False Advertising

Sitting at home this afternoon feeling sorry for myself as I’m trying not to let flu develop, I did a search for HGV driver training. In the first 4 pages I’ve found no fewer than 7 false claims of DVSA Accreditation. One even quotes a registration number!! Fantastic as there’s no such thing!!

I have a meeting with DVSA next week where I will bring the topic up - again.

I strongly suggest that potential customers check claims made by the folks behind the websites. They are telling lies with this; what else are they saying that is untrue?

To check whether a trainer really is accredited, simply go to dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php. This is the government list of all LGV Accredited Centres. Quite simply, if their name isn’t on the list, they are not DVSA Accredited - regardless of what their website says.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Why don’t you phone them up as a potential candidate and question them? See how really full of bull they are.

Right, this is a massive bug bear of mine. Shysters think its ok to copy a logo of a known accreditation entity and slap it on their website, and on the side of their trucks and paperwork, all to gain customers.

I realise it might play against your personal sense of fair play Peter, but if you have found these sites making false claims, please just post the names on here. You couldn’t be held liable for anything you published that is a true statement.

It’s high time fire was fought with a bit of cooling water I think…

He can’t post them on here as it would be against the site rules also his claim would be unsubstantiated in the eyes of the moderators and site owners

I believe it wrong to go public at this stage. My research is far from complete and the proper way is to give the offenders the opportunity to correct their sites. If that doesn’t happen, then it’s maybe a different matter.

But, in the meantime, they trip themselves up immediately if folks take the trouble to check the list.

For myself, if I was buying a product or service and was told a barefaced lie, I wouldn’t continue negotiations as I would instantly loose confidence.

Given the information I have made clear, there’s no reason for anyone to fall foul of the shysters.

Once again, I emphasise that not being accredited does not automatically mean “bad”. But why are they not accredited?

But claiming to be accredited when they are not does, in my book, mean “bad”.

Why don’t you phone them up as a potential candidate and question them? See how really full of bull they are.

No need to waste my time. I already am very well aware of “how really full of bull they are.”

We have another so-called trainer, not far from us, who will give you dates for your training before mentioning the need for a medical, provisional licence, theory tests etc. How does that work? Obviously not accredited.

So there are only 16 accredited training centres, and 10 of them belong to Wallace School??

Meaning only 7 trainers in the UK are accredited centres?

Does being accredited actually mean anything,really though?

xichrisxi:

“This means you’ll practice where you’ll test” says the lie on a trainers website in Banbury…

xichrisxi:

I don’t like liars attempting to make money out of seeming to be something they are not. No in the real world you could be just as likely to pass at a non accredited centre, but I don’t see why businesses should be allowed to be economical with the truth in order to keep busy…

Meaning only 7 trainers in the UK are accredited centres?

Yes.

Yes. To achieve and maintain accreditation, the following has to be satisfied. It is audited each year and, if not up to standard, the renewal is not issued.

Instructors: have to be on DVSA Register.
Vehicles: have to be equipped with warning triangles, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
Maintenance records: have to be kept together with all vehicle documentation including MOT’s and insurances. Inspection sheets correctly completed and filed.
Training records: progress reports have to be kept for each candidate, checked by a senior member of staff and kept for audit
Training routes: have to be designed, documented and made public
Reversing area: correctly marked, sound surface and correct cones/barriers in place
Defect reports: completed correctly and actioned promptly. Auditable records to be kept.
Module 4 training equipment. Correct as per DVSA Specifications.
Insurances: Public liability/Employer liability insurances in place and correctly displayed.

That’s the basics.

This accreditation is the only quality control regime available to the industry. If an accredited trainer were to behave in the manner that some trainers do, action against the accreditation would, and should, be taken. It is operated by DVSA - the folks who conduct your driving test.

