Ffs london

Got a week of driving out of docklands for a courier company through my regular agency.

Today is my first day and I only had five drops and three collections but managed just 2/5 as I couldnt stop at two (double parked narrow street and busy cross roads on red route with no loading bay) and the other was a really tight bend with a 11ft limit so couldnt take my 14’2" in from the other end.

I should manage my collections ok, as theyre on commercial estates or a nice big road, but have drawn the conclusion that Im ok at driving in london but I just can’t manage any deliveries :s

Don’t get down hearted, it’s only your first day.

At least you haven’t had any “incidents”! :wink:

With a bit more experience, you’ll get familiar with the streets and will know when you can park in an adjacent street on a bay and nip through an alley way on foot to deliver to a street with a height or width restriction, etc.

It will come together more quickly than you think, so just give yourself a chance and take your time.

Good luck with it all. :slight_smile:

nope no “incidents” other than someone calling me a “self pleasurer” when he was coming to fast round a corner.

Im sure ill get the hang of it given a chance its just frustrating fighting through traffic and cyclists (suicidal idiots!!!) only to find you cant make the drop.

I take my hat of too you I would rather go anywhere than London hate driving there even in my car! only the other week a taxi driver decided to merge onto flyover , lot of traffic and I had let an artic in and then settled in behind him saw Black cab race up ramp then he decided he was gonna force his way in front of me unfortunatley I had nowhere to go flowing traffic on my right and left a nice circular scrape on his cab no damage to me except a scuff on hub cap and then he tried to tell me I had to let him in , er hang on mate those broken white lines there mean give way for you not me i mean fancy arguing with a 24 tonne truck :unamused:
Best of luck with it

Jen x

Just a little update.

On tuesday i dropped 5/6, 7.5t limit except for loading but no way i could squeeze in.

Yesterday i was at dartford and did 6/7, that one was “Unsuitable for HGVs” and no answer on contact phone number.

Today im back at Docklands and just gone on break waiting for my collections and the score stands at 4/6. One was all double parked and there was 300kg of fabric, no way i was handballing that 100m down the road. The other was a double parked street blocked by a grab lorry for half an hour/three drive bys.