Finally got an interview

I renewed my class 1 entitlement in July, got my cpc and tacho card and have been looking for hgv work since… haven’t been fussy on what class work I’d get as I know I’m not going to jump straight back into artic driving after 20+ years of not driving hgv. I’ve signed on with numerous agencies and have applied directly to companies for advertised positions but neither have put work my way.

Now I’ve been offered an interview next week… for a Tractor driver! It’s working in a boat yard and mainly shunting boats about on trailers so trailer experience is necessary which I have - not really been one to have issues with reversing artic trailers when I was on class 1 so that’s not a problem. Drove a few tractors over the years as well so hopefully that won’t be an issue but I’m aware of how vastly tractors can vary in their workings. Job involves a bit of manual work which is fine.

Reason I applied for it is my thinking this job is £10/ hour paye, steady 40 hours a week working days and permanent, is off road, don’t need tacho or having to worry about hours etc. and is pretty good money for what it is compared to hoping for a few days work here and there driving via an agency. If there is a negative, it can involve working outdoors a lot but again, not a problem to me, done it before.

It’s a bit crazy when you consider the wage seems to be on a par with various class 1 and 2 jobs I’ve seen about as there is, to me, a big difference in responsibility.

Best of luck with it pal! :smiley:

As for agencies, you need to pester them, you can’t just wait for them to call you…

Evil8Beezle:
Best of luck with it pal! :smiley:

As for agencies, you need to pester them, you can’t just wait for them to call you…

Cheers mate. I do phone the agencies weekly and they also phone me now and again asking about my availability for the coming week. I suppose something could come in time with them, but it’s the waiting game that’s frustrating. I know once I am given a chance, I’ll ‘prove’ my worth quickly but it’s getting that chance in the first place.