Fast tickover on Volvos?

On the Mercs you can set the engine to fast idle by pulling and holding the cruise control lever for a few seconds (to build up air pressure quicker) Does anyone know if it’s possible to do similar on Volvos?

Cheers, Nez

Hold the brake pedal, hold CC switch in the “resume” position for 3 secs, release it and adjust idle with the CC up and down buttons, then to set the new idle hold “resume” again for 3 secs together with either of the up or down buttons of the CC and release all, new engine idle speed is now stored. From the factory they come preset at 600rpm, you can adjust idle from to 550-650 if I remember correctly.

Thanks, will try it tomorrow (though sod’s law says I’ll been using Actros’s for the rest of the week)!

Do what my mate’s neighbour did with his old Merc SK unit that he used to bring home and park in his concreted-over front garden.

Set alarm for 4 am on winter morning…go straight out to the truck, start-up, and wedge accelerator pedal down with a brick and a piece of wood.

Go back indoors and have breakfast.

Come out to a nicely defrosted cab, and full air tanks.

He only did it once, and couldn’t see what the problem was, until it was ‘explained’ to him!

It shouldnt take that long to build your air up that you need to put c,c on,unless the trailers been parked up for yonks,my gaffer would have a dicky fit if he caught us doing that :cry: :cry:

wheelnutt:
Hold the brake pedal, hold CC switch in the “resume” position for 3 secs, release it and adjust idle with the CC up and down buttons, then to set the new idle hold “resume” again for 3 secs together with either of the up or down buttons of the CC and release all, new engine idle speed is now stored. From the factory they come preset at 600rpm, you can adjust idle from to 550-650 if I remember correctly.

That sounds like a permanent fix, if he only wants it to run fast for a minute or two he can adjust tickover with the ± buttons on the cruise control stalk while its in netural with the park brake on, to cancel you just hit the brake pedal or turn off the cruise control

As 205 said, or simply slide the resume switch to the left, and it will go straight to about 900rpm.Press the foot brake to cancel.

I think you have to press the brake pedal before you do it as well, same as if you start up and drive away, the cruise control wont work, you must press the brake pedal to activate cc.

Sorry Kindle530 not correct, just used my method on 12 plate FH13 and it goes straight to 1000rpm.
This facility is normally used when you’ve got pumping gear fitted, or a big pie in the microwave :laughing:

why not fix the air leak ?

434mike:
Sorry Kindle530 not correct, just used my method on 12 plate FH13 and it goes straight to 1000rpm.
This facility is normally used when you’ve got pumping gear fitted, or a big pie in the microwave :laughing:

oh well, fair do’s, been over 4 years since ive done it, as DHL will hang you upside down by your knackers if it ticks over too long :unamused:
You do have to tap the brakes between starting up and using cruise control when driving thou!

Just had a look in my manual, it says:

1. Depress the brake pedal
    The brake pedal should be depressed during the entire procedure.

2. Hold CC in RESUME position for three seconds

3. Release CC
    Idling speed will fall to the lowest setting possible.

4. Adjust engine speed with + / -

5. Hold CC in RESUME and at the same time depress + / - for more than three seconds.

6. Release the switches.

7. Release the brake pedal.
    The new idling speed is set.

It all makes sense however I can’t figure out how you’re meant to hold down + / - at the same time.

The manual states it can be adjusted from 550-650 (as mentioned earlier in the thread) but mine seemed to range from 500-700, I brought it down as low as 500 but it seemed like it was straining to keep the engine ticking over so I’ve kept mine at 600. HTH

DJC:
Just had a look in my manual, it says:

1. Depress the brake pedal
    The brake pedal should be depressed during the entire procedure.

2. Hold CC in RESUME position for three seconds

3. Release CC
    Idling speed will fall to the lowest setting possible.

4. Adjust engine speed with + / -

5. Hold CC in RESUME and at the same time depress + / - for more than three seconds.

6. Release the switches.

7. Release the brake pedal.
    The new idling speed is set.

It all makes sense however I can’t figure out how you’re meant to hold down + / - at the same time.

The manual states it can be adjusted from 550-650 (as mentioned earlier in the thread) but mine seemed to range from 500-700, I brought it down as low as 500 but it seemed like it was straining to keep the engine ticking over so I’ve kept mine at 600. HTH

:laughing: :laughing: you use + to increase the speed and - to decrease it, not both at same time.
The procedure above is for setting the idle speed for normal every day running
what he wants to do is have a fast idle, maybe 800 or 900 for a minute or two to build up air and then return to normal idle, same as what you would use to run the pto