Felixstowe Port

Last Friday night I had the container job! So I set off from Barking and made my way to Felixstowe.

I’ve never been to Felixstowe before but I knew the port would be well sign posted.

All I had on my paperwork was ‘Trinity’

So I arrived at the port and joined a queue, for once my luck was in and I had indeed found the correct place first time.

Sorted my paperwork out and explained to the guy in the office that it was my first time. He was very good and gave me a map of the port and marked the two places where I had to go for me.

No problems finding the unloading area (Area Y), then went to my loading area.

Once again, no problem finding it. This is where my problems started.

I’ve never been there before so I have no idea about how things work. I pulled up in the marked bay and waited for the crane to come and load me.

The first trip was fine, but on my second trip the crane operator had problems getting the container onto the trailer.

I could here a klaxxon, but had no idea what it was. All I know is you’re not supposed to get out of your cab, but he was having trouble so I had a quick look and I was too far up the bay, so I reversed a bit and on the container went.

From what I can understand my vehicle isn’t supposed to move, so why didn’t the crane operator just move up a bit to drop the container?

And this klaxxon thing, does one blast on the klaxxon mean he want me reverse my vehicle?

Can anyone explain the procedure to me please?

I do know you can get in touch with the crane operator by using the tannoy but I’ve never had to use it, and how long do you wait before thinking something is wrong?

Thanks

Russ

Hi Russ
The usual way is either to get out to check alinement before the crane gets there or if your lazy like me just park so your maybe a foot too far forward and when he is lowering the box just have a look our your window/door and back up or position.
They will usually slow as they get near the trailer so you can line up, unless you get a knob head whos had a bad day and then they just drop it down as hard as they can!!!
If you get a klaxon just get out for a look and if all seems well give him a call (with high vis on of course)
Its worth looking round your trailer while waiting to check twistlocks are all up and un locked as they tend to jump about a bit when empty on that ■■■■■ block paving.
Make sure your trailer is stretched fully as well and the right twistys are up if picking up a 40’ after youve had a 20’ on as thats often a reason for getting the klaxon of DOOOOoooooooommmmm!!!

I was in Felixstowe yesterday afternoon…and got a right arsey crane driver when waiting for my box on.

Instead of bringing the box over and down so i could see the exact amount of millimetres i needed to move so it was lined, he simply sat with it over the stack and did nothing…i couldn’t even see the box properly unless i stood up and looked out the rooflight!
So eventually after some random movement by me backwards and forwards he decided to drop it down and i must have been further out than when i started!!

Beginning to rank that place worse than Seaforth…at least the scousers don’t stop work every time someone slams the cab door too hard and creates a bit of wind!

Start reading a paper or boil the kettle, works every time.
I they think your not bothered and want a break you bet your life they will do you quik as a flash in an attempt to ■■■■ you off

As badobsession said, keep an eye on your mirror and you’ll see as the box comes down, stick your head out of the window, try and spot the last 3/4 digits (make sure it’s yours) and line yourself up as it comes down. If you need to stretch your trailer, don’t pull under a crane to do it, a lot of crane drivers won’t wait for you to finish :open_mouth:

And if you didn’t spot it, the tannoy’s in the little cage between the wheels, but the only time you really need to use it is if he’s trying to put the wrong box on you (in which case he’ll probably want you to move so he can put it on the right motor - they don’t put in any more effort than they have to)

DonutUK:
I was in Felixstowe yesterday afternoon…and got a right arsey crane driver when waiting for my box on.

Instead of bringing the box over and down so i could see the exact amount of millimetres i needed to move so it was lined, he simply sat with it over the stack and did nothing…i couldn’t even see the box properly unless i stood up and looked out the rooflight!
So eventually after some random movement by me backwards and forwards he decided to drop it down and i must have been further out than when i started!!

Beginning to rank that place worse than Seaforth…at least the scousers don’t stop work every time someone slams the cab door too hard and creates a bit of wind!

Did he have to dig it out? He might have been updating locations for the one’s he’d moved or broken down (a VERY common occurrence there - my record is 7 hours with my box dangling in the air above me :laughing: )… Or he’d stopped to make a brew :wink:

It’s not a bad place as long as you accept you’re working at their pace - put yourself in the horizontal position and chill. If you stand around tapping your foot and checking your watch they’ll keep you waiting forever.

Easy once your used to it basicly they do the up and down you do the back and forward simples as the meerkat says. Reason for the klaxon impaitiant overpaid docker who thinks everyone knows what to do no way will they move for you except for exceptional circumstances or the rare chance of a good one.

I just used to line my twist locks up with the row of boxes my one was in, make a check of where my box was and how many movements he had to make to get to it, making sure my twist locks were open? Usually didn’t have to move too much, but some of the crane drivers take great delight in bouncing the box off your skelly a few times :smiling_imp: First time I did a box was out of Harwich at 4 in the morning, hadn’t a clue, and sure as eggs is eggs they put on the wrong box. I kind of thought they had so wasn’t surprised. But Harwich then wasn’t exactly busy with boxes so a simple matter of getting back under the crane.
The first time I got a box on with a twist lock in the closed position I stupidly got out my trusty bashing stick and gave the lock a clout, only for all the trailer lenses and most of the bulbs to pop out onto the deck :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
I did hear tell of a Bowmurs driver going up the crane after one of the drivers :question: I think I met him once, he was allegedly banned, well his motor was :exclamation: So Bowmurs just sent him back in with another motor. Any truth in this tale :question: Mind you my next door neighbours son is a crane driver and i wouldn’t go up the crane after him :exclamation: Liable to be taking free flying lessons :imp: :laughing: :laughing:

‘Crazytrucker’

Thank you everyone for your replies.

It does appear that I move my vehicle to align the container with my trailer.

I did use the tannoy last Thursday night.

Having watched a few lorries being loaded I saw that they moved to align the container with the trailer, rather than the crane moving.

Also, the klaxxon does look like it’s telling me to move, then stop.

All I do now is watch for the container coming down. Then I pop my head out of the door and check the number, and if the container is going to fit correctly.

Then I use my mirror and move the vehicle as required.

It lookes like I might be down there a couple of nights a week, but I will be using a number of white units with no markings. So, as much as it would be nice to meet you all I would have to spot you, rather than you spotting me.

Russ

Who ya on for chap?the others are right Felixstowe is a pain I went to purfleet expecting the same totally different experince so easy!keep an eye for me round barking as I’m on for Coltons out of creek road

I’m running for DHL (Poundland contract) out of Thames Road, so close yet so far apart!

We run with white Volvo’s or white Mercs.

I should be on this Friday night, starting at 6pm

Russ

its a pretty big and daunting place to visit the firtst few times, till you start getting the hang of it.
i remember the same happened to me 1st time, i didn’t know you had to move the truck for them, to get the box lined up, when its being lifted on. some of the straddle drivers are arses, most are fine, i’m sure they view us the same way.
others are spot on, go there chilled, and you’ll be fine.