Ferguson transport

Anybody work for this outfit? Any good to work for??

Ferguson of spean bridge? If so, I was tipping next to one of their drivers a while back. He had a massive tear in his curtains where someone slashed it while having his time off in a layby. His attitude, and rightly so IMO, was that he didn’t give a toss. ‘That’s what they get if they don’t want to pay our parking.’

a weeks work & if you chuck it they want a weeks notice…or they hold yr weeks pay & you end up pink lint :open_mouth:

Ferguson of Blyth are a long established firm, if you’re referring to them. I know of drivers who worked for them for many years, although that was some time ago.

Don’t know about some of the replies here, but i know they definitely pay for parking, they leave you alone to do the job without the constant phone calls!
Pretty relaxed outfit apparently. But thats the depot in Plymouth!

SiAmon:
Ferguson of Blyth are a long established firm, if you’re referring to them. I know of drivers who worked for them for many years, although that was some time ago.

They must must be doing summat right ,always good kit ,descent lads and been in the game yonks …

Well,which one is it then,Ferguson of Spean Bridge or Blyth,there’s only one way to find out,fiiiiiiight! :laughing:

Spean bridge, running from grangemouth to Ft William

ivor biggin:

Thats not a bad way to spend the week

I spotted one of Fergusons trailers today. On the Emirates Road just outside of Ras Al Khaimah.

I guess he must have taken a wrong turn off the A1.

Jockeyboy:
I spotted one of Fergusons trailers today. On the Emirates Road just outside of Ras Al Khaimah.

Don’t know about some of the replies here, but i know they definitely pay for parking, they leave you alone to do the job without the constant phone calls!

Both of the above are the non Spean Bridge Ferguson :slight_smile:

Ferguson Spean Bridge don’t pay for parking, £23 night out allowance is to cover parking costs… High turnover of staff, likely due to the amount of corporate BS and paperwork. Lots of company rules and procedures to obey.

LowRange:

Jockeyboy:

Both of the above are the non Spean Bridge Ferguson :slight_smile:

Ferguson Spean Bridge don’t pay for parking, £23 night out allowance is to cover parking costs… High turnover of staff, likely due to the amount of corporate BS and paperwork. Lots of company rules and procedures to obey.

So they do pay parking then, it’s the nights out they don’t pay, and drivers mug enough to work there, chose to park in lay bys to keep the parking money. Sounds like a quality outfit :unamused:

ivor biggin:

Sounds like a cushy job. Makes you wonder why nobody stays on it for long though. I know a guy who did it but I dont know when I will bump into him. He is backshift, I am dayshift so we generally wave as we pass in opposite directions

They also have a marine division and the turnover there is quite high so I have been told, one chap I know very well went as Captain of their ship ‘Harvest Caroline II’ and lasted 7 days, Jack Ferguson has phoned me twice to go there but on both occasions have been on other ships so couldn’t help.

scanny77:

ivor biggin:

Sounds like a cushy job. Makes you wonder why nobody stays on it for long though. I know a guy who did it but I dont know when I will bump into him. He is backshift, I am dayshift so we generally wave as we pass in opposite directions

It won’t just be back and fore between Grangemouth and Fort William. A typical load out of Fort William is sawn timber and that could be going anywhere in the UK.

LowRange:

scanny77:

ivor biggin:

It won’t just be back and fore between Grangemouth and Fort William. A typical load out of Fort William is sawn timber and that could be going anywhere in the UK.

Your probably right, although they do have a small yard in Grangemouth docks now and do a lot of changeovers there with a lot of products out of Grangemouth going North etc.

Strange one though, they seem to have lots of long-timers and the rest are constantly leaving/new guys being recruited, sounds like a bit of a marmite job. Or possibly the long-timers are from up the Fort William etc area where there might not be much other work so they have stuck at it comfortably over the years and get looked after better.

Seems to be typical general haulage…low hourly pay but you’ll get long/near maximum hours and be out all week. Which unfortunately people are willing to do.