Faulty paper tacho

If I remember correctly when a digi tacho card develops a fault or is lost/stolen, you can do a manual record for a maximum of 15 days. Is it the same when a paper tachograph develops a fault or should it be fixed immediately?

Bottom line is should I refuse to drive it now or only if it hasn’t been fixed within 15 days? I always keep a record using TruckerTimer app regardless of using paper or digi.

Unfortunately your comparison of lost/faulty digital card to faulty analogue tacho is misleading.

If the analogue becomes faulty whilst out on the road, write a defect report, make a note on the back of your chart and make a manual record on the chart for the rest of the shift. If you are staying away in the vehicle you can continue to use it by making manual records for subsequent shifts but if this is going to be for more than a week - it must be repaired en-route.

You must not START a shift at base with a faulty tacho

Thanks Shep. It has a permanent fault with velocity trace and an intermittent fault where it stops all recording after an hour or so. Sounds like I have to refuse to drive it tomorrow as I will be starting from base.

And yes sorry I see how the title and start of my question was muddled. This is all about a faulty paper tacho.

If an analogue fails and has to be replaced, does it have to be replaced with a digitach? My ex employer replaced two broken analogues with digis’ but my boss now has been told if our analogue one fails it can be replaced with another analogue.
Which is right or do you have a choice?