Fianl Straw?

If I’m tramping (which I am) I want a decent and clean motor to live in.
I have an Actros, would not be my first choice by any means, but I’ve driven some right heaps of crap in my time, so it aint too bad I suppose.

The trouble these days is we are all spoiled and expect higher standards than we once did (nowt wrong with either of them btw)

Would I change a job specifically for a better truck…
No, I’m past all that stage,.I’ve driven all the fancy specced up trucks that I want to, nice to have a one, but it would not be a deal breaker on a job, where as money, that definitely would be.

If I was on days/nights, I would not give a toss what kind of truck it was as long as it was clean and tidy inside.

When weighing a job up I do take into account the trucks that the company runs to a point, if its clean, tidy, everything works then im happy enough.

Put it this way, I gave up a 2014 Volvo FH500 touring scrapyards and landfill sites for a 2014 MAN TGS 400 that has taken me to a lot more interesting places in UK+Euro. Next month my to do list includes Silverstone, Hockenheim and Hungaroring. That will be more fun then a trip to Scunthorpe steel works.

mrginge:
When weighing a job up I do take into account the trucks that the company runs to a point, if its clean, tidy, everything works then im happy enough.

Put it this way, I gave up a 2014 Volvo FH500 touring scrapyards and landfill sites for a 2014 MAN TGS 400 that has taken me to a lot more interesting places in UK+Euro. Next month my to do list includes Silverstone, Hockenheim and Hungaroring. That will be more fun then a trip to Scunthorpe steel works.

Dragging my balls through broken glass is more exciting than going to Scunthorpe [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

mrginge:

Dragging my balls through broken glass is more exciting than going to Scunthorpe [emoji23]

and more enjoyable none the less.

stuwozere1:

mrginge:

You should try Hartlepool then.

drew30:

stuwozere1:

mrginge:

You should try Hartlepool then.

The residents will do the dragging for you [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When looking for work a while ago I was offered a couple of jobs that got rejected out of hand when I discovered that they ran Isuzu 7.5s.
I actually ended an interview and apologised and left as soon as they mentioned Isuzu. As I left I heard one of the interview panel say to another “thats another one that we’ve lost because of those ■■■■ heaps !”

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

im in the middle of actively leaving a job because of the vehilcle i have to drive. well, at least thats part of it.

the other reasons are
constant unpaid overtime
constant stress trying to get to jobs on time on a route that was drawn on a map by a epileptic monkey
wage deductions for the slightest mistake
low pay for the industry

i could go on but that will do

ive been here 5 years and thats enough for me. im getting out of the industry, going to work for the AA If i pass 2nd stage of interviews of course. ill be on about 2k a year more money (at basic rate) and with overtime etc i am looking at 50%more in my pocket. and considering im in a skilled occupation at the moment that should tell you how ■■■■ my pay is.

grumpyken52:
When looking for work a while ago I was offered a couple of jobs that got rejected out of hand when I discovered that they ran Isuzu 7.5s.
I actually ended an interview and apologised and left as soon as they mentioned Isuzu. As I left I heard one of the interview panel say to another “thats another one that we’ve lost because of those [zb] heaps !”

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Pansy. :imp:

switchlogic:

slowlane:
Changed seat and mirrors.

MY GOD! THE AUDACITY OF THESE PEOPLE! Changing the mirrors?!? Madness… :laughing:

:laughing:

Vid:
How many would chuck their job in if they hated their vehicle?

I’m quite happy with mine, but currently the firm is losing a few drivers and it wouldn’t surprise me if the decision of one that’s just left is the piece of crap he’s been driving.

For whatever reason when replacing a couple of ageing (06) Volvos, the powers that be decided on 67 plate DAF CFs of a lower spec to a number of 17 plate DAFs. After a few months the one driver has quit and the other has just switched to a 63 plate Axor.

I had the misfortune of half a day with one of the 67 plates and in all honesty I would be looking to find a way to avoid driving the piece of [zb] every day, whether it be moving on or accidentally on purpose writing it off, they really are not fit for purpose.

Genuinely curious , whats wrong with the 67 plates dafs?

albion:

Alfa1M:

blue estate:

Alfa1M:
My 26t low cab Van is a dog, decent enough to drive but barely enough space for my lunch box.

However the pays superb by north west class 2 standards , we’ve had drivers from over the road earning 8.25 including Saturday and Sundays , driving very nice brand spanking artic Scanias who have refused the job at our place when they are told they will start off in one of our poxy 18 tonners , and go back to earning their pittance.
Hi
Madness, maybe if your truly one of them drivers who “doesn’t need the wages just hear for the ride” I can understand but immagine not putting yourself in a position where you can afford a couple of cracking holidays a year because you refuse to work in a particular vehicle

Did I read this post right ? £8.25 for the privaliage of driving a blinged up motor [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Our rigid drivers are on £8.86 and Saturday is time &half sunday double bubble

100%, Saturday Sunday bank hol. Phone calls after 47 minutes stationary.

