Fh480 boost gauge

Hi all,

I’ve just started driving a 57 plate fh480 and I thought it might feel a bit more powerful, it’s been chipped as well. How far should the boost gauge go? As this one only goes halfway into the yellow.

stevieboy308:
Hi all,

I’ve just started driving a 57 plate fh480 and I thought it might feel a bit more powerful, it’s been chipped as well. How far should the boost gauge go? As this one only goes halfway into the yellow.

Engine management light appears to be lite up in the picture, which would explain lack of power!

edwardj:

stevieboy308:
Hi all,

Engine management light appears to be lite up in the picture, which would explain lack of power!

We got told by the previous owner that’s been on since it was remapped.

Good spot though!!

not gd idea to take previous owner word on a engine fault light being on you prob not take his word if u buying car of anyone that said that being chipped does not boost turbo power m8 it can be adjusted by professional but many companies don’t like it .your gauge looks about right to be honest but when u by Volvo dealer just walk in ask at service desk they will tell ya gd luck :smiley:

Boost gauge should go full way up, it’s could be just the sensor which is causing it not to boost the whole way (common fault) if not it be something more serious

sorry man but that boost needle will not go all way to top but post back when Volvo tell ya so we all know :smiley:

Remap on both a truck or a car wont put the engine management light on (well it does if something has be broke in the process!!) what that tells you is a sensor somewere has either gone wobble or picked up a fault , this code and will have put the light on and the ecu into standard running mode (depending on what fault it is) to reduce risk of damage which usually mean less power and more fuel being used

thats about right if your empty but it should go all the way to the top if your heavy

ok man most turbo gauges when marked with numbers go upto 40 when truck is running right and u pulling full pressure u will get upto 30 and u doing well also if u got engine check on and u think turbo underpowered check intercooler pipes and rad and listen for any whining also could be slightly twisted blades . end of day m8 with that light u could be causing more damage to engine every mile u do but gd luck tell your soon as so pressure of his decision then to put u in to nearest Volvo dealer :smiley:

Might seem a bit trivial but have you done a gauge test? When stopped go to Diagnostics > Cluster Selftest > Gauge test.

If it only goes as far as is displayed in the picture then it could be a fault with the needle and nothing more.

We’ve found an error code and it’s off in for a new sensor in the morning.

It came from a known trusted source and he said when the chip / remap is activated the engine light comes on, when it’s off, it goes off. I’ve had cars remapped in the past with no issues.

Thanks for the replies people, I’ll let ya know how it goes tomorrow!!

ha glad u got sorted m8 look fwd to the verdict :smiley:

stevieboy308:

It came from a known trusted source and he said when the chip / remap is activated the engine light comes on, when it’s off, it goes off.

I’d be careful if I were you… There’s no such thing as an engine map activating/deactivating as its a complete re-write of the engine ECU. If it was a piggyback ECU (works in tandem with the existing one) then yes, there is the option to enable/disable, but that is a manual process, and still (if done properly) wouldn’t illuminate the engine management light. If the engine management light came on once it had been remapped, chances are its a dodgy map thats trying to push things just a bit too far. And even if the above was correct and the light did turn on/off, how would you ever know if you had a genuine engine fault?

K5Project:
Boost gauge should go full way up

+1, mine goes all the way up on a daily basis.

semtex65:

stevieboy308:

It came from a known trusted source and he said when the chip / remap is activated the engine light comes on, when it’s off, it goes off.

I’d be careful if I were you… There’s no such thing as an engine map activating/deactivating as its a complete re-write of the engine ECU. If it was a piggyback ECU (works in tandem with the existing one) then yes, there is the option to enable/disable, but that is a manual process, and still (if done properly) wouldn’t illuminate the engine management light. If the engine management light came on once it had been remapped, chances are its a dodgy map thats trying to push things just a bit too far. And even if the above was correct and the light did turn on/off, how would you ever know if you had a genuine engine fault?

i know on the newage imprezas it was possible to get 2 maps on the standard ecu, switchable by the rear heated screen switch!

i don’t know how to switch the map on the fh yet, but have been told it can be done, time will tell!!

you may be right about it being a dodgy map. the 1st thing i said was how will you tell if there’s a fault? :smiley:

DJC:
Might seem a bit trivial but have you done a gauge test? When stopped go to Diagnostics > Cluster Selftest > Gauge test.

If it only goes as far as is displayed in the picture then it could be a fault with the needle and nothing more.

good bit of info, cheers fella

it’s been in today, new boost sensor, blowing exhaust manifold gasket changed, fuel pick up checked, air filter checked, wastegate checked. the error code cleared and the engine check light went out, but it felt no different, the boost gauge was the same and a bit later the engine check light came on along with the same low boost value error code.

i did the gauge test as suggested and it went all the way round.

i was doing the same run as a fh460 and at a given point on a hill we were both around the 30mph mark, so maybe i’m expecting too much? i’ve not driven a truck for three and a half years so the memory is a bit hazy! but i’d say the speed on the hill seemed about right, it’s just it doesn’t seem to be trying sometimes with the boost needle in between the green and yellow when it should be working hard.

manual / auto / cruise control, throttle position, revs etc, i’ve tried alsorts of combinations