Female drivers

Hi, I’m starting my Combined licence C/C+E training in January and being one of the very few females considering this career, is there any women out there who can give me any advice?

There are loads of us women out there driving

1st a driver 2nd a female simple as that

What would you like to know is it poss yep defo can you do it yep if you want to

But might ask the trainers on here as they are better qualified to answer

Very professional and skilful in my experience. Well mannered too.

No problem at all as far as I’m concerned

No problem at all with women in the job. We train lots of women and the majority have no difficulties that men don’t have. My only advice is not to try and act like a man. Women are women, men are men and all should be respected for who and what they are.

Enjoy your training. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I like seeing the ladies on the job. I figure they have bigger balls than most of the men to even be prepared to take it on in such a male dominated industry.

Driver first, driver last, ■■■/gender should not be relevant. The job these days is mostly about brains and not muscles. Anyone who is reasonably fit and able can manage it. I expect the verbal barrage from some men might be difficult to take, but hopefully from most it will simply be respect regardless of ■■■.

Thanks for all your positive comments. I really look forward to getting my license, it’s been a lifelong dream. I’m 40 now so I’ve got plenty of life experience, also of working in a male dominated sector.

The company I work for have approx 50 I am the only female there dont get treated any different form the lads there

Dont be afraid to ask for help we have all done it at some point

Got to follow your dreams i think All the best with it.

We have 3 female’s now at our depot and the youngest is only 21 and 20 when she started with us, obviously not a great deal of experience but she’s doing fine .

Hi, I’m out and about most days here in Leicestershire and I see a lot of female drivers both c+e and psv so good luck following your dream. :smiley:

Dan

Another lady here, I drive a low loader delivering farm machinery and have found apart from a few farmers who are genuinely surprised when I getout in my pink jacket everyone to be very helpful. Only piece of advise is to plan loo breaks well in advance we are not designed as well as men if you get caught out!!!

lilac lady:
Another lady here, I drive a low loader delivering farm machinery and have found apart from a few farmers who are genuinely surprised when I getout in my pink jacket everyone to be very helpful. Only piece of advise is to plan loo breaks well in advance we are not designed as well as men if you get caught out!!!

There are way & means just have to think a bit different that all

Dont have anything pink but at 147 cm sometimes they are surprised

Welcome Yoni, I am a male , I would say go for it.
Continental Express in Waltham Abbey do runs to Gibraltar for Morrison’s supermarkets as two driver teams by driving non stop to Gibraltar.
A lot of drivers use baby wipes to clean off the steering wheel.
If no time for a shower, the wipes can be used military style for personal hygeine.
It does not matter what the ■■■ of the driver is, you would be made welcome wherever you deliver to, as they are more interested in what they have ordered.
I find hand sterilizer gel handy.
Container drivers do not touch their load, the client sorts unloading out.
Ask a driver how to ratchet strap a load if required.
Ask away on here for advice on tachograph regulations.

Yes I’m a driver class1, female. I just get on with the job, whatever they send me to do. I don’t bother with the ‘pink’ jacket etc.
I found you park up somewhere it is wise to move anything out of the window etc ,or direct sight of those outside the cab!& lock the doors. You don’t know who’s lurking along the road or in fields next to laybys, on foot or in cars etc, it’s just common sense stuff really.
I have always found the other male drivers very helpful and great to get on with , & I help them in return.

lilac lady:
when I get out in my pink jacket…

Does that count as hi-viz? Heck, I’ve got to get me one of those… :slight_smile:

Hey Yoni

Another female driver here. 7.5t at the moment but planning on C & C+E in time.
I really enjoy driving, working mostly with men doesn’t phase me, the majority of male drivers will always help a newbie regardless of your ■■■. And they all seem to have a great sense of humour.
The first day I arrived at the depot they all looked at me like I had come from outer space but being the only female driver I guess it was a bit of a novelty.
Try to plan ahead for toilet stops but as this is not always possible keep a she-wee in your bag, hopefully you’ll never need it but it’s peace of mind in case you get caught out lol :grimacing:

Its always funny to see a female driver slot it in one go all the while with an audience of laughing men. Those laughs soon stop after that.

I’ve passed my theory tests in one go, now I have CPC training tomorrow with the exam next week.
Thanks for all the positive comments! I’m already looking for jobs, I’m going to try permanent straight away, skipping the agencies as I think they probably take a lot of the wages.
Has anyone suggestions for good companies to work for around Basingstoke? No multi drop pls.

Well done you!
Go for it,
agency money is usually hype to lure you in then you get mucked about and exploited (my experience ).

Don’t ever get discouraged if you fail at any stage, my ex wife took 7 tests to pass. The end result is the goal and getting it is all that matters.
Good luck.

Thanks Bach home. My thoughts exactly, on both.
And to the other ladies comments, no pink for me either, black and boots and is more my thing.