Felixstowe Operation Stack

anyone in op stack at felix been offered any food??as in there little leaflet at the BP garage the other day in several languages it does say that food and water will be available same as on the web site for the port the other day but have noticed the web site has been changed now and dont say anything about food or water being available.

There was two burger bars in a layby

Buy your own if you want to walk a mile or two

It took me 39 hours to tip and load boxes.

was there any toilets??
at least u could get something to eat…Was it any good?

Sorry, I’m lost here - I know nothing about containers…Basically is what you’re saying is that the wind caused the port to close so all the HGV’s had to que onto the mail road and wait there for hours on end?

IS this any good for those who require information

-LINK

and also THIS

Those of you who think that by saying that your going to your yard are going to come very unstuck coz u wont get on the quay without a ticket. So even if you make it past the stack to the dock gates you will be sent back if you have no numbered ticket. If u go to your yard they issue so many tickets per hour depending on the size of the fleet. :smiley:

Is the wind getting stronger? I dont remember being queued up when I used to run out of Felixstowe or Dover tfor that matter.

It may have been a bit bumpy on the ferry but at least the Argo got through :stuck_out_tongue:

The Argo was like the Coutances without the refinements

i sat all day monday in orwell truckstop due to dock closure, tuesday was no different, operation stack was on and there were 400 trucks at least in it, 50 trucks per hour from stack going into the dock making an 8 hour wait, i went back to orwell and got a lift to milton keynes, from there i got a lift to the m42 and then home.
i went back down thursday morning, queued in stack for 2.5 hours then went to maldon in essex as most of deliveries had been cancelled and everyone was struggling to book things in again, also the boats either had not docked or been off loaded either so the opportunties for work were limited.
friday i went to leighton buzzard and the people there had not had any containers all week and had been bored stupid but managed to complain that it’s typical to get all the work on a friday with 3 trucks booked in, wow!
stack worked quite well with the exception of a complete lack of instruction meaning that some local hauliers trucks actually joined the stack when they should have gone to their yards for ticket allocation.
there were 3 snack vans in the big layby on the old a45 at levington, 3 portaloos near them and 3 near the road entrance. it was a long walk to food or loos if you were near the front and a long walk for food if you were near the back.
the biggest problem i saw was fuel wastage, the old bill were trying to be on top of the game and assumed everyone had an air leak that required the engine to be run 15 minutes before movement, they kept coming around and signalling the truck drivers to start the engines but nothing then happened for at least 10 - 20 minutes, theres a gallon gone by the time you’ve moved up 3 or 4 times.
it did work well but perhaps it would work better with smaller groups being sent to the dock more often, say 15 trucks every 10 or 20 minutes instead of 50 trucks every hour which just caused a blockage at the dock gates as everyone had to have their dock ticket checked to make sure they had actually been through the stack system instead of coming straight in.

johnny:
the biggest problem i saw was fuel wastage, the old bill were trying to be on top of the game and assumed everyone had an air leak that required the engine to be run 15 minutes before movement, they kept coming around and signalling the truck drivers to start the engines but nothing then happened for at least 10 - 20 minutes, theres a gallon gone by the time you’ve moved up 3 or 4 times.

I noticed this in the Dover stack too. The coppers were moving trucks up even a few feet and not letting them leave any gaps so if you were boiling the kettle you were likely to scald yourself as you edged up a yard.

One funny thing I saw in the Port Stack was a police bike on the stand next to a truck with the siren going off and the copper trying to wake the driver :stuck_out_tongue: Poor bloke had had enough and was having a nap over the wheel

It’s interesting to hear the point of view of someone who was in it as i work for a local haulier we go straight to yard now. all we are waiting for now is the v b s to start proper let’s see how much hassle that causes. But at least it looks like they are starting to get things right from what you have said.