Fed up

Hi all
Well after a week of very enjoyable training the big test day arrives! Got to the test centre early as roads were fine despite the snow. Test is at 8.30am and i’m so ready for it. Sorry but the morning tests are cancelled! Why? i ask, the roads are perfectly ok! The test centre yard has snow on it so the lines on the reversing area can’t be seen. Why not sweep them clear then? i ask. Against health and safety i’m told!! I’ll do it for you then, that’s got to be better than a load of cancelled tests! Sorry but can’t allow you to do that just in case you slip over!
This country has gone mad!!!

Very common occurrence - had it happen to my trainees quite a few times over the years I was an instructor

I am surprised your instructor did not warn you this could happen especially on morning tests … or were you informed :question:

I suspect that trainers with DVSA approved centres have their own solutions to clear the reverse area but Govt ones will not fork out the money to do it

ROG:
Very common occurrence - had it happen to my trainees quite a few times over the years I was an instructor

I am surprised your instructor did not warn you this could happen especially on morning tests … or were you informed :question:

I was warned Rog, the thing that i’m more annoyed about is the attitude of the test centre. It seems to me that all anybody is concerned with now is the possibility of legal action if anything happens! never mind the poor sods who have taken holiday etc. Why can’t we just muck in and get on with it in this country anymore?

neil2402:

ROG:

I was warned Rog, the thing that i’m more annoyed about is the attitude of the test centre. It seems to me that all anybody is concerned with now is the possibility of legal action if anything happens! never mind the poor sods who have taken holiday etc. Why can’t we just muck in and get on with it in this country anymore?

Easy answer - EU parliament - never seem to have all this before that so its my belief that is where it comes from - willing to be proven otherwise though

You ain’t seen nothing yet Neil, just wait until you show up at your first RDC to tip, they will make the test centre look like angels.

If you can’t handle a bit of H&S at the test centre, you won’t last long as a driver.

ROG:
Easy answer - EU parliament - never seem to have all this before that so its my belief that is where it comes from - willing to be proven otherwise though

Nah, it is all the idiots without common sense that keep suing companies and governments for tripping over a fly.

This has nothing to do with the EU but everything to do with the blame culture in the UK, everybody blames everybody else and wants a few quid in the process.

We Brits are second to our inbred cousins across the pond. Nobody will admit a mistake if something goes wrong but calls the first injury solicitor they can find instead.

Most of the EU actually limits these kind of frivolous suits by demanding that anyone who wants to sue needs to deposit a bond with the courts first.

We can blame the US for this one, not the EU oh and the opportunistic layabouts.

wheelnutt:

ROG:

Nah, it is all the idiots without common sense that keep suing companies and governments for tripping over a fly.

This has nothing to do with the EU but everything to do with the blame culture in the UK, everybody blames everybody else and wants a few quid in the process.

We Brits are second to our inbred cousins across the pond. Nobody will admit a mistake if something goes wrong but calls the first injury solicitor they can find instead.

Most of the EU actually limits these kind of frivolous suits by demanding that anyone who wants to sue needs to deposit a bond with the courts first.

We can blame the US for this one, not the EU oh and the opportunistic layabouts.

+1
drives me mad

It is disappointing when that happens but in support of the examiners a bit, what would a candidate say if he failed on road markings if he couldn’t see them because of the thin snow covering. Or if the snow covered the speed limit sign and you failed for too fast or too slow.

We have a mini tractor with a spreader so we clear our test centre - and the road through the industrial estate together with other occupants of the estate.

But if the roads beyond that are poor, it’s a waste of effort except that it facilitates training that wouldn’t otherwise happen.

We are at the mercy of the weather and the examiners. But they don’t normally cry off lightly and do everything reasonable to cooperate with us.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m not having a go at any individual examiners. With all of the staff cuts that they have had, I think that they do the best that they can. My problem is with today’s sue culture! If anyone from above London has seen the news coverage of the snow in the south east then you must be laughing at us! The amount of snow on the test ground was minimal but the examiners are not allowed to use common sense and clear it just in case! It’s pathetic really. As I said, I travelled to the test centre on routes that varied from country lanes to main roads with no problems at all! All of the test routes around the centre were fine. Ten minutes with a broom or two would have cleared the reversing area and all tests could have gone ahead.

Who should sweep the reversing area :question:

ROG:

No doubt someone that has been suitably trained for such an operation and must be wearing correct ppe to protect from the effects of frost bite, wind chill etc. Once said operation has taken place a two hour wait would be appropriate while it was checked and signed off :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Anybody with an ounce of common sense who are not afraid of ten minutes manual labour in the cold. :unamused:

wrighty1:

ROG:

No doubt someone that has been suitably trained for such an operation and must be wearing correct ppe to protect from the effects of frost bite, wind chill etc. Once said operation has taken place a two hour wait would be appropriate while it was checked and signed off :laughing: :laughing:

That sounds about right! :smiley: lol

As examiners are not employed to clear the snow and ice then outside contractors would be needed and paid for so … would those doing tests be prepared to pay extra for that :question:

“FFS, give me a bloody broom and I’ll do it myself!”

ROG:
As examiners are not employed to clear the snow and ice then outside contractors would be needed and paid for so … would those doing tests be prepared to pay extra for that :question:

That’s taking Jobsworthism to a higher level. I’m not employed to clear snow from the yard either - But if it comes down to getting the lorries on the road and the deliveries done then I’ll chip in with the rest of the drivers. The alternative would be to sit there like the examiners and say “Sorry, no tests/deliveries today”. I’d suggest it was the difference between private and state employment, were it not for the fact that I know from my own experience that in some areas of the public sector it simply doesn’t happen.

Radar19:
“FFS, give me a bloody broom and I’ll do it myself!”

Until you slip over and break your arm and sue.

Or worse someone else slips over and breaks something. Who’s liable then? You sweeping or the centre?

For the record I agree with your sentiment. I had my test Thursday and when looked out the window that morning was ready to clear if needed!

Examiners get paid whether they go out or not so why would they clear the reverse area ?