Faulty Analogue Tacograph

As in the title, mine seems to be on its way out as recently its occasionaly thrown a paddy and come up with an error messages after loading the chart meaning I have to eject the chart then re-enter it, then today it won’t play ball at all as the draw won’t even open so its going to have to go off to the taco center for some TLC :neutral_face:

So whats the options if the head unit needs replacing, will they have to give me a digi taco (2004 truck and I’ve no digi card)?
Will the whole caboodle need recalibrating on the rolling road if they do replace the head unit ?

Bit ■■■■■■ off about it as its recently had a 6 yearly taco total recalibration :unamused:

you can have it replaced with another analogue tacho, you do not have to have a digi tacho

you can, if you wish, have a digi fitted though, but, if the digi is fitted, you can’t swap it back to an analogue

sorry, forgot to add, when they fit the new tacho head unit, it will be calibrated as part of the price, this will be the first fit calibration, the next 2 will be 2 yearly

shuttlespanker:
sorry, forgot to add, when they fit the new tacho head unit, it will be calibrated as part of the price, this will be the first fit calibration, the next 2 will be 2 yearly

Thanks Rob, best get the old wheels and well worn tyres back on :grimacing:

my 06 plate TGA failed the 6 yearly calibration on driver 2, had a recon tacho head fitted, there was a problem with it, and the total down time was horrendous, faulty tacho head fitted, in the end, they fitted the new tacho head, did the installation, initial calibration, and also removed, cleaned and refitted the sender in the transmission, all for the cost of the tacho head unit :slight_smile:

shuttlespanker:
all for the cost of the tacho head unit :slight_smile:

Just out of interest how much is a head unit?

IIRC, it was a reconditioned head unit, not a brand new one, the recon was about £350 (ish), whereas, the new one was over double that price

Had mine done last year. Iirc £420 + vat at Volvo.

■■■■ having a digi.

Like stumpy said, it was inc all documentation.

Goaty:
[zb] having a digi.

I think theres a few of us with that opinion

New analogue head unit fitted, £480 +VAT inc fitting and calibration.

I think in that situation I would have taken the opportunity to upgrade to one of the new “exact” digital tachos. I know a couple of people with older trucks who have done that when the 6-yearly was due and they both reckon it was one of the best things they’ve ever done.

Paul

Each to their own I suppose Repton. I’m happy with the analogue, call me a Luddite but seems like an unnecessary move with no gain. I understand the exact digi’s are much better than the originals but still too big brother for my liking.

Inevitably I’ll end up with one when I replace mine but I won’t put one in voluntarily.

Goaty:
Each to their own I suppose Repton. I’m happy with the analogue, call me a Luddite but seems like an unnecessary move with no gain. I understand the exact digi’s are much better than the originals but still too big brother for my liking.

Inevitably I’ll end up with one when I replace mine but I won’t put one in voluntarily.

ditto, me to. While I can see the benefit for companies with a big staff keeping on the right side of the law, but for a one man band who monitors his own hours as he goes along, whats easier than putting charts away in a cupboard for safe keeping - v - shelling out £100’s for more electronic trickery to download drivers cards and data from head units and having to save it to a safe storage medium somewhere, and after a couple of days keeping manual records I’d go back to log books given the choice :grimacing:

I think what Repton is getting at is you can wring more actual driving hours out of the latest generation digi, perfectly legally.

Personally, I’ve got two trucks and a 4x4 all on paper so probably wouldn’t change unless I was changing them all. Hopefully the tacho for 4x4s requirement will go though as it’s not been interpreted the same way EU wide.

Own Account Driver:
I think what Repton is getting at is you can wring more actual driving hours out of the latest generation digi, perfectly legally.

That is essentially the point, yes. The chap in question ran tippers on grain work and it meant he could record a 45 whilst sat in a slow moving queue at a mill, for example, which you couldn’t do on analogue without it recording driving each time you shunted up.

Paul

Stick with analogue,was pulled in France recently…‘card’ he barked and looked with disgust as I handed over 28 cards,spent a few minutes shuffling them,I keep them in order,and almost threw them back at me.
Hasn’t taken them long to give up reading cards when they can stick a card into their computor kept in the boot,digi…no way.

It’s probably a chart table fault, look for a tacho centre that does stone ridge or skillray recon analogue heads supplied fitted and calibrated u,ll be looking at 350+ the queens cut!!

Been back to the tacho center this morning with the newly fitted (2 wks old) head, chuffing thing keeps flashing a big ‘’!‘’ on the head display and sending error messages to the truck dashboard.
A quick phonecall from the tacho center to Kienzle technical support reiterating the error message and…‘‘we havn’t a king clue what it means, we’ll send a new head out’’ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
So yippee doo oh joy, another morning at the tacho center enduring a complete recalibration to look forward to :neutral_face:

Iirc I had a new sender unit(?) fitted about 12 months before the new head unit, as mine kept flashing up a fault on the dash and a ! On the H/U.

Hth. :confused:

Goaty:
Iirc I had a new sender unit(?) fitted about 12 months before the new head unit, as mine kept flashing up a fault on the dash and a ! On the H/U.

Hth. :confused:

On weds they plugged their diagnostic box of tricks into the H/U and it diagnosed several power failure error codes, this was despite it recording perfect charts without any tell tale power failure peaks, so a new unit was ordered and they reset the H/U to clear the codes and I went back to the yard.
Whatever they did really upset it as I parked it for three hours and then set off on my next job finishing around 9.30pm, but despite the H/U showing the correct time, according to the tacho chart I finished at 6.30pm :confused:

Anyway another new head arrived and was fitted yesterday, and despite an error message before I got 100 yds from the tacho center :confused: Doh!!, its actually now recording hours driven on the trucks dashboard trip computer again and otherwise seems to be behaving with no more messages or ‘’!‘’'s, touch wood :neutral_face: