Finally some luck for a newbie!

Hey guys

I’ve finally got some luck getting started in my driving career. After passing my C and C+E I’ve been struggling to find anyone to take me on apart from an agency who it didn’t seem to work out with and another firm not impressed with my newbie reversing skills.

Found a firm local to me who are giving me alternate Saturday full size Artic shifts which i can work around my “safe” full time job so my bills will still be paid in the meantime. The money is not fantastic but its more about the experience to me at the moment though a little extra pocket money wont hurt.

Passed their driving assessment yesterday. My drive was great,despite not actually driving any kind of hgv for 6 months let alone a class 1. My real world reversing still needs some work but will come in time. The difference in a TEST bay and a REAL bay is night and day.

I’m going to be paired up with another driver in two weeks time for a shift,I’m actually looking forward to it rather than dreading it as they’re happy to give new drivers a chance and train them up!

Sounds like you`ve got a good chance there. Good luck!

Franglais:
Sounds like you`ve got a good chance there. Good luck!

Cheers pal,yeah its a great chance for some experience,not too far away and no agency nonsense either.

All the best with it. Take your time, take care and enjoy!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
All the best with it. Take your time, take care and enjoy!

Thanks Pete. I trained with you guys and i couldnt recommend you highly enough. Im looking forward to getting some real world experience now finally.

Remember the golden rule “never rush”

All the best

Paul

Aye it all takes time when you go it alone for a while. I’ve done a week with another driver and a week on my own and into my second week tonight. Generally I’m OK but reversing etc proves a little tricky at times but it’s all a learning curve it will get better. It’s almost embarrassing for me as being an ex shunter I should be better than I am but it will come and get better and even then you will still have off days. I’m loving it still and wish o had done my C+E years ago. Good luck with the shifts and experience.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

simcor:
Aye it all takes time when you go it alone for a while. I’ve done a week with another driver and a week on my own and into my second week tonight. Generally I’m OK but reversing etc proves a little tricky at times but it’s all a learning curve it will get better. It’s almost embarrassing for me as being an ex shunter I should be better than I am but it will come and get better and even then you will still have off days. I’m loving it still and wish o had done my C+E years ago. Good luck with the shifts and experience.

That’s made my day Mr Shunter! :grimacing:

Well done GhostRider, best of luck mate! :smiley:

simcor:

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Cheers for the input Sim. I didnt do too bad a job at reversing the monster artic around the yard,the trainer gave me plenty of time to get comfy. Problems came when i had to get the beast into a real life loading bay within an inch either side lol,like you say itll come in time though.

I guess im doing things back to front going straight for c+e work without any c experience first but hopefully itll all work out ok.

One good thing is that on saturdays at this firm it seems like its the skeleton crew so the yards quiet,less people to laugh at me or run over :open_mouth:

elmet training:
Remember the golden rule “never rush”

All the best

Paul

Thats just what i said to the trainer,rushing about really doesnt interest me lol.

I guess im doing things back to front going straight for c+e work without any c experience

I don’t think so. We’ve only had the staged training rules for the last few years. Up till then the majority of folks trained on an artic and went straight to work on them.

You’ve learned to drive CE. So believe in yourself and do it!

It gets better with practice.

Peter Smythe:

I guess im doing things back to front going straight for c+e work without any c experience

I don’t think so. We’ve only had the staged training rules for the last few years. Up till then the majority of folks trained on an artic and went straight to work on them.

You’ve learned to drive CE. So believe in yourself and do it!

It gets better with practice.

Thanks Pete. The guy who assessed me for the firm reported back to the manager (whos emailed me) saying that my driving and knowledge was great,i only need more practise on my reverse,theyre going to be helping me with that too.

Dont think i did too badly then considering i hadnt even driven an artic (or any hgv) since July with my conversion course and even then it was the first time since i passed my test.

Really looking too getting cracking now and seeing what this real world driving larks all about :smiley:

Excellent news Ghostrider, glad things are on the UP and hope all is going well! Well done :smiley:

Good news Ghosty, as well as for other Newbies as it shows there is work out there for you! :smiley: