Fifty Shades of Tarmac

On Sale from 5th. August on Amazon or at www.oldpond.com

Based on my own real life experiences in the early 1970’s, the book tells the story of Arthur Jackson, a naïve young car transporter driver whose dream is to join the British ‘kings of the road’ who ply their trade right across the continent of Europe and down to the Middle East.
He obtains work with the London branch of an Iranian company and for the first time has to learn how to handle a Mack juggernaut with a two stick quadruplex gearbox!
The story covers his first trip with all its’ pitfalls and novel experiences and takes him from Rotterdam Holland, to Bremerhaven Germany, via Moutiers in the French Alps and Salzburg Austria before ending back In Rotterdam.
It is told with humour, introducing a number of colourful characters and providing a personal and unusual insight into the life of a truck driver in the 70’s at a time when Europe still had frontier posts and customs restrictions.
It will be of interest to truck drivers, Mack fans and other transport enthusiasts and to those who simply want to learn more about the social history of Europe at that time.

Jazzandy, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your stories in the Old Boy section of this site. I’ll certainly be purchasing this :smiley:

I’ve just sent an e-mail to Lapland for this to be delivered by 25th December.

I’ll deffo be having one! Robert :smiley:

:exclamation: An excellent read, chaps! I can warmly recommend it. Robert :smiley:

I’ll be signing copies at Gaydon but, if you can’t make it there, buy from me direct at jazzandy@btinternet.com and I’ll sign them and dedicate them and mail them off to you!

A two stick quadruplex gearbox?! Blimey, Twin whaaaat? :wink:

Six forward and one reverse on the main and four on the splitter!

Hope to see you at Gaydon this weekend!

I’ve got a few signed copies left. If you would like one, (makes a great Christmas present by the way), they are £15.95 including. P&P.
Contact me on jazzandy@btinternet.com!

Possibly a bit late, but have you still got any left? Thinking of getting my dad one for his birthday, would doubtless bring back some happy memories for him :slight_smile: