FH16 Wind Noise

Hi All,
I have a Fh16 V4 which has excessive wind noise, do you replace the door seals or do you adjust the doors?
Cheers,
Nick

If you’ve got spotlights or a beacon bar, it’s caused by those upsetting the airflow across the roof. Common fault. Also check sunroof fully closed.

Are the windows fully up? I know some drivers of the FHs at our neighbouring company have had problems with theirs. The windows don’t go all the way up on the switch when closing them and stop a few mm short, causing a nasty wind noise through the tiny gap. They have to lower them a few times and then raise them again for them to fully close. Apparently Volvo have said it’s a feature and works as intended!

Hi Guys,
It does have beacon lights on the roof, i feel like the door don’'t close fully at the top but there is no adjustment in the door.
The door frame pushes up hard on the seals at the front of the door but not at the top.
The windows are all the way up and the sun roof is shut.
The noise drives me insane, its actually quieter when the windows are down 1cm

Stick some cheap draught excluder on the door frame.
If it alters the noise level that’ll tell you what to fix.
If no difference to noise, look elsewhere.

Check the door isn’t bent.

Had a similar issue on an old RangeT. Door was bent just above the top hinge as it had been swung open in the wind a few times.

If you cannot fix it, stick IVECO badges on it …then it will feel normal :slight_smile:

The doors can be adjusted, it is possible that the door has been pushed against the check strap to far, you have to adjust the hinges.

bowers340:
Hi Guys,
It does have beacon lights on the roof, i feel like the door don’'t close fully at the top but there is no adjustment in the door.
The door frame pushes up hard on the seals at the front of the door but not at the top.

Common problem on these even when new and easily fixed
heres how,
1 open the window
2 open the door
3 jam your steel toecap boot or a pice of 3x3 in the top hinge
4 pull the top of the door towards the cab gently as it bends quite easily and its not so easy to bend it back out :blush:
5 remove your boot and close the door
6 check the gap between the door and the rubber seal, you should be able to push a bic pen between them quite easily, if not give it another pull

Its also a good idea to lower the window and run a pencil up and down the rubber where the glass slides on it or use graphite power it you got some

205:

Its also a good idea to lower the window and run a pencil up and down the rubber where the glass slides on it or use graphite power it you got some

Isn’t graphite an abrasive? Not sure if that would mess with the glass surface making it a dirt magnet but instinctively feels wrong.

As to the wind noise turn the radio up, get some ear buds, slow down till the wind noise is bearable. :laughing: :bulb:

205:

bowers340:
Hi Guys,

heres how,
1 open the window
2 open the door
4 pull the top of the door towards the cab gently as it bends quite easily and its not so easy to bend it back out :blush:
6 check the gap between the door and the rubber seal, you should be able to push a bic pen between them quite easily, if not give it another pull

Why not do the job correctly and adjust the Hinges, I bet you wouldn’t adjust your own car door like you suggested,

biggriffin:

205:

bowers340:
Hi Guys,

heres how,
1 open the window
2 open the door

Why not do the job correctly and adjust the Hinges, I bet you wouldn’t adjust your own car door like you suggested,

Thing is, the doors fit perfect from the glass down and its only the frame round the top of the glass that needs ajusting and thats hows its done
they are rather flimsy doors compared to any other truck on the road today and only slightly better than the doors on an EC10 which were fiberglass and usually cracked at the bottom of the glass.
If i had a car that needed doors ajusting like that, i would’nt think twice about doing it, i have done it many times on my own and other pepoles cars, usually after first bending the door out to retreive keys that have been locked inside them or on stolen/recovered vehicles

and no, graphite powder in not abrasive :unamused:

205:

biggriffin:

205:

bowers340:
Hi Guys,

heres how,
1 open the window
2 open the door

Thing is, the doors fit perfect from the glass down and its only the frame round the top of the glass that needs ajusting and thats hows its done
they are rather flimsy doors compared to any other truck on the road today and only slightly better than the doors on an EC10 which were fiberglass and usually cracked at the bottom of the glass.
If i had a car that needed doors ajusting like that, i would’nt think twice about doing it, i have done it many times on my own and other pepoles cars, usually after first bending the door out to retreive keys that have been locked inside them or on stolen/recovered vehicles

and no, graphite powder in not abrasive :unamused:

For the sound of repeating my self, the door and frame are not bent, it has moved on the hinges, you will need a spanner, it’s a matter of working out which way to move the door, it takes 2 people and patience, we have 20 V4 and most have suffered the problem you describe.

Well if all else fails you could always try driving a bit slower! :laughing:

ended up finding time to adjust the doors and it has made no difference so it must be the flashing beacons i put on the roof.

If you have a top bar on roof you can get a brush off kelsa takes 5mins to fit it job done

If you look at the drivers side window of a V4 on the front outside edge about 3/4 of the way up youll notice a “wobble” in the black surround material . This apparently is to allow an exchange of air into and out of the cab and will cause some noise . As others have siad - if you can reach up to the top of the drivers door above the door on the inside and can push a finger up into the gap your door has been bent . Most usual way this happens is it being caught and blown open in the wind - simple way of checking is to check for a kink in the door at the bottom hinge . I’ve seen them being fixed both ways - bend the door or adjust the hinge , both ways work it all depends on the time and resourses avilable to you .Light bars , beacons and spot lights all cause wind noise as well.

If noise is coming through drivers window, put both windows down a bit, then put drivers window up until it stops, then put passenger side window all way up, then do drivers side again for that final centremetre and it will be fully sealed now

i taped up the flashing lights so they couldn’t make any noise, no difference.
Taped up the sun roof and it made a difference but not the problem.
It is definitely coming from the from the roof not the doors

What else could cause it?
How do you adjust the sun roof? anyone done it?

bowers340:
i taped up the flashing lights so they couldn’t make any noise, no difference.
Taped up the sun roof and it made a difference but not the problem.
It is definitely coming from the from the roof not the doors

What else could cause it?
How do you adjust the sun roof? anyone done it?

Have you tried what i suggested. It was a common fault when the new shape Volvo came out. Volvo were made aware of it and rectified the problem so it doesn’t happen in the later models