The registration of instructors - not compulsory - is achieved in 3 stages. Theory test (including questions on instructional technique), practical driving test (max of 5 driving faults - and they get marked readily) and a test of instructional ability (the examiner role plays being a candidate and the prospective instructor has to conduct an effective lesson). Many folks stumble at the 3rd stage and give up. Some don’t even get that far.

Given the information above, ask why more trainers aren’t accredited. It isn’t rocket science if the job is being done correctly with correctly registered instructors and proper facilities.

Yes, there are some who are not accredited that really are very good. But, IMO, they let themselves down by not sorting this out. BTW, they also dip out on the work that only goes to accredited trainers.

As always, buyer beware. There is a system to protect you. It’s up to you.

No in the real world you could be just as likely to pass at a non accredited centre

That isn’t actually the case demonstrated by statistics. Accredited centres regularly turn in a pass rate IRO 20% higher than other test centres. Of course, there are good, non accredited trainers who are also turning out a good pass rate but this is disguised as their average will be destroyed by the stupidly low pass rate of others using the same test centre.

This reinforces my case that, if a trainer is good, he should get accredited. Otherwise, the public is being left playing roulette with their future career and cash.

Peter Smythe:
Sitting at home this afternoon feeling sorry for myself as I’m trying not to let flu develop, I did a search for HGV driver training. In the first 4 pages I’ve found no fewer than 7 false claims of DVSA Accreditation. One even quotes a registration number!! Fantastic as there’s no such thing!!

I have a meeting with DVSA next week where I will bring the topic up - again.

I strongly suggest that potential customers check claims made by the folks behind the websites. They are telling lies with this; what else are they saying that is untrue?

To check whether a trainer really is accredited, simply go to dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php. This is the government list of all LGV Accredited Centres. Quite simply, if their name isn’t on the list, they are not DVSA Accredited - regardless of what their website says.

Also there’s at least 2 on the trucknet users recommend thread…

Fraud isn’t it Pete? Never mind DVSA, you should be tapping up trading standards and if anyone is diddled out of money :

actionfraud.police.uk/

Hope you get the buggers dealt with.

I’m still waiting for independent confirmation that the coffee machine is free Pete! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
I’m still waiting for independent confirmation that the coffee machine is free Pete! :wink:

Definitely free, was on Saturday anyway :smiley:

What would be the point of making false claims? Some companies try a play on words and try to sneak DVSA trainer qualified as Company accredited. It is completely different as Pete has pointed out.

They get away with it because most people believe what they read. How many people go onto the ABTA website to check out their holiday providers claims of accreditation?

The DVSA will threaten serious action against the false claims as and when they become aware of it.

Why are there so few accredited training companies ? I believe it’s mostly the reversing area requirement which needs to be marked out exactly at 66x11 metres to very precise markings. Most trainers including us would struggle with this although our reversing area is 100% adequate for the job.

The reversing area is, without doubt, a stumbling block for some trainers. But in 2008 we had the very first private driving test centre in the UK as a trial. When it was rolled out, quite a few trainers took advantage of the facility. So they have correctly marked reversing areas. But still the vast majority are still not accredited. Some, cleverly, mention things like “DVSA Accredited Test Centre”. But this does NOT mean they are an accredited training centre. Totally different thing.

Very rarely do I disagree with LGV Trainer, but I do on this occasion. I certainly wont fall out with him over it and he, himself, is a registered instructor doing a really good job. But I believe folks don’t make it onto the accredited list because they don’t employ registered instructors OR they see no value in the scheme. There is very little else to worry about.

Before anyone decides who to train with I strongly suggest they visit the potential trainer, check it out, and compare with us. The utube link is in my signature. The choice is yours.

F-reds:

xichrisxi:

“This means you’ll practice where you’ll test” says the lie on a trainers website in Banbury…

I think you’re referring to JLD, I’ve been told their depot in Steventon is used for tests (the old military vehicle reserve place where the green goddesses were stored).

Why isn’t it on the .gov website then?