FASCINATING

Just watched a DVD that was sent to me via a fellow member on here(non ■■■■!)
It’s a film from 1977 about a 3 truck convoy from London-Dohar. It was really interesting, and showed how things have changed in Europe since then. Anyway…It’s free to anyone who wants it.1st come 1st served. Pass it on when you finish with it. Enjoy. :sunglasses:

You can put me down for it!

Bacon Sandwich:
You can put me down for it!

PM Me and gimme yer’ address.I’ll post it.

is that Destination Doha Vern ?

If so , it is available also on you tube although you will have to watch in sections .

Destination Doha has been doing the rounds for quite a few years now. Still one of the best truck related documentaries around, even though it was filmed about 35 years ago! Scania 140’s and 141’s with a left hand drive Leyland Marathon tagging along. Lovely!

shade:
is that Destination Doha Vern ?

If so , it is available also on you tube although you will have to watch in sections .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ04eXwiE0k

Yes chap…It is the one. But this is double DVD, so quite handy.

Really good DVD, lent my copy to my brother and haven’t seen it since. :laughing:

That is one great video - One minute there pulling out of Dover and the next following an oil pipeline through the desert.

Just goes to show how much things have changed as those blokes were totally isolated back then and had only themselves and their own ingenuity to get the job done.

Just watched up to part 4 on YouTube, brilliant, how times have changed, like how they just casually strip hub down on German msa, had to laugh at beginning, when there’s a guy doing up the tilt, stood on fork truck forks, our health and safety man would pass out if he saw that, I ’ ll look forward to watching rest…

Does anyone know what these lads are doing now?

m4rky:

apperently dave poulton is a tesco’s driver, iirc frank hook did some work with harry monk and the other fellas dead.

Old Pond Publishing in Ipswich have it on mail order, as well as Ash’s book. :smiley:

jessicas dad:

m4rky:

apperently dave poulton is a tesco’s driver, iirc frank hook did some work with harry monk and the other fellas dead.

Its amazing the way life changes things; You have to have respect for these lads - Hey Harry is that right you used to work with these fella’s??

I watched it all on you tube in 10 min sections. Didnt cost too much on the dongle either as its in low def.

Watching it on You tube, What is £8000 a year equivalent now?

PinkLadyTrucker:

A quick trawl through the internet says the average wage in 1977 was £68.70 per week, which is £3572 pa.
The average wage 2011 was about £26,000 pa, so I work out thier wage would be about £58,200 pa.

However the average house price in 1977 was around £13,000, but in 2011 it was £165,000

muckles:

PinkLadyTrucker:

A quick trawl through the internet says the average wage in 1977 was £68.70 per week, which is £3572 pa.
The average wage 2011 was about £26,000 pa, so I work out thier wage would be about £58,200 pa.

However the average house price in 1977 was around £13,000, but in 2011 it was £165,000

I wonder if any driver is on anywhere close to £58,000, so much doubt it, probably the ave is around £25,000

I watch all 10 episodes on you tube, the trucks I was driving around for SCA were Iveco and DAFs, but the 1st was a X reg Bedford TM, but trucks back then wasnt as user friendly as they are now, The new drivers wouldnt know how to drive those trucks I fear

killsville:
Destination Doha has been doing the rounds for quite a few years now. Still one of the best truck related documentaries around, even though it was filmed about 35 years ago! Scania 140’s and 141’s with a left hand drive Leyland Marathon tagging along. Lovely!

I think you’ll find it’s a 110 & 140