Fed Up ..................

So why wait Question Most rdc’s give you a booking in time Exclamation. Give them half hour over that time, then tell them your pulling out.They will soon get the message.

I wish it was that simple m8, ive phoned the TM and said this to him but all I get is “you must wait its GOT to be tipped”, and also I honestly dont think the big RDC’s give a flying [zb], for example I was at Adsa Lutterworth last week (IDC) I had ONE pallet on for them, an after a two hour wait, they refused it !!! the reason ? “substandard pallet” and on closer inspection there was a small piece of wood that had been chipped off on the front !!! can you believe that !!!

What are your contracted hour’s Question .No one can force you to do 15 hour shift’s Wink

True I know but, ive only been with this firm a few months and not even got a contract yet, something I need to pursue with vigure.

I work for DHL and if i want i can do 8 hour shift Mon-Thur,and 7 hour on Friday.Is there a depot near you. Question If so go and phone them and see if anything is going.

There is one down at East Mids’ Airport I think but not tried them, maybe Ill give 'em a call :wink:

But that might not be the right thing for the guy standing next to you.His family might need the overtime to get by and to make end’s meet.That’s why we should have the choice mate,and not be told.

I do see your point, but in my opinion it comes back to pay and the companies, If the tight [zb] paid more (which we all deserve) then the guy who needed more money to get by…wouldnt…becuase he would be earning enough without the O/T

:wink:

Sorry Crushed_Ice, but if it needs stars, it’s got to go. Lib.

I work for an own-account firm and can certainly vouch for the fact that the job is easy. We are not in competition with other hauliers vying for the work, and are there to serve the customers. We do, however, deliver to RDCs, and maybe its pure luck on my part, but its very rare to spend more than 2 hours there (and yes, we deliver to Tesco :open_mouth: )The money is not brilliant, but, on average I only work about 40/week, even though were paid for 48. Night out are few and far between, and I do them through choice when there is a run to Scotland (only 2 of us out of 5 artic drivers want the run.) Cant for the life of me see why the other drivers wont do the run, as were allowed 3 days for the run, but only takes 2 (last one I did had 3 drops in Glasgow all within about 2 miles of each other, and I pulled out of the 3rd one at 1210 on the first day :laughing: )Just to make you all feel a bit better - a couple of the Tesco RDCs collect their own loads from our factory, and when 1 of their drivers arrived one day, one of our drivers let him in the yard, and told him to park up straight ahead and somebody would be with him shortly. What he didn`t tell him was that the loaders office was in the other side of the factory, so it was 3 hours before they knew he was there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Regards
Trev

nice one trev, can i send money to that hero driver.

give them a taste of their own i say.

I’ve felt like that many times Crushed Ice, The thing that got me is the parasites that run the ‘logistics’ industry are under the delusion that you need them more than they need you.

I’ve swapped and changed jobs more times than soft nick and always for the same reason, I simply wouldn’t work for anyone that would treat me as a number, an object that they need to shift the load. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t want putting on a pedestal, or a reserved place in the car park but did appreciate a ‘morning Phil’

The problem over working hours v pay is always a difficult (and personal) one to balance and the introduction of the WTD might have helped if we as drivers had not been shafted with the POA. (IMHO)

I worked on agency for a number of years working on the theory of I might as well get paid a few extra quid for the hours I put in enabled me not to put as many hours in. It also had the advantage that when the spotty oik behind the transport desk pushed me too far I could just ring the agency an say don’t sent me in there any more. If agencies have good, no not good, just capable drivers and you push them a bit it’s amazing how far you can push them both on choice of work and the rate they will pay.

I worked for one in Leeds and would regularly throw my teddy out of the cot so to speak. Just as an example, I used to like to work Sunday to Thursday nights. When I rang in on the Friday for next weeks work they come out with on Monday can you go to Longs, Depends if you can work me on Sunday night? If you can’t I’ll go to an agency that can. It only ever happened once when they couldn’t but I didn’t work for them all week despite their constant nagging on the phone, I would rather be laid up for a night or two through the week. It never happened again.

Agency might not be for you, and to be honest it I hated much of the messing about but as I said at least I got a premium rate unlike many regular drivers who had to take it in fear of their jobs.

In the end I took a job with Wincantons in Leeds on a 4 on 3 off rota. That suited me to the ground, although their constant rules and regs did my head in but I could put up with it Sunday to Wednesday normally working around 40 hours and paid for 60 (48 + 12 for working Sundays.) Alas Arla ended up shafting Wincantons and took the contract off them, but there was no way I was going onto any 5 from 7 with only 50 days a year that they couldn’t call you in.

The thought of going back on the agency didn’t appeal and so I’d start my desperate attempt to escape from the industry but as always, couldn’t afford to do it.

In the end up I fell right on my feet with a right nice little number for a small operater in Wakefield delivering and collecting site cabins The motor is old but well maintained and my gaffer always asks me if I can do anything rather than tells me to. A small difference but so much more productive. And because he dosent hold any fancy title other than gaffer he’s at liberty to drop a few extra quid in the wage packet for helping him out.

Have a good look round, you’re a wagon driver and that’s the only thing that you have in common with all those moaning sods you meet in the RDC’s. Basically your all there because you have a HGV licence, But having said that you never meet the bloke who drives the mobile library, or a binman, a tipper driver, a post office trunker, or the bloke who drives for the local builders merchant (to name but a few), and they all drive trucks for a living.

