Family in truck

Just wondering if anyone knows of any legal issues of taking my girlfriend and baby ■■■■■■■ a trip with me?

None. They will be classed as third party by the insurance company so covered.

Your main problem is going to be adequately securing the baby plus some delivery places won’t be happy with anyone below the age of 16.

Sadly just being able to take the missus and kid out with you for the day seem to be a dying thing due to all the backside covering going on. My eldest used to go all over with me in the school holidays when he was a nipper including the odd night out. He loved it. And then as time went on we found places, mainly supermarket RDCs, getting a bit funny.

The main problem nowadays is security not letting passengers on site,unless you do what i used to do and hide them on the bunk with the middle curtains closed,then your bolloxed if its a long tip and they need the toilet :cry: not worth the hassle pal.

There’s the fact that you only have 2 seats and 2 seat belts.
Where is baby going to go?

Don’t get me wrong, I spent a lot of my early years lying on a bunk in the fathers lorry.
Don’t think you’d get away with it anymore though.

My wife and young daughter have been all over Europe with me and I have never had any issues. I found a extra seat on Ebay with built in 3 point seat belt and removeaable attachment points (think it’s designed for a minibus) and attached it in the centre of the truck by bolting straight through the floor (luckily I have a flat floor, so fairly easy). I ran it past my insurance company and they seemed happy enough. I have been through a couple of police check points with them in and never had a problem. The work I do is mainly abnormal loads, so I am not in distribution centres etc, but as has already been pointed out this could be a issue if you are.

I was running out of spennymore for a company I got put in to do a night run one day and took the wife and kid as it was on a Friday there and back great fun until Monday morning when I got told to clean my cab out never mide

Thanks for the feedback guys, securing the baby on the passanger seat in her car seat shouldnt be a bother but then theres The whole thing with the missus sitting on the bed. What you guys say on that?

irish44:
Thanks for the feedback guys, securing the baby on the passanger seat in her car seat shouldnt be a bother but then theres The whole thing with the missus sitting on the bed. What you guys say on that?

That’s illegal as I understand it

this is your best bet

facebook.com/specialint/pho … =1&theater

You just wanted to show off your nice red V8 sing very nice seat belts too :grimacing:

haha i wish it was mine :laughing:

The law is people must wear seat belts if fitted. The caveat is that you can’t put 6 people in a 5 seater car and get away with it.

No law to prevent someone sitting (sleeping) on the bed though :wink:

Insurance is the biggest issue as Family would not be classed as being an employee.
Apart from that you never know what is around the corner as you might say.
Back in 72/73 I used to take my young son with me,he thought it was great,unfortunately a week after his last trip with me I had a bad accident on Grimsby docks and was hospitalised for three months in the old Scatho Rd hospital.What would have happened with him if he had been with me that trip, I shudder to think.
Nobody in my Family ever went on a trip with me again

lolipop:
Insurance is the biggest issue as Family would not be classed as being an employee.
Back in 72/73 I used to take my young son with me,he thought it was great,unfortunately a week after his last trip with me I had a bad accident on Grimsby docks and was hospitalised for three months in the old Scatho Rd hospital.What would have happened with him if he had been with me that trip, I shudder to think. I

Re insurance, WRONG. It’s a common misconception that none company passengers aren’t insured and it’s a line often pedalled by the company. The truth is that all passengers are insured if the vehicle is insured. Company policy may well dictate no passengers, but that’s all it is, company policy.

Sorry to hear about your accident but I’d like to say that if you took your thinking to its logical conclusion then you’d never carry a passenger in your car just in case you were involved in an accident.

I’ve been to a number of industry conferences where speakers have highlighted that a reason for the driver shortage is the ‘no kids in cabs rule’ as many of today’s drivers were yesterday’s children riding along with Dad.

There was a case involving a water tanker at a pop festival a few years ago where a driver’s son was killed when Dad rolled the lorry. Lots of bad publicity for the company concerned generated by the lad’s mother, and I think that frightened many companies off.

A minority of companies do still allow it though (at ABE Ledbury, the drivers are encouraged to take their grandchildren!), and more turn a blind eye.

the maoster:

lolipop:
Back in 72/73 I used to take my young son with me,he thought it was great,unfortunately a week after his last trip with me I had a bad accident on Grimsby docks and was hospitalised for three months in the old Scatho Rd hospital.What would have happened with him if he had been with me that trip, I shudder to think. I

Re insurance, WRONG. It’s a common misconception that none company passengers aren’t insured and it’s a line often pedalled by the company. The truth is that all passengers are insured if the vehicle is insured. Company policy may well dictate no passengers, but that’s all it is, company policy.

Sorry to hear about your accident but I’d like to say that if you took your thinking to its logical conclusion then you’d never carry a passenger in your car just in case you were involved in an accident.

Maoster :- It was not a motor accident,it was whilst unloading

Got my class one on nights when my lad was 12, now 17 and been taking him ever since… I’ve never asked but never been told no either, there’s nothing in company policy that states other wise so never had any problems. Most of the time I’m on bulkers but if we were ever on RDC then I just hid him on the bunk, wouldn’t of took him out if he was much younger mind… Too much hastle

I think it’s right to be honest as that’s what gets them interested, wouldn’t suggest for him to be driving a truck all his life but he certainly wants to do his class 1 when he’s old enough.

Oh we did have one problem once, trip to Scotland on the A7 window comes down and spews up all down the side of the cab :unamused:

The-Snowman:

irish44:

That’s illegal as I understand it

Are you sure as angus has camera men sat in the bunk in the police lorry

the maoster:

lolipop:

Yes, I agree with this. If one person is insured “for being an employee” and another one is “not insured” because they are an unauthorised passenger - that would imply phone calls to insurance companies at least being made for each and every trip with a vehicle! Who does that? - No one. It’s company policy to make any person an unauthorised passenger in the first place, which an insurance company might have a clause saying “tresspassers are not covered”. If you should take your kid with you, and they become a cropper - the firm will NOT declare that person as “unauthorised passenger” to the insurance comany, lest it blows the rest of their own cover. They’ll tell the insureres “Yeh, sure they had permission from us” - and then quietly deal with you behind the scenes… It’s hard of couse to pass a kid off as a “temp staff member” in this lie told to the insurers, hence why I believe it is such common company policy to not let MINORS in particular anywhere on the work site. If your son or daughter was aged 22 - you’d easily get away with it… Even if I didn’t. :blush:

I was suspended without pay once as a disciplinary procecedure for taking my then 22 year-old girlfriend out with me on a run. A larger part of the punishment however was the “cease and desist” aspect of it. - I was told that “If I did it again, I’d be sacked on the spot”. :frowning: