Few questions and Hello!

Hey Guys,

Been hanging around the forum for a while and reading lots of threads. Am currently a Taxi driver in Norwich and have booked in for my medical next week and will start theory and lessons asap but just had a couple of questions before I start the process.

This may seem like a stupid question but I’ve been self employed for a lot of years, so please forgive me.

Pay: Do agency / companies only pay for hours driving or do you get paid from the moment you get in the cab to the moment you leave your cab?

Also should I do my class 2 and do agency work and then do my class one during my holiday / days off, or should I stick to class 2 for a year or two before doing class 1.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

First of all good luck with your medical !

As for agencies I’m sure there are some that are different but the one I’m with pays you from your agreed start times and once started you get a minimum of 8 hours pay for each shift if even if it is less than 8 hours or if you do more than 8 hours you will get paid for the amount of hours you actually do.

As for the licence I personally went through both class. 1 & 2 before signing up to an agency then took on work on both classes

Hope this helps
Chris

Hi Rob,

Here is a vlog from a chap (HGV driver) that offers his view on whether to do a stint in class C before doing C+E.

He also charts his HGV journey which you might find useful.

youtube.com/watch?v=l-lOwyAp5yM&t=28s

Good luck.

HYG:
Hi Rob,

Here is a vlog from a chap (HGV driver) that offers his view on whether to do a stint in class C before doing C+E.

He also charts his HGV journey which you might find useful.

youtube.com/watch?v=l-lOwyAp5yM&t=28s

Good luck.

Ha ha ha its the ■■■■■■■ bell end that started crying about trucker Jay. Potato head.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cheers guys. Thanks for the advice. Will check out some youtube stuff!

Is agency work worth it or should I wait to find a perm job.

Depends if you want to work at the same place all the time or get experience of a few different places, trucks, drops etc personally I think the agency was great for me as a newbie to get a variety of experience in a short space of time haha not that i know anywhere near as much as an old timer but feel I’ve had more experience than just working for one haulage company

Thanks Chris. Well I will probably try agency to begin with I guess its a trial for both driver and company no point jumping straight into a perm job if you don’t even know if you’re going to enjoy the work!

I’d give it a go rob, at least then you will find out what type of work you might prefer a career in like fridge work, curtain siders etc. Good luck with everything !

Cheers

I’m sure I’ll update on here!

Worked with two agencies, gets you good experience of different vehicles, loads, and clients. I’m stuck at Class C but believe many go to CE straight away with no issue.
More handballing with Rigids, but no messing with trailers!

Don’t actually mind the handballing as long as its not insanely tiring. Being a Taxi driver has made me very unfit these last four years so any hard work is better for me :sunglasses:

One other question is do you gain holiday pay working with agencies?

robbeh:
Don’t actually mind the handballing as long as its not insanely tiring. Being a Taxi driver has made me very unfit these last four years so any hard work is better for me :sunglasses:

One other question is do you gain holiday pay working with agencies?

The handballing and getting of ya Arse I find a perk! Not sure about holiday pay, I only work when I want to, I think you do accrue something? Others (limpers) more Knowledgeable than me will know?