Good luck

it does,nt matter what type of work you do wether its own account,general haulage or supermarket work . you get good and bad days in all jobs. the idea is to find a job thats gives you a lot more good days than bad, and being that we are all different types of people some jobs suit different people.
i done supermarket work for five years and most of the time it was ok. the main reason i jacked it in was that the pay was average. we got paid a basic 9 hours a day which was,nt bad really and there was plenty of overtime available.however if you had a crappy first run then all you wanted to do afterwards was go home. result, no overtime.
the job im doing now is great ,it suits me but it does not suit all, i manage to get around 3 or 4 nights out a month but i never know when they are going to be. i can do a ten hour shift and go home,or i can do a 10 hour shift then get told im running on somewhere with a night out. a lot of drivers could,nt handle it, even though the money is great.
there are plenty of different driving jobs out there with plenty of different types of driver, only you know what you want, what hours you want to work etc. its just a case of narrowing the field down and giving it a try. if you want regular start and finish times then maybe a shunters job■■? or a regular night trunk.
and re the builders marchants drivers and forklift drivers. i meet loads of them, and most of them have done distance work in the past and got fed up doing 70 hours a week. they dont earn a huge amount, around 18 grand is the norm. but they all like the job, its a steady number, sensible hours etc, and if youve got kids the the tax people top your pay up.

Gurner:

Lucy:
. Also, don’t dismiss supermarket work completely… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .they never keep their own vehicles sat about the same lengths of time as the rest of us, :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: and they are some of the few to actually stick to the 48hr thing in it’s purest form. Just a thought… :wink:

Oh, and welcome to TruckNet UK!!! :grimacing:

I beg to differ !Been there done it, got the t shirt and got [zb] off with spending hours and hours (and i mean hours) waiting for a run cos the warehouse were behind or any other excuse.

i work on the supermarket job and i have never been kept waiting for a run for more than an hour. i would also say its very rare that i do over 10 hours a day usually 9 tues to saturday,

crushed ice:
]Is there such a thing as a 8-10 hour day EVERY day in this chosen profession of ours ?

Shift maximum 9-10 hours.
Driving roughly (Time. Not style. :open_mouth: ) 6 1/2 hours in total.
One trailer swap.
Same run daily.

:smiley: Love it. This run has bored some drivers to tears.

crushed ice:
If there is I wish somebody would point me in the right direction because ive searched high and low to no avail.!

:open_mouth: It’s one of those minging, plopping, flopping, slopping loads. You wouldn’t want it!

theres one or two furniture delivery firms in mansfield. have you tried mark websters furniture behind the old thompson jewitts yard? or what about synseal in huthwaite delivering windows? i used to work for the co-op at alfreton, there on 48 hr weeks now, you can either do 4 longer shifts or 5 short ones dependant on the days.
Corby chilled over at newark are dropping the length of there shifts down. Its a matter of getting out there and hunting these jobs down isnt it?
good luck in finding the perfect job anyway… you may need it :laughing:

What does that mean :question:

crushed_ice:

What does that mean :question:

No [zb] swearing. :wink:

:wink: L.

ahh I see… :laughing:

Sorry about that :confused:

:wink:

Ive tried uploading an avatar, which meets the requirements i.e 60x60 pixels and within the size limits but its not showing :question:

Am I missing something, :question:

Maybe Admin has to activate :question:

crushed_ice:
Ive tried uploading an avatar, which meets the requirements i.e 60x60 pixels and within the size limits but its not showing :question:

i changed my avatar and it doesnt show the new one or the old one :frowning:

back to the topic, this is the problem that drivers and companies have all over the country. we cant unite properly because we all enjoy different work. i would happily sit around RDCs all day drumming up new members for the websites. i talk to drivers wherever i can and hand out cards advertising Truckersworld, TruckNetUk and OnlineTruckers. i use every available opportunity to get talking to them for the benefit of these sites. its not as easy when you are hammering along trying to get multi drops done :laughing:

crushed_ice:

I’ve tried uploading one from my computer (C drive) but failed, I think it only works if you get the image off a website link.

Maybe Admin can step in and advise :question:

Uploading should work, but mine aint either so something wrong or we are missing something :smiley:

Sure Admin will come to the rescue :wink:

johnny:
nice one trev, can i send money to that hero driver.

give them a taste of their own i say.

It’s not the Tesco driver’s fault that a Tesco warehouse leaves you sitting around for hours on end!

It’s one thing I have learned working for a supermarket contract - considering one department (transport) shifts what the other (warehouse) assembles to the store - they have surprisingly little communication and co-operation between them.

:unamused:

Avatars… :cry: …to be honest, we still haven’t managed to get to the bottom of why they’re not working… :cry:despite numerous e-mails etc. to our tech guys… :cry:

Best thing to do if you’re one of the unlucky ones is to e-mail them to Rikki at UKAdmin@Truck.Net and he’ll put them up for you directly onto our server. Make sure you put “TruckNetUK” and your username in the subjectline so that we know who you are. :wink:

He’s up to his eyes with other work at the moment, so it might not get done straight away, but we promise he’ll get to it just as soon as he gets a spare 5 minutes. :grimacing:

Click on the link below and register (It’s FREE). Then upload your avatar to your account then copy and paste the bb code ( your avatar ) link to your Trucknet UK profile.

photobucket.com/

Long time since I’ve been on Trucknet, so Hello again!

Where I work from (airport) the guys who drive the fuel trucks around the airport only do around 8/9 hours a day. They get well paid. No traffic (except winged variety!), no miserable security staff, no ministry, no tachos. Seems quite good to me.

I used to do class 1 tramping, 5 nights away 70-80 hours a week. Could get a bit disheartening. Still miss it though…que those rose tinted specs!!!

Freight Dog :smiley:

Click on the link below and register (It’s FREE). Then upload your avatar to your account then copy and paste the bb code ( your avatar ) link to your Trucknet UK profile.
[/quote]

Thanks Hollywood good idea :laughing: