FB Atkins of Findern Derby

Hi all, I am wondering if there are any ex FB Atkins of Fidern on the forum. I am trying to find out any details or photos which may have included my late father Brian Harris. My dad started of in the workshop at Findern and then went on the road and was unfortunately killed in ahead on with a green shield stamps van on the A5 near Flore. He was killed in the early seventies when I was two and my sister had just been born. As his death was such a shock my mother has never discussed him and have no photographs of that era. The only name i ever heard mentioned was his friend mick bradbury. Any information,photos would be appreciated.

Here are some from Bob Hobbs site transportphotos.com hope they help.
CX00497.jpg
CX00803.jpg
This M reg is a 1973 reg motor.

CXc00982-01.jpg
Hu03573.jpg
This one was taken in Sept 1975

VS01854.jpg

Hi John,
Many thanks for those pictures. From what i can work out he was killed driving a seddon atki.

If there are any ex-employees of F.B. Atkins & Sons Ltd, we are thinking of holding a reunion this year. If you are interested we can be contacted on atkinsreunion@outlook.com (or please PM me). We also have a Facebook group page - F.B Atkins and Sons Ltd Reunion group.

Many thanks.

PS. I have been given permission by Rikki Chequer to post this :smiley:

I will mention this to lenny smith and get a message to alan Williams aswell I used to work with lots of ex atkins men

Libduff:
If there are any ex-employees of F.B. Atkins & Sons Ltd, we are thinking of holding a reunion this year. If you are interested we can be contacted on atkinsreunion@outlook.com (or please PM me). We also have a Facebook group page - F.B Atkins and Sons Ltd Reunion group.

Many thanks.

PS. I have been given permission by Rikki Chequer to post this :smiley:

Hi Mike

That will be lovely, thanks for that.

Libby

Remember having breakfast at their café many times in the seventies, when out with my dad, always seemed a clean and tidy café.

Absolutely fantastic collection of F B Atkins photos here:

youtube.com/watch?v=finUm2S08Ew

240 Gardner:

That’s good viewing what an impressive set up I guess they had diversified too much and went belly up

robthedog:

240 Gardner:

That’s good viewing what an impressive set up I guess they had diversified too much and went belly up

I’m looking for photos of the Ford Cargos with centre mounted cranes and a couple of 4 wheelers with trailers which were on contract with Hulland Products ( forget but was it then ECC ).I think I sold them 3 6 wheelers with centre mounted cranes and two rear mounted detachable mounted Atlas Cranes with trailers.I do know there are some photos about and one was on the wall of Ian’s office but I don’t seem to having much luck

Tony

robthedog:

240 Gardner:

No, they didn’t go belly up - they sold the business. I can’t remember what happened to the international business (I’ve a feeling that it was sold separately) but I recall that Atkins retained the U.K. business for a while, doing predominantly containers, before selling out to NYK, perhaps in the early 2000s. I recall that they had some 40’ skellies rebuilt from the old close-coupled French tri-axle tilts form the international operation

The last time I was at Findern it had been redeveloped as an NYK Logistics (now Yusen) facility to support Toyota at Burnaston.

240 Gardner:

robthedog:

240 Gardner:

No, they didn’t go belly up - they sold the business. I can’t remember what happened to the international business (I’ve a feeling that it was sold separately) but I recall that Atkins retained the U.K. business for a while, doing predominantly containers, before selling out to NYK, perhaps in the early 2000s. I recall that they had some 40’ skellies rebuilt from the old close-coupled French tri-axle tilts form the international operation

The last time I was at Findern it had been redeveloped as an NYK Logistics (now Yusen) facility to support Toyota at Burnaston.

Hi 240 Gardner
British International from Southampton took over the international side they had a depot at Hilton and Cherbourg then moved to Caen

KNS64:

240 Gardner:

robthedog:

240 Gardner:

Hi 240 Gardner
British International from Southampton took over the international side they had a depot at Hilton and Cherbourg then moved to Caen

IIRC, Atkins International at Hilton was run by Arthur Atkins, the eldest brother, who split off from Ken and Ian when they didn’t want to do any more international work.

Steve

KNS64:
Hi 240 Gardner

Ah, thank you - I couldn’t remember for the life of me who it was.

rastone:

robthedog:

240 Gardner:

I’m looking for photos of the Ford Cargos with centre mounted cranes and a couple of 4 wheelers with trailers which were on contract with Hulland Products ( forget but was it then ECC ).I think I sold them 3 6 wheelers with centre mounted cranes and two rear mounted detachable mounted Atlas Cranes with trailers.I do know there are some photos about and one was on the wall of Ian’s office but I don’t seem to having much luck

Tony

Hi Tony
I remember the drags coming back from the sign writers where they had put Findon on the cab door instead of Findern. Never seen Ian so apoplectic!!

Steve