FIMO? can i drive in France with UK passed C1E

Hello Can anyone Help?
I 'am trying to pass my truck licences in France have the funding from Pôle emploi but the first course I can get on at AFPA is in April 2017!
can I come back and do my C and C1e in Uk if I pay privetly as can do combined and then work in France?
here in France you have to pass FIMO after you have permis is there an equivelent in UK or will I have to pass that here ?
work - I live in France and want to do international work can i work in uk and do 3weeks on 2 weeks off for example ?
thank you for all your help

Hi. As I understand it youre resident in France? If so youll have trouble getting a UK driving licence, unless you have a valid UK address too. If you are a UK resident then a UK LGV licence is valid in France, and so is the UK “Driver Qualification Card”, which is equivalent to the French FIMO. You may have trouble doing 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off unless you can find someone to do 2 on and 3 off, and an employer happy with that? I`m open to correction on this , of course.

If you did become a UK resident with a UK address, took LGV course etc, and obtained all UK documents I`m sure that if you then decided to go back to France to live your UK licences can be changed for French ones. I am aware of UK drivers who have changed their UK licences for full FR ones after moving to France.

Franglais:
If you did become a UK resident with a UK address, took LGV course etc, and obtained all UK documents I`m sure that if you then decided to go back to France to live your UK licences can be changed for French ones. I am aware of UK drivers who have changed their UK licences for full FR ones after moving to France.

This. If you live in a country(over half the year) you must have there license.

E.g english license changed to a french license etc etc

Concretejim:
If you live in a country(over half the year) you must have there license.

E.g english license changed to a french license etc etc

As long as your UK licence remains valid for the categories you wish to drive, there is no requirement to exchange it. You only need to exchange it when you need to update it for a medical for example.

A UK issued DCPC remains valid as well, and as someone who has done the FIMO, a lot easier to obtain.

I would suggest that is true, only so long as the address shown on the licence is the current address of the holder.

If you have a French licence and move, there is no requirement to update the address on the licence, hence no requirement to have a current address on a licence held.

I’am British have a full uk issued european driving licence , have a uk adress and live in France .I dont need to change licence as its european , thanks for info on UK HGV tho so there is a UK equivelent of FIMO and if i passed that in UK it would be valid here which is as it should be, work wise whats the score UK wise as I keep hearing there is a shortage of drivers ? Ultimately being able to work in UK and live here would be preferable can poss get C category work here but money probably not great . What about agency work in UK?

countryfrog:
tho so there is a UK equivelent of FIMO and if i passed that in UK it would be valid here which is as it should be

Yep, it’s called the Driver CPC, and it’s valid in all European countries

countryfrog:
Ultimately being able to work in UK and live here would be preferable can poss get C category work here but money probably not great . What about agency work in UK?

Why would you want the bother of that? If you’re planning on living in France the sooner you get into the system the better it’ll be for you, with regard to healthcare, pension, etc. While the hourly rate in the UK is almost definitely better than here by the time you factor in travelling, accomodation, hassle and the aforementioned social security benefits the UK work advantage rapidly diminishes. I tried working in the UK whilst living in France for about a decade, just wished I made the move sooner, but then that’s only my experience . . . others may tell you different

Craig

I would agree with what Craig says about getting into the Fr system if possible. And if you have a current valid UK address I wouldnt see any problems in getting a HGV/ LGV licence and CPC. As I understand it once you obtain a full UK licence this can be exchanged for a full Fr one. (I will stand correction on that point tho). Once you have a full Fr permit I would expect a Fr company to view you better as a prospective employee? There is the option of trying to get on for a UK firm that would base you in Fr if you cant get on for a FR company. That would cut out travelling time to/fro work.

I kept my UK Class 1 ,but had FIMO and FCOS , this was in the days before the Uk ever dreamt of a drivers CPC.

thank you to everyone who has replied ,I 'am living in France and have been on system here for 15 years , i cannot go for my french hgv tho until april 2017 so want to come to uk and get licence then ideally work in france on C earn money to do C1e and then do the international routes from france , thanks again
CF

So, with a UK class 1 and full DCPC I can work for a French firm? I understood I had to have French qualification instead of DCPC

triple-tango:
So, with a UK class 1 and full DCPC I can work for a French firm? I understood I had to have French qualification instead of DCPC

You understood wrongly mate, the DCPC is fine in France

Bon courage!

Craig 111:

triple-tango:

You understood wrongly mate, the DCPC is fine in France

Bon courage!

Yep. And if Triple Tango has any joy please keep us informed.

Would really like to see you get employed in France with a UK DCPC, irrespective of what has been said on here you need the FIMO. I tried getting a job with a UK DCPC when I first came here in 2012, and was laughed out the door. No FIMO no driving for a French company FACT! FIMO the name speaks for itself Formation Initiale Minimum OBLIGATOIRE!!! the last word says it all Obligatory!! My 25 years of driving counted for nothing and the DCPC is a joke compared to the FIMO. Like you I managed to get the FIMO financed by Pole Emploi, and took the months training at Saint Lo, remember all in French reading writing and speaking. I now work for a French company near Caen, this would never happen without passing the FIMO. Search pole-emploi for driving jobs if you want, I guarantee every one requires the FIMO. It’s French law.

triple-tango:

No you can’t work for a French company.

Azitwaz:

triple-tango:

centre.developpement-durable … -a658.html

Azitwaz:

triple-tango:

You have got it oh so wrong. I work here in France for a French company, with my “UK” licence and my “UK” DCPC qualification card 'code 95 on the rear, valid throughout Europe) and my “UK” digi card.

Azitwaz:

Azitwaz:

triple-tango:

centre.developpement-durable … -a658.html

You either didn’t read it properly? or you still need so help with your French!
You can use your UK Licences DQC and Tacho card here (well untill artical 50 gets triggered after that who knows?)
I do work for a French company been stopped countless times for tacho checks etc no problems. (That was the beautiful thing of Europe 1 Rule for all)

Bon route :arrow_right: