Fifth wheels

Most fifth wheels on units lay at an angle so that they go under the trailer without a problem.
I’ve noticed some recently that seem to sit horizontal no matter what. Is this down to different makes, spec or something wrong?

Nothing changed with their design it’s just many drivers now drop the air when pulling out from under a trailer.
Personally I believe they’re are and designed so you don’t need to muck about with the air when coupling and un-coupling.

m1cks:
Nothing changed with their design it’s just many drivers now drop the air when pulling out from under a trailer.
Personally I believe they’re are and designed so you don’t need to muck about with the air when coupling and un-coupling.

That’s fine if you’ve got runners but some units don’t have runners or very short ones due to the type of trailers is some DD trust will snag and rip the runners off

It’s all down to the driver. If you lower suspension when dropping trailer it’ll be horizontal, if you don’t lower suspension, front of trailer will tilt 5th wheel as you pull out.
I’ve always thought it best to lower suspension first as it keeps the grease where it’s supposed to be instead of smearing it over front of trailer. Also lead-on ramps these days are not really built for the purpose like they used to be.

wing-nut:
I’ve always thought it best to lower suspension first as it keeps the grease where it’s supposed to be instead of smearing it over front of trailer. Also lead-on ramps these days are not really built for the purpose like they used to be.

Not only that but if you go under low and lift the front end up enough so it lifts the legs off the floor when picking up and when dropping off lower the suspension so the legs are taking the weight then you don’t bend them.

wing-nut:
It’s all down to the driver. If you lower suspension when dropping trailer it’ll be horizontal, if you don’t lower suspension, front of trailer will tilt 5th wheel as you pull out.

I also lower the suspension when pulling out otherwise the Unit gets “spat out” from underneath the trailer thus possibly risking damage to early risers or spray suppression when the unit’s suspension suddenly rises up when you’re free from the weight of the trailer.

Drivers that don’t use air suspension are lazy. If you were paying for the damage, or losing skin replacing v stay bars or bushes, you might think twice about taking the 5 seconds required to dump the air before pulling out. We have run up ramps and tilting fifth wheels still to compensate for a bunch of lazy drivers that won’t move with the times and still treat equipment like we’re on steel. A lot of the drivers that don’t use air can be seen dropping trailers with legs 2 inches off the ground still

OVLOV JAY:
A lot of the drivers that don’t use air can be seen dropping trailers with legs 2 inches off the ground still

A tug fifth wheel let go at work the other week when pulling away with a trailer with 27 tonnes of chipboard on it and dropped it with the legs about that above the floor. The legs just folded up under the trailer and it ended up sat on its nose.

To be fair, the legs would have done that regardless of height. It’s just a lack of common sense not to wind them right down

nick2008:

m1cks:

That’s fine if you’ve got runners but some units don’t have runners or very short ones due to the type of trailers is some DD trust will snag and rip the runners off

Jesus H Christ!

Don’t you lot realise you are risking Carryfast coming on here telling you, you are doing it all wrong…missed pin events…that’s what ramps and pressure washers are for… Yah-dee-yah-dah…Zzzzzzzzzzzzz…

We run at full weight so dropping a loaded trailer has to be done with the suspension lowered other you risk damaging legs.

F-reds:

nick2008:

m1cks:

Jesus H Christ!

Don’t you lot realise you are risking Carryfast coming on here telling you, you are doing it all wrong…missed pin events…that’s what ramps and pressure washers are for… Yah-dee-yah-dah…Zzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Well if you do it by the manufacturers instructions you dump the rear suspension of the trailer too

Nothing worse than seeing the lip of a trailer caked in fifth wheel grease :imp: Gets on your lines, drops on your catwalk!!

merc0447:
Nothing worse than seeing the lip of a trailer caked in fifth wheel grease :imp: Gets on your lines, drops on your catwalk!!

Gets on your boots your trousers then the car then the settee then ■■■■■■ the wife off too because she has to clean it all up yeah it’s like a disease it spreads :smiley:

How long does a fifth wheel last anyway. Do they service them or just swap them out for new…
I recon our place had changed the fifth wheel on some units from one that is set to tilt, to one that doesn’t.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

All 5th wheels should tilt otherwise when the tractor unit drives up a slope before the trailer it would snap off. Some 5th wheels trunnian bushes are stiffer than others, some flop downwards as soon as you come out of a trailer, other sit at the same angle as the trailer rubbing plate when dropped.
5th wheels should be checked and adjusted at 6 monthly intervals but not a lot of people bother, even main dealers don’t bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OVLOV JAY:
To be fair, the legs would have done that regardless of height. It’s just a lack of common sense not to wind them right down

I was always told to leave them just off the ground then when you dump the air it sits gently on them rather than having them against them ground when pulling away from the pin.

A.

threewheels:
How long does a fifth wheel last anyway. Do they service them or just swap them out for new…
I recon our place had changed the fifth wheel on some units from one that is set to tilt, to one that doesn’t.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

The plate itself would rarely be changed when the jaws wear though there’s a kit to replace them. Bushes can be changed also although I suspect a lot of people avoid it unless they absolutely have to as can be a tricky job without the right kit.