Faulty digi card

I am a new driver the first time I put my digit card in it never read so I ejected in and the chip stayed in the tacho. I’ve been on to the dva and they basically said it’s tough luck so now I’m faced with a bill for a new card and a new tacho does anyone have any advice as the dva just don’t want to know about it

If your card is malfunctioning, you must return it to DVA along with a completed application form. Before applying you should check that it is your card that is not working properly.

You can do this by:
referring to your Vehicle Unit (VU) manual in order to check that the code being displayed on the VU relates to a card error
trying your card in another VU that you know is working correctly
asking a colleague who has a card which is working correctly to test their card in your lorry’s VU

A fee is not normally required. However, if you do not return your malfunctioning card with your application a fee of £19 is required before a replacement can be processed.

I don’t think you read the post properly the chip has fallen out of the card and it’s stuck in the tacho so yes the card had malfunctioned and it’s broken the tachograph

It’s the first time anyone has reported this on this forum. Assuming you still have the card, you can send it back for a replacement as described above. Maybe enclose a short explanation. As for the damaged tacho - I would have thought your employer would have to deal with that.

If I had just started work for for an employer who was now threatening to make me pay to repair HIS tachograph because my digicard had caused a problem with it I would do two things.

1. talk to other employees to try to see if this is a wind up, banter and bluster, or a deadly serious intention.
  2. if suspected to be serious go sick NOW and stay sick. That way there is some chance of wages being paid while you are off, because he thinks you are coming back again. Meanwhile look for another job.
    Every hour you stay is likely to be an extra hour’s money he will be holding onto and which you will never see. A new tachograph will be an arm and a leg and probably more than one weeks wages.
    His argument is with the DVSA. I am reasonably sure that in the bumph somewhere it says that the digicard is the property of the Secretary of State.

I’ve done all that and got the new card I had to pay the £19 for a damaged card

cav551:
If I had just started work for for an employer who was now threatening to make me pay to repair HIS tachograph because my digicard had caused a problem with it I would do two things.

1. talk to other employees to try to see if this is a wind up, banter and bluster, or a deadly serious intention.
  2. if suspected to be serious go sick NOW and stay sick. That way there is some chance of wages being paid while you are off, because he thinks you are coming back again. Meanwhile look for another job.
    Every hour you stay is likely to be an extra hour’s money he will be holding onto and which you will never see. A new tachograph will be an arm and a leg and probably more than one weeks wages.
    His argument is with the DVSA. I am reasonably sure that in the bumph somewhere it says that the digicard is the property of the Secretary of State.

Maybe it is owned by them, but its the drivers responsibility to look after it, why would the state pay for driver negligence.

I wouldn’t expect the state to pay for the driver’s misuse, negligence or lack of care. However if the card is proved to be faulty and therefore not fit for purpose the ‘warranty’ rests with the supplier. Now maybe the OP dropped it into the kettle, his cup of tea, a puddle of diesel, ran it over or some other (partially or not) blameworthy incident. But if he did not, then either he has been supplied with what proved to be faulty goods or there was something wrong with the tachograph. If I rent a car for a day and it breaks down I don’t expect the hire company to be expecting me to pay for the repairs to the vehicle.

It was the (first) time I ever used it ie it was brand new the chip that stores the data fell out and is stuck in the tachometer. It damaged the loading mechanism so now it won’t load the card on number 1 side