felixstowe docks

my bro lives and works in france for an airplane engine maker. their stuff was shipped thru felixstowe but in more recent times thru london gateway. he was over here last week on holiday and told me hed heard somewhere that felixstowe docks is lined up for closure.

now i live in felixstowe but dont work thru the docks-but i do notice i hardly ever see a big ship on the sea these days heading in or out / for many years youd allus see 2 or 3 out on the horizon heading in or out of the port. my neighbour drives a tug on the docks and hes sitting at home he was on short time but seems his agency jobs gone diddlo -i dont talk to him much as hes lairy n sour but last week we stood by our gates and he said “look at last theres a big un coming in!” its sitting high tho even i could see it was chock full of empty containers summats wrong,
but i never see anything on the news or telly about the docks. i have noticed the goods trains out of the docks are half empty

Careless talk cost lives. This thread is worthless without proof, we need a comment from 6ylt.

Carn’t see the docks closing, It will pickup and when the A14 is fully open at Cambridge, it make transport to and from Felixstowe so much easier (I hope) :neutral_face:

You only need 2 megamax a week to supply Felixstowe,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggriffin:
Careless talk cost lives. This thread is worthless without proof, we need a comment from 6ylt.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: watch you don’t cut yourself on your tongue Biggriffin! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As I type this there are four container ships alongside and one on the way in and four or five at anchor waiting to berth so hardly dead …

corij:
my bro lives and works in france for an airplane engine maker. their stuff was shipped thru felixstowe but in more recent times thru london gateway. he was over here last week on holiday and told me hed heard somewhere that felixstowe docks is lined up for closure.

Talking crap. There’s nowhere else I can recall in the UK with sufficient draught to take the mega container ships and if the depth isn’t sufficient then where are they going to go to discharge?

There is only one metre lass water at the London Gateway than there is at Felixstowe and two meters less at Southampton so two more contenders for the option of handling the biggies …

Don’t know the truth of it but heard that a lot of boxes are getting discharged at Rotterdam and then transhipped onto EE trucks to come over. More chance of reloading boxes on the continent.

Smaller feeder ships are used when the biggie is not bound for the UK but if a sufficient number of boxes are on board then it will be a scheduled visit …