Fatal a19 collision

http://m.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/trucker-arrested-after-biker-and-passenger-killed-in-a19-smash-1-5832182

Just read HGV driver been arrested again lol , rip to those involved

Maybe they are talking about easington services, ive never heard of them referred to as hawthorn? Wonder if its anything to do with the tiny slip where people just come out willy nilly whilst your doing 50 and slice you up good and proper :unamused:

Not much of a slip road out of Easington services to build up much speed. Can’t see an off road bike being easy to see at 2:30am either

Such a shame! At that time in the morning the road would’ve been deserted.
Hard to comprehend how such a tragedy could’ve occurred ■■
RIP

You know what concerns me about these type of incidents nowadays, its this…

The HGV driver was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.

Investigating officer Sergeant Jonathan Morgan has appealed for anyone who may have seen either of the vehicles prior to the collision to come forward.

No one knows anything more than the outcome of the incident, but the Police have enough “suspicion” to arrest. Best thing any driver can say is nothing at all, just say i’ll answer any questions in court you carry on with your investigation i don’t want to jeapordise myself thanks.

Hawthorn Services is the old name for what is now Easington Services, early reports on radio Newcastle also said there was a fire but I haven’t seen anything on telly about the collision, it will likely be reported tomorrow. This is biker weather and an extra awareness is needed by everyone, they can appear very quickly and also be hidden by blind spots as we know. Very sad event and more so when the blame is put on the surviving drivers shoulders, this sort of rule needs to change, if there were no witnesses it can only be the Police Officer heading the incident investigation that decides were the initial blame must lie. Would it not be better just to caution until all the true facts are known if possible, in the end it might just be the HGV drivers word if there were no other witness statements. Therefore will he be believed if an Officer has already put the blame on his side!

Mike-C:
You know what concerns me about these type of incidents nowadays, its this…

The HGV driver was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.

Investigating officer Sergeant Jonathan Morgan has appealed for anyone who may have seen either of the vehicles prior to the collision to come forward.

No one knows anything more than the outcome of the incident, but the Police have enough “suspicion” to arrest. Best thing any driver can say is nothing at all, just say i’ll answer any questions in court you carry on with your investigation i don’t want to jeapordise myself thanks.

Ever since Lord Hanningfield won £3.5k for wrongful arrest, I’ve been chatting to my Barrister buddy about why drivers are arrested at the scene of RTC’s. The full answer requires an understanding of the law somewhere around the level of a Barrister.

The short answer is that the Police have a duty to seize the evidence, the other driver IS the evidence.

Cos’ we’re out riding bikes, usually in a group, he’s school’d all of us in how to handle being arrested. Top of the list is “No Comment” until you have received respected legal advice.

I must have just missed that. I left peterlee at around 2ish