Falling over

Why do I keep reading or hearing about HGV’s on their sides.

I’m not talking about poor weather it seems to happen without cross winds.

Admittedly they are heavier now, but not wider or higher, is it poor loading or just going too fast?

going too fast.

People going too fast or not securely strapping loads in curtainsider’s seems to be the main causes in the ones I’ve seen.

or sharp steering and/or braking at the same time - this can happen even at lowish speeds

Tobyjug,

its a combination of all the above but with one added issue, as a driver you are responsible for the load and how it has been loaded. But how many get to actually load the trailer or have a say in how it is loaded? the answer is not very many. I think most have driven trailers with first drop items being the heaviest but placed on top of other light goods. The centre of gravity is shot and a sharp turn and a couple of miles an hour can be the difference from being upright or turned over. With double deckers this is a big issue.

Going back a few years the driver was responsible for supervising the loading etc. and still should be by rights. But now its here is your trailer and your tips and off you go, alright you still strap etc. (or some do) but if you wanted the load changed around would you get support, the Transport Office will say on yer bike!!!

I shift mainly large generators (1mva and bigger so 10T to 26T each) and transformers, due to the load most of the weight is high so I am very careful on bends etc. Touch wood the rubber has stayed on the ground so far!! :smiley: :wink:

Could it be that after having a load on it’s back,the trailer is tired and fancies a lie down? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

a55 towards wrexham,down the hill nr broughton,landrover,2 axle trailer with a van on it,on its side,arse end of landy up in air,bit of a speed wobble methinks?

I know a girl who rolled an EMPTY artic doing less than 20mph, so to jump on the speed bandwagon is probably wrong.

He has no idea why it went over it wasnt windy it was a straight road and there was no proof that the flat tyre caused it…

I agree that speed,load and conditions can be to blame but NOT ALL The time.

I had a high 45’ container on today, on a Tandem trailer. Focused the mind on roundabouts :open_mouth:

jammymutt:
I know a girl who rolled an EMPTY artic doing less than 20mph, so to jump on the speed bandwagon is probably wrong.

He has no idea why it went over it wasnt windy it was a straight road and there was no proof that the flat tyre caused it…

I agree that speed,load and conditions can be to blame but NOT ALL The time.

OH to know a girl that would roll over easily :laughing:

Still searching Mr Vain!! lol :smiley: :smiley:

Touch wood nothing serious up to now, but I’ve had my moments. I cut my teeth early in my driving career doing containers in the eighties. Still remember my first trip with a maximum weight box on the old 20 foot skelly. :cry: Made me appreciate the potential dangers of a heavy load. The old southbound Auchinkilns roundabout in ■■■■■■■■■■■ was a favourite rest place for the 20 footers on their sides. John G Russell, formerly from Gartcosh, had a season ticket I think. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tobyjug:
Why do I keep reading or hearing about HGV’s on their sides.

I’m not talking about poor weather it seems to happen without cross winds.

Admittedly they are heavier now, but not wider or higher, is it poor loading or just going too fast?

try east european bad drivers .goggle it zbs :laughing:yes i hate the zbs last 10 years accidents fatalitys that theve caused sorry but they took my job .as my employer at the time (mcpheresons of aberlour ) wanted monkeys .he got them HOW MANY DEATHS were they responsiblie.driving 44 ft ADR tankers down roads they didnt know getting chased by the office .(and they were chased) me i estimate a minimum of 12 deaths in 18 months .how many since i lost intrest :question: any one want to cut accidents .then stop bringing the neanderthals to this country , :bulb:

Sorry to hijack, but you also noticed how many bridge strikes there are now aswell? :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Never hear of women drivers hitting them do you?

Think its men who can’t get the idea of measurements? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ie 6" = 11" :sunglasses: :blush:

found this 4 minute collection of LGV ‘mishaps’

ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EgLwP1TjR … re=related

speed limiters stop you from pulling out of a roll.

I’ve lost count of the amount of forklift drivers that won’t load the trailer how you want it only to be told to remove the load as it’s not going. It’s never worth the risk.

Beverley bell makes them roll over with her stare. :laughing: allegedly. :laughing: