver” couldn’t find neutral

Jesus mother Mary and Joseph

mike68:
Another “driver” couldn’t find neutral

Jesus mother Mary and Joseph

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
another " driver" best suited to working for kfc.
its sad they way standards keep dropping .

you should be more worried about the back pain you are going to get after driving one, biggest piece off ■■■■ i have ever driven.

On the ones I’ve driven, you use the right hand button for all gears and pull the lever in the appropriate direction, or press left and right together for neutral.

From memory if you want slow forward / reverse, move and hold the lever in position for a couple of seconds.

Now if they give you a Renault, good luck as they have the most stupid gear selector I’ve ever encountered. Some daft thing on a stalk where you go into “drive” to reverse…wtf!?

trevHCS:
On the ones I’ve driven, you use the right hand button for all gears and pull the lever in the appropriate direction, or press left and right together for neutral.

From memory if you want slow forward / reverse, move and hold the lever in position for a couple of seconds.

Now if they give you a Renault, good luck as they have the most stupid gear selector I’ve ever encountered. Some daft thing on a stalk where you go into “drive” to reverse…wtf!?

Totally agree with you, bud!

I have driven a T Series for my last mob whilst on holiday cover. Couldn’t work out on how to put the cruise control on, and I think that you need at least a masters degree in quantum physics just to work the gearbox!

Also, about a year ago, during my agency gigs, drove an 08-plate Premium eight legger with a 4-over-4 manual (plus splitter) for a steel firm in Hartlepool. Felt like the gears were too closely spaced together, because for example, trying to change from fifth to sixth, I inadvertenly went for fourth instead, resulting in the engine screaming its nuts off! Eventually managed to get the knack of it (just a one day stint with this company). The gear positions were displayed on a plate on the centre console rather than the gearstick.

Got a feeling that I’m going to get mocked by the oldtimers concerning the above statement!

Garbo2018:
I have driven a T Series for my last mob whilst on holiday cover. Couldn’t work out on how to put the cruise control on, and I think that you need at least a masters degree in quantum physics just to work the gearbox!

Also, about a year ago, during my agency gigs, drove an 08-plate Premium eight legger with a 4-over-4 manual (plus splitter) for a steel firm in Hartlepool. Felt like the gears were too closely spaced together, because for example, trying to change from fifth to sixth, I inadvertenly went for fourth instead, resulting in the engine screaming its nuts off! Eventually managed to get the knack of it (just a one day stint with this company). The gear positions were displayed on a plate on the centre console rather than the gearstick.

Got a feeling that I’m going to get mocked by the oldtimers concerning the above statement!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
nothing to mock there bud,theres too much junk being tested as trials for autonomous trucks that the drivers have to deal with as test drive chimps.
your way is the best way…theres your keys and notes,your late,so ■■■■ off and get the job done.
easiest way to learn quickly is to find a gear to get out the yard,then rally it about all day and by that time you will be spot on.
if not?.back to kfc for you.

this guy seems to have got the hang of it?

youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g&t=51s

Garbo2018:

trevHCS:

Totally agree with you, bud!

I won’t mock you Garbo2018, because (as an oldtimer :wink: ) I can well remember when Merc brought out their very first EPS, which was something quite futuristic in its day! (IIRC, the second version was more reliable!)

:bulb: Every gearbox has its foibles, especially if you’ve never encountered a particular type before, so there’s no finer place than right here to have asked your question.

I rember when I 1st got in a Renault about 5 years ago…i couldt get the thing in reverse… thing with autos there all a bit differnt.
Not like a gearstick gears are in same place.

Rember years ago.not sure what make was driving but gear switch was on dash where you expect heater control to be. Had that truck for.years. When I got a different model.of truck out of habit I kept reaching n tieing the heater switch.
Took me weeks to rember where selector was

Finding neutral?, if it wasn’t for the night shunter happening to walk past at that very moment i’d still be there 4 or 5 years later trying to get my first time in a current shape Actros heap bloody started in the dark and then trying to work out where they’d put the gearswitch.

What’s with all this plonking switches all over the place, DAF i’m looking you here but they’re all at it bar MAN which are still refreshingly old fashioned motors and long may that remain the case, in the dark you can’t find the interior lights, can’t find where to put the ignition key or slot the breeze block if you’re unlucky enough to be issued a Merc, can’t find any bloody switches in a Daf whether its light or dark dozens of the sods and they’re all over the shop in any random order what were they thinking, and don’t get me started on the latest height adjusting remotes or the move to electric parking brakes :imp: which on the latest Scanias apply the parking brake automatically should you be bad enough to open the drivers door to see where you are in a really tight space :unamused:

Being a night driver (especially) and have to use multiple makes and models randomly is a bleeding nightmare now, finding neutral on any one of the range of current autos is probably the simplest task.

My old boss bought a covered 4 car merc transporter and was fine driving back from Hull to Southampton but once back to the yard neither boss could find neutral and once our industrial estate had been blocked for 10 mins they got out and shouted for one of us to sort that [zb] gearbox out…[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If you want to know how a particular gearbox or even truck works you’re much better off asking the agency driver who is there that day as they’ll have driven every type of them unlike your typical full time monkey.

Conor:
If you want to know how a particular gearbox or even truck works you’re much better off asking the agency driver who is there that day as they’ll have driven every type of them unlike your typical full time monkey.

An EXPERIENCED agency driver? Yes, probably true.
One who been sent in by an agency on his first job? Maybe not.

I’m not knocking anyone here, but let’s not make too many assumptions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I usually like trucks that a plain and simple to use all I want is a radio and I’m not bothered about anything fancy as long as it’s clean inside,the Axor was right up my street.
I now walk with a limp :laughing:

How to find neutral in an Axor - brake to a crawl and then hit the accelerator, works at most junctions!

Axor!
More like Cacksor

Conor:

I have experienced that working for a company that employs agency drivers the trucks are normally in ■■■■■ after they get in and don’t know what there are doing like someone said here they put it into the first gear they can get the truck moving out the gate then destroy the truck and gearbox it happens all the time
As a regular driver with the same truck you instinctively know this

peirre:
Axor!
More like Cacksor

You what :neutral_face: