Ferry crossings

Can some tell me if the law as changed regarding spilt ferry rest . Was told today that you have to have 3 hours on rest. Before you can class it as a split ferry rest . I recently had a check by VOSA and no infringements were found on my card for ferry rest. I always stick to the 13 hour rule on split ferry rest the same as with a split daily rest. The VOSA officer said this was the correct way to do them . So at it changed recently ■■

have not heard of anything, do a quick search and nothing can up still the same, 2 movements totalling a maximum of 1 hr to load and off load and you can only interrupt an 11 hr daily rest, what the confusion might be is some people were talking about using a split daily break while on a crossing of over 3 hrs the other day on here :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

A Split Daily Rest is a Split Daily Rest regardless of whether a ferry is involved or not. The fact a ferry is in the equation makes not a jot of difference to the requirements to split the rest period, one uninterrupted period of at least 3 hours and one uninterrupted period of at least 9 hours. So you could have three hours loading/unloading somewhere or three hours on a ferry then 9 hours at the end of your shift. You could also have three hours waiting to board the ferry and 9 hours on board but again the ferry is irrelevant in the use of a Split Daily Rest. The rules on Split Daily Rest haven’t changed since 11th April 2007 when it changed from two or three periods with the shortest being not less than 1 hour and the final period not less than 8 hours, to the current two periods of at least 3 and at least 9 hours.

The only rest period where a ferry has a bearing is the option to interrupt a regular daily rest period no more than twice to embark/disembark and interrupting the rest period is not the same as splitting the rest period.