Filling up

I got rather irate today when I went to fill up at a station on the A36. Before they would activate the pump, they insisted on me leaving my means of payment with them. I can see their point, as drive offs are an increasing problem, and when the station takes one of my fuel cards I don’t have a problem with it, but this particular garage would not accept either of the two cards I use, so I was intending on using my credit card. Now, apart from taking acception to being taken for a criminal without actually doing anything, I am not willing to leave my credit card with anyone, I mean, you don’t even leave your card with the waiter in a resturant, right! So the question is am I alone in not wanting to leave a credit card in the hands of some stranger?

Ive had the same problem tramper,especially with a shell garage on the A55 which I use 3-4 times a week. Theres i suppose,5 working a shift rota there.
I havnt had any problems with four of them,but theres one jobsworth whos on afternoons most of the time,she totally refuses to switch the pump on.The first time this happened I walked in to see what the problem was,she explained that theyve had 3-4 drive offs in wagons plus some drivers dont have the right cards.
I mentioned that was all well,but, as you have been serving me on and off for the last few years you can see that theres no problem with me or the cards i use,and also her collegues allways switch the pump on for me.She asked me to leave the cards behind the counter with her,I said no problem…as long as shes willing to guarentee me,in black and white, that she would be liable if my cards were mis-used in any way,shape or form while in her posession.
She quickly replied that she will switch the pump on this time and this time only.
Since that little altercation ive had no problems with her,but i do know of a few lads shes still pi–ing off by doing exactly the same thing.

u think thats bad.wait till u say I am going to pay with cash,they dont know what to say unless u wave the cash in front of them…they think its a truck they dont pay cash…

CASH!!! WHATS THAT!!!

thats the stuff u get out of cash machines… :smiley: well sometimes…

I don’t like leaving my cards either, which has led to arguments in the past, as I carry a personal credit card, and cash card, plus Business credit card plus fuel cards I’m pretty sure I can pay for my fuel, and try to keep them in my site all the time. The other thing is the look of amazement when you go to pay with your credit card, when they know you have valid fuel cards.
I suppose they should be able to swipe it but let you keep your card like they do in some Restaurants. Credit card fraud related to Fuel stations is Rife I think
Ah here BBC NEWS | Business | Q&A: Preventing card fraud I think this needs printing out as a reason why you don’t want to do it

It is definately one of my pet hates is that. it occasionally happens in Europe but as many pumps are self service now where you swipe your own card and use a PIN.

You dont need to go inside except to show your receipt to get a token for the free coffee machine :stuck_out_tongue:

Another thing is when riding my motorcycle and they expect you to remove your helmet before they will activate the pump, although BP have just relaxed this rule. It only happens once but can be annoying having to undo all the straps, neck warmers and leathers for a tenners worth of fuel.

At a A36 station (probaly the same one), they have still have cards and tickets inside, not sorted, where presumably the drivers have just driven off, even got company names on the cards. :open_mouth: :confused: :question: But, no I wouldn’t leave a credit card either.

I’m prettyy sure that at many fuel stations drive off’s are deducted from the cashiers wages if they they don’t get the reg no. That may explain why they are so careful… given the average cost of a truck full up.

whilst traveling across russia on the tours we had to refuel and you had to pay for the fuel before drawing it so when you tell them you want 500 ltrs they look on you as a multi millionaire and cant do enough for you :laughing: