Fifty Shades of Tarmac

Released on Wednesday 5th. August folks!

Based on my own real life experiences in the early 1970’s, the book tells the story of Arthur Jackson, a naïve young car transporter driver whose dream is to join the British ‘kings of the road’ who ply their trade right across the continent of Europe and down to the Middle East.
He obtains work with the London branch of an Iranian company and for the first time has to learn how to handle a Mack juggernaut with a two stick quadruplex gearbox!
The story covers his first trip with all its’ pitfalls and novel experiences and takes him from Rotterdam Holland, to Bremerhaven Germany, via Moutiers in the French Alps and Salzburg Austria before ending back In Rotterdam where an appointment with destiny awaits him!

It is told with humour, introducing a number of colourful characters and providing a personal and unusual insight into the life of a truck driver in the 70’s at a time when Europe still had frontier posts and customs restrictions. Alongside the text are a number of photographs illustrating the narrative and taken by me mostly in 1972/73.

It will be of interest to truck drivers, Mack fans and other transport enthusiasts and to those who simply want to learn more about the social history of Europe at that time.

You can buy through Amazon/Waterstones and other online bookstores or direct with the publishers at oldpond.com

Good luck with it Andy !
See you soon !
R Jimski

Thanks Jimski. Publication day tomorrow!

Hi Andy,

Best of luck with the book,I shall be waiting for the postman :slight_smile:

Regards
Richard

Hiya good luck with the Book… another one to read…its good her in doors just buys my xmas present
when ever and said here its xmas come early…best ever present…
John

Good luck with the book Jazzandy.
I think you should buy something like this, put a few boxes of books in the trailer and take it round the truck shows. I would do wonders for you sales’ figures.

Break a Leg Andy. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: An excellent book! Highly recommended reading! More! More! Robert :smiley:

Unfortunately there’s been a ■■■■-up on the printing front. The machinery at the (British) printers broke down and copies were not delivered to Old Pond. They are promised for Monday-/Tuesday next week.

Watch this space!

i wondered about that andy , i went on amazon to order a copy but it was unavailable at present . never mind , slowly slowly catches monkey , i’ll get it when it comes in . regards , dave .

Jazzandy:
Unfortunately there’s been a ■■■■-up on the printing front. The machinery at the (British) printers broke down and copies were not delivered to Old Pond. They are promised for Monday-/Tuesday next week.

Watch this space!

The first British lorry load to the Middle East was a printing machine, if I remember correctly. Irony, that is, given the advertised subject of your book.

Fully on sale now folks.

Amazon/ Waterstones etc.

But the best way to obtain a copy is at www.oldpond.com

I’ll be signing copies of Gaydon but if you can’t make it you can buy direct from me at jazzandy@btinternet.com and I’ll sign and dedicate them and mail them to you!

Jazzandy:
I’ll be signing copies of Gaydon but if you can’t make it you can buy direct from me at jazzandy@btinternet.com and I’ll sign and dedicate them and mail them to you!

Hi Andy,

Just finished my copy,excellent read, well done.

Can’t wait for the next one in the series !!

Regards
Richard

Thanks Maggie D! The second one’s ready if this one is a success.

Hi Andy, after reading your posts on here about your exploits I have just ordered a copy from Old Pond and eagerly await it’s arrival through the letter box.
I am sure it will be a great commercial success.
Let’s hope you go on to be a wealthy, truck fiction based, author like so many of your predecessors.(tongue firmly in cheek)
Les.

kickstart:
Hi Andy, after reading your posts on here about your exploits I have just ordered a copy from Old Pond and eagerly await it’s arrival through the letter box.
I am sure it will be a great commercial success.
Let’s hope you go on to be a wealthy, truck fiction based, author like so many of your predecessors.(tongue firmly in cheek)
Les.

Fiction? Surely, the joy of Andy’s writing is that it is supposed to be non-fiction! :wink: Robert

Some of it is fiction Robert.

And don’t forget I’ve got a marriage to protect!

Jazzandy:
Some of it is fiction Robert.

And don’t forget I’ve got a marriage to protect!

Yes, I appreciate that Andy. In any case no one could possibly recall all those tiny details! Actually, I rather stormed through it first time and I’m now re-reading it at a much more leisurely pace and enjoying it even more! :smiley: Robert

When I was travelling in Iran about six years ago, the transport I was in broke down and I had time to kill in an Iranian MSA. I got chatting to the truck drivers and one of them invited me to sit up in the driver’s seat of this Mack (below). He talked me through the twin gear-stick arrangement. Now, reading Andy’s book with its detailed descriptions of similar vehicles it’s all coming alive for me. BTW, the driver (and others concurred) said that they preferred the ancient Macks because they were indestructible; that the European trucks were the most comfortable; and that the Chinese ones were totally unreliable and fell to bits as soon as you looked at them! Robert