fasten up

Arrived at Asda, Skem today and told by the chap at the gatehouse that it’s now site policy for people on site to have their HiViz fastened up.
This follows an incident where a person was injured, and though they were wearing a Hiviz because it wasn’t fastened in the middle, the insurance company reduced the compensation payout by half.
Are there no levels to which these companies won’t sink to , to avoid payment.
The strange thing is, yesterday, I was at asda chilled, Wakefield, and nothing was said.

is that when out the cab , when walking about ?, i got told on monday not to wear on when driving, due to a large claim as it dazzles other road users,

And I bet there were back pats all round for this idea, how stupid.

I suppose the same could apply to cyclists that wear a hi-viz vest and then put a rucksack on their back.

holliefabbabe:
is that when out the cab , when walking about ?, i got told on monday not to wear on when driving, due to a large claim as it dazzles other road users,

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,that memo did make me laugh,you’ll dazzle other drivers if you wear a hi- viz in cab,who makes this ■■■■ up. :unamused: :unamused:

I assume it’s just for out of the cab

What has to be remembered is that those employed in the H&S industry have to justify their existence and will continue to overrule the use of common sense to do it. Many of the rules in force on customers premises are totally ignored or don’t require to be complied with by their own employees.

Many H&S rules only seem to be relevant when managers are present, i.e. during normal office hours. Come the evenings and weekends anything goes.

I imagine there are quite a few drivers who would be unable to fasten them up :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I was asked at Asda XDC Warrington to fasten up my Hi-Vis as it was H&S rules, I asked him to show me the directive from the HSE that states this, he could not as it is not a rule from the HSE. He went on to say will it’s a site rule.
I stood there and pretended to try and do it up at which point he said that I would have to get another one that did fit, my reply was “Are asda going to supply me with one then” he said we can not do that you have to have your own hi-vis,
“I have my own, I wearing it and I’ve never had a problem with it at any other of the hundreds of sites I’ve been to inc Asda ones” to which he said well you need to do it up here, “if you want me to get a new one then you can pay for it then”, to which he just walked off mumbling to himself. :smiley:

plank:
I was asked at Asda XDC Warrington to fasten up my Hi-Vis as it was H&S rules, I asked him to show me the directive from the HSE that states this, he could not as it is not a rule from the HSE. He went on to say will it’s a site rule.
I stood there and pretended to try and do it up at which point he said that I would have to get another one that did fit, my reply was “Are asda going to supply me with one then” he said we can not do that you have to have your own hi-vis,
“I have my own, I wearing it and I’ve never had a problem with it at any other of the hundreds of sites I’ve been to inc Asda ones” to which he said well you need to do it up here, “if you want me to get a new one then you can pay for it then”, to which he just walked off mumbling to himself. :smiley:

Not really, Its up to your company to supply PPE and ensure it is fit for purpose IE it Fits .any company that has a policy (That’ll be most) that states Hi viz must be worn in this area for example can expect that a hi-viz will fit correctly ie by being fastened correctly.
The option for the then company would be to reject the inbound load as breach of contract. The contract would be in the terms that you have not adhered to the company H&S at work requirements , It doesn’t have to be a H&S EXECUTIVE ( Gov body) to be H&S.

roughyed:
Arrived at Asda, Skem today and told by the chap at the gatehouse that it’s now site policy for people on site to have their HiViz fastened up.
This follows an incident where a person was injured, and though they were wearing a Hiviz because it wasn’t fastened in the middle, the insurance company reduced the compensation payout by half.
The strange thing is, yesterday, I was at asda chilled, Wakefield, and nothing was said.

Name and shame the Insurance co. that sank to employing this lame excuse. Absolute slugs. Theyre little more than licensed swindlers. Is this entirely legal - in as much as is it written specifically into the t&cs of the policy, or is it contestable I wonder? :question:

■■■■■■■:

roughyed:

Name and shame the Insurance co. that sank to employing this lame excuse. Absolute slugs. Theyre little more than licensed swindlers. Is this entirely legal - in as much as is it written specifically into the t&cs of the policy, or is it contestable I wonder? :question:

it could be failing to conform to site regulations in the form of inadequate PPE supplied by the OP’s company. like I said above. a bit like if something drops on your foot and you only have flip flps on whose liable…

roughyed:

It,s at every asda site but some are more strickt than others, i got chucked out of the ambiant asda site at normanton for not having it fastend in the middle. Called boss n told him and was told to fetch load to yard so i assume another driver tipped it.

nick2008:

■■■■■■■:

roughyed:

it could be failing to conform to site regulations in the form of inadequate PPE supplied by the OP’s company. like I said above. a bit like if something drops on your foot and you only have flip flps on whose liable…

How would they know that it wasn’t fastened to begin with and became un-fastened during the incident?

Most are only velcro (I know some are zipped) to would easily open

Could we also assume that it must have been fastened to allow him onto site in the first place?
Shame we don`t know the real ins and outs of the incident. Always a bit murky, these cases.

It’s been like that at the ASDA George site on Brackmills for quite a while.

Why do drivers always want to be so confrontational? No wonder we end with a bad name. :unamused:

I fail to see how fastening a little strip of Velcro is going to ruin your day. What happened to ‘customer service’? When did it change to ‘stuff the customer’ because that is what it seems too many drivers would rather do?

I dislike OTT H&S as much as the next person; when ‘reasonably practicable’ is ignored and justifying ones position takes over, it’s a sad day. Having said that, there’s no argument that a person wearing a fastened hi-viz garment if far more visible, from the front, than one who is wearing it open.

plank:

Reminds me of a friend who was called into a disclipinary meeting for not wearing a hi vis vest on site.

The chair opened the meeting with “This disciplinary meeting is regarding you being seen on site without a hi viz vest”.

My friend replied “You have just summed up my defence perfectly by stating I was seen without a hi viz thus proving that I was perfectly safe without having it on”

■■■■■■■:

roughyed:

I suspect that this was just made up as a reason to get people to fasten their Hi Viz.

The chances of an unfastened Hi Viz reducing a claim by anything let alone half are in my opinion pretty remote because for it to have had an effect on the claim pay out the fact it was unfasten would have had to have contributed to the accident.

It s the same at every asda I ve been to

When I worked at luton airport, the policy on the ramp was, it’s only a high viz if its done up…no idea what it is if its not done up though