Big green wagons running out of Carrington, Manchester.

Edit sorry, just confirmed with out driver that worked for them. It’s £8.75. That’s ok then !

5 miles up the road driving a plain white Renault Master pays 9.25 an hour…

Reno master :unamused: £10 p/hr here to drive a immaculate 06 reg 5 pot sprinter with 1.3 million ks on and double time on the sabeth ,how about that for willy waving :laughing:

Trickydick:

Vid:

I’m quite happy with mine, but currently the firm is losing a few drivers and it wouldn’t surprise me if the decision of one that’s just left is the piece of crap he’s been driving.

For whatever reason when replacing a couple of ageing (06) Volvos, the powers that be decided on 67 plate DAF CFs of a lower spec to a number of 17 plate DAFs. After a few months the one driver has quit and the other has just switched to a 63 plate Axor.

I had the misfortune of half a day with one of the 67 plates and in all honesty I would be looking to find a way to avoid driving the piece of [zb] every day, whether it be moving on or accidentally on purpose writing it off, they really are not fit for purpose.

Well I’ll jump in as I’ve been driving a 67 platr DAF CF today… And it’s pretty shocking. It has no acceleration at all. It struggles to maintain it’s speed if it even looks at a hill. The interiour is okay but pretty basic. But the worst part is the gearbox… It’s just attrocious. It left me stranded a few times - and I only felt really comfortable using the crawler reverse gear as it’s like an on and off switch of jerkiness. It’s a 6 speed auto and is total garbage.

albion:

Alfa1M:

blue estate:

Alfa1M:
My 26t low cab Van is a dog, decent enough to drive but barely enough space for my lunch box.

However the pays superb by north west class 2 standards , we’ve had drivers from over the road earning 8.25 including Saturday and Sundays , driving very nice brand spanking artic Scanias who have refused the job at our place when they are told they will start off in one of our poxy 18 tonners , and go back to earning their pittance.
Hi
Madness, maybe if your truly one of them drivers who “doesn’t need the wages just hear for the ride” I can understand but immagine not putting yourself in a position where you can afford a couple of cracking holidays a year because you refuse to work in a particular vehicle

Did I read this post right ? £8.25 for the privaliage of driving a blinged up motor [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Our rigid drivers are on £8.86 and Saturday is time &half sunday double bubble

100%, Saturday Sunday bank hol. Phone calls after 47 minutes stationary.

Big green wagons running out of Carrington, Manchester.

Edit sorry, just confirmed with out driver that worked for them. It’s £8.75. That’s ok then !

But can it accomadate frilly Turkish curtains, an LED Renault logo on the back wall and a few extra spotlights for good measure ?

Gave up an 18 plate t460 to drive a 1999 scania 420 manual … last week. Absolutely great decision. Same hourly rate but more like 50 hours now instead of 60 and 5/6am starts instead of regular 2/3am

And it’s the first manual tractor unit I’ve ever driven as only passed in October 17. I prefer it to the autos. Doing a lot of pallet work around Birmingham. Really involving and you seriously have to be switched on with only 420hp at 44ton, splitting gears a lot not just up and down ranges, where as when empty you can just drive it as a 4 speed

Alfa1M:

albion:

But can it accomadate frilly Turkish curtains, an LED Renault logo on the back wall and a few extra spotlights for good measure ?

Don`t ask Albion about “frilly Turkish” stuff! Loads of rumours already abound about Albion and suchlike.
And all the rumours were started by her!!

sammym:

Trickydick:

Vid:

Well I’ll jump in as I’ve been driving a 67 platr DAF CF today… And it’s pretty shocking. It has no acceleration at all. It struggles to maintain it’s speed if it even looks at a hill. The interiour is okay but pretty basic. But the worst part is the gearbox… It’s just attrocious. It left me stranded a few times - and I only felt really comfortable using the crawler reverse gear as it’s like an on and off switch of jerkiness. It’s a 6 speed auto and is total garbage.

Im assuming thats an 18 ton rigid with the litttle ■■■■■■■ lump?

Franglais:

Alfa1M:

albion:

Don`t ask Albion about “frilly Turkish” stuff! Loads of rumours already abound about Albion and suchlike.

Egyptian m’dear, Egyptian :wink:

albion:

Franglais:

Alfa1M:

albion:

Egyptian m’dear, Egyptian :wink:

Apologies. :blush:
I confess to a distinct lack of expertise.

But am more than willing to be educated.
:smiley: