Ferry cost from N.I

Someone has asked a Q on another forum I use,about ferry costs from N.Ireland to the mainland,for a 7.5t.

It is unladen,not being used for hire and reward,and will eventually end up near Gloucester,for a 2 day motorsport event.

Can anyone suggest the best/cheapest operator?

Ken.

We always used to use Stena on the Fleetwood - Larne route. It’s about an 8 hour crossing, but you get a cabin and 2 meals on the boat free of charge. I have no idea of cost, you’d have to email them as they dont put a cost on their website for commercial vehicles.

stenaline.co.uk/stena_line/s … larne.html

If you want the shorter crossing’s but longer drive then you can go Stranerar - Belfast on the HSS, which only takes 2hrs i think, but its not very nice when it gets a bit choppy in the North Channel.

Giving a price is difficult as we get (we are led to believe!) a better rate - even though I don’t know what it is (but I can find out on Monday).

What I do know is Norse Merchant (which has just been bought out, BTW) won’t be the nicest boat you’ve ever been on :cry: but does have ‘mileage’ advantages.

As for the shorter crossing, we mostly use the HSS (fast sailing) which runs Belfast to Stranraer (2hrs) although i’m fairly sure that the Larne - Cairnryan is a fair bit cheaper (and not much longer, if at all!?!).

I prefer the HSS - better drivers lounge.

Good replies so far.

Said person,has just been sent the link to this site,and may open a new thread,or may post on this one,so please keep an eye out.

Cheers.

Ken.

P@O from larne do Hi speed sailing into Cairnryan in 1 hour,although slower freight boat can be 2+.Also Stena sail Larne to Fleetwood.,P@ O own Larne Harbour and they do work together on prices.
There is also Merchant Ferries from Warrenpoint to Heysham ,but never used them and dont know much about prices.
The ferry companies are looking for ferquent crossing such as Mcburney or Montgomery,if you know of any firm does lots of crossings,some will let you use their account.
Hope this helps a bit.
regrds derek