Fifth Wheel Heights?

What are the standard fifth wheel heights?

Is it 1250mm for most UK Units
1150mm for Most European stuff and
950mm for Low ride units?

Scania 1250 with the lift axle down and 1290 with the lift axle up

My MAN is 1280mm

there isn’t really a standard height, especially if you are relying on that to get you under a low bridge.

There is a bloke called Stanley on here who knows…

It is the only way and anyone who drives a tall bodied trailer should have one in their bag

So many variables, even with vehicles of the same make, the only way you can be sure is -

Two blokes called Stanley.

Took me longer to get the picture than Malc. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 minutes :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
2 minutes :open_mouth:

I got sidetracked.

I have a very short attention sp… oh look, a butterfly! :wink:

This isn’t so much for getting under bridges, but buying a second hand unit that will fit our trailer.

At present we have a unit with a fifth wheel height of 1250mm or there about, but the trailer sits at slightly high at the front it’s just over 4.1m, the trailer was build by Chereau, so was it built to run on a lower fifth wheel than is found on most UK spec trucks?
We also had the same problem at Isport the Trailer was built in Germany and always run high at the front on our unit with a 1250mm fifth wheel height.

Now I’ve found a unit for sale that has a fifth wheel height of 1150mm, so is this because it’s set to run European spec trailers at 4m?

and I assume when you get a height of 950mm it’s a low ride unit?

muckles:
This isn’t so much for getting under bridges, but buying a second hand unit that will fit our trailer.

At present we have a unit with a fifth wheel height of 1250mm or there about, but the trailer sits at slightly high at the front it’s just over 4.1m, the trailer was build by Chereau, so was it built to run on a lower fifth wheel than is found on most UK spec trucks?
We also had the same problem at Isport the Trailer was built in Germany and always run high at the front on our unit with a 1250mm fifth wheel height.

Now I’ve found a unit for sale that has a fifth wheel height of 1150mm, so is this because it’s set to run European spec trailers at 4m?

and I assume when you get a height of 950mm it’s a low ride unit?

Yes 950mm or there abouts for low-ride. There are however lots of low-profile 5th wheels which can be fitted to ‘standard’ UK units. There seems to be the fashion for sliding 5th wheels over here which I’ve never understood - as most drivers don’t know how to adjust them - and very little real need for them for most. Replacing a slider with a fixed 5th wheel will help with the height.

This is Fontaine and Volvos way of getting the height down, it’s American but would work here.

The frame fits between the chassis and replaces the cross member, certainly looks like a tidy set up, but take notice of any Dutch or Belgian tractor units you see, and you will find they manage quite well without the sliders, the great steel mounting plate or run up ramps.

It seems there is a massive difference between Europe and the UK with the height of the chassis rails too, especially on a skeletal, when it is empty, strength is not an issue, when it is loaded, the strength is in the container.

We are running double decker trailers at over 16’ high, the Dutch are running them 3 feet lower to keep them under 4.0 metres.

Wheel Nut:

It seems there is a massive difference between Europe and the UK with the height of the chassis rails too, especially on a skeletal, when it is empty, strength is not an issue, when it is loaded, the strength is in the container.

We are running double decker trailers at over 16’ high, the Dutch are running them 3 feet lower to keep them under 4.0 metres.

I think it’s a case of Necessity is the mother of invention. trying to get the max volume out of a 4m overall height.
I’ve always thought that those 2 win trailers would be a great start for a race transporter. even comes with a decent tail lift.

you should see the bloody deckers that Gist have. Talk about over complicated. You even gotta know how to jack a wheel off the ground for the tyre fitter should you get a puncture. What’s wrong with sticking with baby wheels

Steve-o:
you should see the bloody deckers that Gist have. Talk about over complicated. You even gotta know how to jack a wheel off the ground for the tyre fitter should you get a puncture. What’s wrong with sticking with baby wheels

Emons do not have conventional axles, they use a similar design to an Innenlader float glass trailer

Wheel Nut:

Steve-o:

Emons do not have conventional axles, they use a similar design to an Innenlader float glass trailer

Similar?? it looks exactly the same. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Steve-o:

I suppose small wheels would mean a conventional axle, this would mean you either have a higher floor or it wouldn’t be a flat floor, meanig not being able to wheel trolleys or pallets through. The Emons trucks and I suppose the Gist truck have independant suspension meaning you get a flat floor.

Personally i think we (britain), should be trying to get the down down abit, maybe not to 4m but some outfits are way to high.

Anybody know where I can get one of those low skelis like the red one above?

Cheers

Try turbos hoet in Belgium. They are used to dealing with British customers.