Ferry crossings

When you split your rest on a ferry crossing. How are you supposed to use the digi tacho.

Do you remove it as normal at the start of your rest period then re-insert the digi card to drive on/off the ferry and remove again once you start the second part of your daily rest.

Any help welcome

You are interrupting the rest, not splitting.

Have a search in the legal forum, I’ve posted the way to do it many times and I can’t be arsed typing it out again. You do leave the card in though.

Only done this the once but here’s the way I was told to do it.

1. Book off once on the boat in the country of departure.
  2. Set the tacho to boat/train mode.
  3. Once the crossing is over don’t touch the tacho and drive off the boat and once you’ve parked up book off in the country you are now in.

Seemed simple enough to me and the tacho seemed ok with it because it was happy with the break and didn’t go mental once I finally started my new shift.

Cheers
Neilf

thats the way i used to do it as well, never take it out or it can cause all sorts of problems in euroland, they like it in 24hrs a day.

how do u mean book off once when on the ferry to country of departure

Maybe I wasn’t too clear but you leave the card in throughout.

I’m not a regular user of a digi tacho but somewhere in the menus is an option to name the country your shift starts/ends in. This is where you select the country in 1 & 3 in my first post.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Neilf

neilf:

3. Once the crossing is over don’t touch the tacho and drive off the boat and once you’ve parked up book off in the country you are now in.

Seemed simple enough to me and the tacho seemed ok with it because it was happy with the break and didn’t go mental once I finally started my new shift.

Cheers
Neilf

Not correct. You have to touch the tacho before disembarking and the way you are doing it you aren’t recording a rest.

Oh, and there is no such thing as boat/train mode.

Right I’m finished driving for the shift so I can answer now.

Arrive in the port, book on and get in the lane to wait for boarding.

Switch tacho mode to rest and set end country. Leave card in.

First part of daily rest.

When it us time to board go into the menu and scroll to the ferry/train option. Press OK. This is the digital equivalent of the pen we used to use to write on the chart to explain why we had interrupted our rest. It’s just a digital pen to mark the data and not some magical mode.

Board ferry, mode will change to driving.

On board change more switch to rest.

Second part of rest.

Two options now on completion of the crossing.

1. If you have not had 11 hours rest in total, go back into the menu and press OK for the ferry/train option. Still just a digital pen, no magic mode in play here.

Disembark, park up and switch mode to rest.

Third and final part of rest.

When 11 hours rest completed change mode to other work. Set begin country and crack on.

Or

1. If you have completed 11 hours rest change mode to other work, set begin country, disembark and crack on.

All the normal rest rules still apply, rest must be within the 24-hour period, and you must have at least 11 hours if rest. This means to allow for the rest plus the time for the interruptions you cannot do more than about 12 - 12.5 hours duty before getting to the port.

The two interruptions must total no more than 1 hour.

Also note you must have access to a bunk or couchette for all parts of the rest so you cannot use this on the shuttle or Dover/Calais crossings. And no, those long chairs on Norfolk Line or the Spirit of Britain are neither bunks nor couchettes. :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

neilf:

Cheers
Neilf

Not correct. You have to touch the tacho before disembarking and the way you are doing it you aren’t recording a rest.

You just could not help yourself could you? That is the 313th time you have typed that reply :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Coffeeholic:

neilf:

Cheers
Neilf

You just could not help yourself could you? That is the 313th time you have typed that reply :laughing:

Indeed. I’m just lying here as we head down the M6 so I had the time.

kevinbwk:
When you split your rest on a ferry crossing. How are you supposed to use the digi tacho.

Do you remove it as normal at the start of your rest period then re-insert the digi card to drive on/off the ferry and remove again once you start the second part of your daily rest.

Any help welcome

coffeeholic has answered the rest options but why do you think it normal to eject the card at the end of the shift? if you are planning to use ferries there’s a good chance you are going into europe, well i hope you’ve got money for the gendarmes as they love drivers who take the card out every night, they think you are using it somewhere else :unamused:
leave the card in at night and just book end country then when you start book start country thats the beauty of the digicard so easy to use no need to keep ejecting and certainly no need to do a printout everyday like a lot of drivers think

Wise words from the Spanish residing Ovis Aries lover. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Wise words from the Spanish residing Ovis Aries lover. :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: had to google that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I’m not old enough to have done latin in school :stuck_out_tongue: