Finally all done

So finally completed my cpc today well happy that I can now start looking for jobs in my new career as a hgv driver ( class C).

Been on the phone today to some agencies which they have all said they are pretty quiete at the moment and things should start picking up next month so they said. I’m in South Wales area.

So tomorrow I’m gonna be going out to all the local haulage companies to hand in my c.v

I’m assuming I should be asking for the transport manager and asking to speak to him etc?

Any advice would be appreciated

welshymatt-well done mate!

Approaching companies directly in a smartly dressed and respectful manner cannot do any harm mate. Don’t forget that if you are driving a truck with the company logo/signage all over it and/or a uniform,you are representing that firm so first appearance counts for a lot. Plus you have gone to a touch more effort by trying to hand your cv directly to a TM.

Ive been driving class 2’s for almost a year and have been on a class 1 lesson today-you will love it!!

Take all your work gear etc in your boot in case they say - we need a driver now

If the transport manager isn’t available, find out when he is. Don’t ask if it’s ok to come back to see him. Tell them you are coming back to see him. And be on time.

Don’t expect transport managers to be sat behind a desk waiting for your arrival. You may well have to go back 3 or 4 times before you get close. But persist. They’re probably not being awkward. Just very busy.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replies. Gonna be a busy day tomorrow got a fair few to visit so hopefully something may come of it.

eagerbeaver class 1 is on my next to list booked the course for March

welshymatt

Cant recommend class 1 enough mate! I found it a little strange at first regarding the mirrors(trailer disappearing then reappearing like magic lol). Keep us informed of the jobhunt and best of luck!

Try Thomas Recruitment in Pontypridd… I know Allied Bakeries use them!

Thanks for that james went over to Thomas recruitment today and the guy mentioned hey may be able to get me some work with a bakery
in Cardiif so i assume its the one you metioned.

good luck

So I’ve been to see 8 local haulage company’s etc to hand my c.v in etc so will wait to see if i hear any back off them.

Signed up with 3 agencies so far 2 of which got my two days work which was only driving luton vans which i didn’t really mind as it was money at the end of the day.

I did however get a positive response of a haulage company i e-mailed.
The only negative about the job is the location as it would mean a 1hr each way commute

How long do you guys or what’s the most you would travel to your place of work?

welshymatt:
How long do you guys or what’s the most you would travel to your place of work?

30 min one way as a norm unless tramping

I suppose it depends on how much work is available in S Wales mate. I live in the North West and am lucky to have lots of work about pretty much on my doorstep(takes 15 mins to my depot). The 2 years experience thing seems to make it hard to get a start so if it takes an hour to get to work,you may have to accept that. I personally wouldn’t travel for any more than 1 hour each way.

I agree 1 hr commute would definitely be the max I would want to commute aswell. I’m going to speak to them tomorrow as if it could possible lead to class 1 work and tramping in the near future I would be willing to give it a shot.

So i contacted a locally company on Tuesday, with the response to go see the them so i spent Wednesday with one of they’re drivers in a 7.5 tonne to see if i like the job etc. Got Asked then to come back today which i spent the day driving one of they’re 17.5 tonne rigids to see how i got on with it.

Got back to the yard and had a chat with the manager and got offered the job and start this Monday :slight_smile:
Well over the the moon seeing as i only recently passed.

Superb result mate!!

Best of luck with it-let us know how you get on…

Aww man what i first day :confused:

After a quick induction, i was off on my own to do my drop offs 9 in total all around the same area. When i got in the truck to do my checks etc first thing i noticed is that is was a 4 over 4 switch box which i thought this is gonna be fun.
Struggled with it most of the day it just seem so gutless when i switched it into the high range the amount of times i had to drop back down into 4th and stay there with the slightest gradient was annoying and confusing.
The tail lift remote not working after my first drop wasn’t a help either luckily after my second drop all the other drops had forklifts.

After all my delivery’s it was time for a 45 min break. Quick call to the yard to see if there was any groupage to collect they gave me an address and off i went. An hour waiting and they load me up and then back to the yard, got back then wait 10 mins for unloading. Then i was time to park up in a pitch black yard reversing to park up between the other trucks.
I would of been there for hours luckily for me there was a fellow driver there and he gave me some tips and the job was a good one.

All to do it again tomorrow :slight_smile:

Haha-sounds like a baptism of fire for you!!

I detect an air of optimism in your post though,so keep us informed of your progress.

Best of luck taffy!!!

welshymatt:
Aww man what i first day :confused:

After a quick induction, i was off on my own to do my drop offs 9 in total all around the same area. When i got in the truck to do my checks etc first thing i noticed is that is was a 4 over 4 switch box which i thought this is gonna be fun.
Struggled with it most of the day it just seem so gutless when i switched it into the high range the amount of times i had to drop back down into 4th and stay there with the slightest gradient was annoying and confusing.
The tail lift remote not working after my first drop wasn’t a help either luckily after my second drop all the other drops had forklifts.

After all my delivery’s it was time for a 45 min break. Quick call to the yard to see if there was any groupage to collect they gave me an address and off i went. An hour waiting and they load me up and then back to the yard, got back then wait 10 mins for unloading. Then i was time to park up in a pitch black yard reversing to park up between the other trucks.
I would of been there for hours luckily for me there was a fellow driver there and he gave me some tips and the job was a good one.

All to do it again tomorrow :slight_smile:

Sounds great mate, nice one :slight_smile:

Well done, sounds like you coped with it all alright, each day it’ll get easier, which company did you go with it the end ?

I’ve gone with a company that is fairly local to me John Pearce Transport as they were the ones to get back to me. Currently on a 3 week trial to how things go etc. They are a good bunch of people though all friendly and helpful.

Today was a day of ■■■■■■■■ car drivers parking on double yellows at junctions so i couldn’t get past.
Experienced my first low bridge was 2ft clearence but was still an ar$e clenching moment even though i knew i would fit under it still had me thinking am i going to hit it. Then Looking up at the bridge as i was driving under it thinking sh=t.