Fastrack JCB crushes car (Glasgow)

dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/d … Sz2GyMj.97

This has happened within the last hour or so. Looks to be a very bad one, 4 people in the car :cry:

*Amended headline

Was just about to post this.
1 of the car passengers has died I think but that might just be a rumour at this stage

That looks awful. The digger hasn’t fallen off though, it sounds as though the whole combo has run away down the hill.

One day reporters will actually write correct information instead of being in such a hurry to be first to report something “of interest”

Even a complete idiot can see that it was a JCB fastrack (a tractor) pulling a lowloader and not a lorry, i know this of no consolation or importance to the victims but it just ■■■■■■ me off because when it’s a transit tipper van in an accident it’s a “lorry” when it’s a puddle jumper involved it’s a “LGV” I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a supertanker crashes into a dinghy in the harbour then it’d probably also be called a “Lorry crash” by the “wannabe internet media reporters”

Having said all that my thoughts and sympathies go out to all involved.

Looks like it was a farm fastrack that was the tow vehicle. Might be a tightening up on agricultural towing after this.

Does look like it might have been a tail wagging the dog.

One tv news story says as it came down the hill avoiding cars ,that the driver then turned in to the fence ,and the trailer then swung round killing the motorist ,So in trying to avoid 1 accident he inadvertently caused another .Apparently the Vauxhall corsa was flattened…I know that road well,i used to live just at the top of the hill and would cycle up and down that hill as a child …Don’t think I could walk up it now

I don’t know the circumstances.

But I started a thread last year about agricultural vehicles towing excavators etc.

Fact is, if its one of the old fastracs, their brakes are bloody awful.

Wasn’t it law in Scotland where you could use a fast track instead of a tractor unit thus getting round the HGV licence?

All said it’s sad news and R.I.P if anybody has lost life. :frowning:

one man at the scene said ‘it come off one of the lorries’ :frowning:

tango boy:
Wasn’t it law in Scotland where you could use a fast track instead of a tractor unit thus getting round the HGV licence?

All said it’s sad news and R.I.P if anybody has lost life. :frowning:

I think it’s perfectly legal to tow plant (unless it falls within the STGO classifications) with an agricultural vehicle provided the journey is for agricultural purposes; is not for hire or reward; and does not exceed a certain radius.

Anyhow, my point here (and in my thread last year) is that these vehicles simply aren’t suited for the task of towing heavy gear.

We get someone with a Fastrac (an old one too) to low loader our 13t excavator on the rare occasions it goes out on a job (spends the summer months in our yard with a screening bucket on). It’s much cheaper than an artic but the owner does properly secure it and will only take one bucket with it (not our screening bucket as it’s too heavy) as it pushes close to the mgw (24t?) with just the digger on.
He must be the exception though as it’s not uncommon to see farmers moving plant about with a gutless Manitou, going no faster than 15mph and not a load restraint in sight.

carryfast-yeti:

you expect that from fernhilliens. :blush:

Muckaway:
We get someone with a Fastrac (an old one too) to low loader our 13t excavator on the rare occasions it goes out on a job (spends the summer months in our yard with a screening bucket on). It’s much cheaper than an artic but the owner does properly secure it and will only take one bucket with it (not our screening bucket as it’s too heavy) as it pushes close to the mgw (24t?) with just the digger on.
He must be the exception though as it’s not uncommon to see farmers moving plant about with a gutless Manitou, going no faster than 15mph and not a load restraint in sight.

31 tons now , trailer max stays the same at just under 19 ton , so the bigger tractors 11, 12 ,14 ton etc can still tow and not worry about overweight , which is a safer option

mozzy666:

carryfast-yeti:

you expect that from fernhilliens. :blush:

:astonished: didn’t you notice it was at blairbeth :unamused: :smiley: :smiley:

Tragic accident. It is about time that agricultural vehicles are tested as all others are. Also I think tractor drivers sif always towing a latge or small trailer should have to do a test. As one who grew up on a farm I was driving a tractor soon as I was old enough to climb into it and was 13 driving it pulling a harvester behind me and I drove those for years and no checks were ever made. I shudder to think about those days now I once reversed over my cousin and was lucky he suffered no harm he was just a butterball at the time grew up to be a professional footballer and is now the physio for Notts Forest. Seriously there is a dire lack of training or testing and never has been for farmers and their offspring who drive their tractors. Some are a real menace on the open roads

I was told at a H and S course for DCPC that more operators/labourers are killed on farms than on building sites or in quarries.

Muckaway:
I was told at a H and S course for DCPC that more operators/labourers are killed on farms than on building sites or in quarries.

Not sure how accurate the figures are but yes, it can be quite a dangerous environment to work in. The main problems being it is very mechanised, often run on tight margins, and usually sole working. So you have stressed individuals, cutting corners to save brass, often operating bloody lethal equipment (PTO’s; bailers; haybobs etc).

It was always drummed into me to turn the PTO off and drop the hydraulics if your ever working on the machinery…but so often I see operators still merrily messing about at the back with all the kit going…

One incident up here last year, a farmer was bailing and there was a jam in the bailer, so he got out to sort it and the hydraulics eased, trapping him inside and being slowly crushed to death. He was still alive when someone found him 8 hrs later; but died shortly after being released - toxic shock they call it.