Ferry mode doesn't work on my Stonebridge tacho

Just curious how most people do their split ferry breaks, the daf I drive the ferry mode never registers and I’ve tried every way I’ve been told to try. Therefore the next day it’s constantly telling me I need 9 hours daily rest, do some tachos just not register the split ferry break properly?

hammertothefloor:
Just curious how most people do their split ferry breaks, the daf I drive the ferry mode never registers and I’ve tried every way I’ve been told to try. Therefore the next day it’s constantly telling me I need 9 hours daily rest, do some tachos just not register the split ferry break properly?

I have a 16 plate DAF with a VDO tacho and the ferry mode is hit and miss.
Firstly I won’t even go into the port if I’m over 12hrs duty, once I’m in the lane I put on break and end location, I move into the ferry place on ferry mode and back to rest, then I run to parking within the remaining hour, and place back on rest once parked. Following morning other work and start location change.

At what point in your break do you enter the ferry break mode?

I’ve tried both putting it to bed at port and setting ferry mode, shunt onto boat, back to ferry mode and when ready to drive off boat put it to ferry mode again before shunting off but it always messes up the break and doesn’t count down the 1 hour shunting time before or after getting on or off the ferry. I’ve also tried the just putting it to ferry mode on boat and then driving off and it works for other drivers but not in the daf I drive. I was stopped at Buckley about 2 weeks ago and showed the dvsa fella my diary with a printout stapled to the page for every time I do a ferry mode and the guy says it wasn’t a problem cause it was all documented in the diary and I wasn’t hiding anything. Would be nice to get the tacho working right though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammertothefloor:
I’ve tried both putting it to bed at port and setting ferry mode, shunt onto boat, back to ferry mode and when ready to drive off boat put it to ferry mode again before shunting off but it always messes up the break and doesn’t count down the 1 hour shunting time before or after getting on or off the ferry. I’ve also tried the just putting it to ferry mode on boat and then driving off and it works for other drivers but not in the daf I drive. I was stopped at Buckley about 2 weeks ago and showed the dvsa fella my diary with a printout stapled to the page for every time I do a ferry mode and the guy says it wasn’t a problem cause it was all documented in the diary and I wasn’t hiding anything. Would be nice to get the tacho working right though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The correct way is as I stated above, you select rest on arrival in the lane and you select ferry mode when on the ferry, this indicates the reason for the interruption in your rest period, you move off the ferry park up and place back on rest, complete your 11 hour rest and all’s legal

I messed it up first time I used it, I set the ferry mode as soon as I put it on rest at the port and was picked up by the analyses software. I asked the software company why it showed an infringement and was told to do it this way.
Don’t set it when you go onto rest, but set it before you move once you’ve booked of and gone onto rest, all it does it put a marker at that point to show why you came off rest.
When I did it that way the software I used recognised it and didn’t show an infringement.

But it might be a good idea to keep your ferry tickets or cabin key card as they have the dates and times of the ferry, so you can use it as proof you were using a ferry when the infringement occurred.

muckles:
I messed it up first time I used it, I set the ferry mode as soon as I put it on rest at the port and was picked up by the analyses software. I asked the software company why it showed an infringement and was told to do it this way.
Don’t set it when you go onto rest, but set it before you move once you’ve booked of and gone onto rest, all it does it put a marker at that point to show why you came off rest.
When I did it that way the software I used recognised it and didn’t show an infringement.

But it might be a good idea to keep your ferry tickets or cabin key card as they have the dates and times of the ferry, so you can use it as proof you were using a ferry when the infringement occurred.

Exactly this, it did me the first time aswel. Print outs just show a little ship next to the line for the driving time for the interuption.

The fta sent me a nice letter telling me not to do it again.